Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several incidents of Polaris General breaking the backup chain? Have they resolved this?
I've owned Polaris's in the past and always watched everything like crazy, I was kind of hoping I didn't have to do that as much as I did 20 years ago, but maybe I do.
Is there anything I should be looking for over the first 20-30 hours, I'm always concerned with Polaris that I may have bought a Monday lemon, or a Friday I forgot that part model.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Still reverse chain. My understanding is the Turbo RZR and one of the Ranger models are the only ones with geared reverse.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yep Turbo RZR and the 2020 XP Ranger if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here was a good post showing some options for reverse chains. I’m sure there have been updates since then.

I got a little lucky this past winter towing the ice house on lake. To get it moving I was rocking back and forth. I didn’t know that was a no-no, so I won’t be doing that anymore. Tire chains are cheap and should greatly improve traction next winter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well dam, this sucks, I knew I should have waited for Yamaha to put out a 1000cc X2 Wolverine.
Buy a UTV that lists for almost $22,000 and have to be careful putting in reverse, that's a bunch of CRAP!!

I really liked all the features of the Wolverine, but the more power and a little sharper look of the General won out.
That being said, if the power had been closer, I would have went with the Wolverine just because I know it will be much more reliable over time.
I think the Wolverine has a 10 year guarantee on the belt, for goodness sake, that is kind of crazy, they can guarantee a belt for 10 years, and I can't pull someone out in reverse on a UTV that was $4500 more than the top of the line Yamaha equivalent.

I wonder how many people just bite the bullet and install the stronger chain before something happens and I wonder how often Polaris covers it under warranty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Overall, very few people have a problem with the reverse chain.
It is not good to pull someone with reverse with any 4WD vehicle.
Maybe you should trade for a Wolverine and just put up with it's shortcomings.
The reason the general is $4500 more than the Wolverine is because it is worth $4500 more.
Maybe you need to check out the latest problem with the 850 Wolveine, the dropping valves problem.
That sure would be a bummer to have that happen.
Probably as bad as breaking a chain.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You don't have to be careful putting it in reverse. It will back up just fine without breaking the chain. You have to be careful running oversized tires and getting it stuck in the mud, then mashing the go pedal to the floor. Everything man made has a weak link. If you're a responsible vehicle owner and don't beat the ever living crap out of your machine, it will last you a long time. If you bought a General for $22k, it came with a winch. Learn to use it. Then you eliminate that chance of breaking the reverse chain. Yamaha, Kawasaki, even (gasp) Honda have their limitations and weak links. If you're just a beat the **** out of it kind of driver, you'll break one of them too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with what your saying, the problem with a winch is and yes, I have the deluxe with the winch, is it's always simpler to go out the way you came in, which makes it a PIA to use the winch without getting fancy; and yes I know there are many way to do that, it's just not simple.
2nd, I 100% agree with you on the weak point theory, I've been preaching that one to my boys (21 and 24) for years, you put on bigger tires, now instead of getting stuck, like you should have you twist a drive shaft or ????
I get it, I'm just put off, I've been looking for 2-3 years at S x S and quit buying Polaris products 15 years ago because they were too heavy, quality control was always an issue, and their "weak points" always seemed to be complicated. I've already spun the belt on this thing in 4-low, %100 stock pulling up a 12" log and it wasn't on the first day it was after gentle break in as it should be. Now to think, If I had done that in reverse I may have very well snapped a major component that is a PIA to replace and in some cases Polaris is not fixing under warranty. Just seems wrong.

I'm good, I like the machine, I just have to learn and accept it's quirks, which every thing on earth has. Another words "Here's a big cup of shut the F-**k up and enjoy it"

I have a weather proof label maker I use at work, I already printed out a warning label that will be going on the dash: "CAUTION: Do not tow or pull hard in reverse" Remember the 21 and 24 year old mentioned above! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reverse chain wasn’t a problem for me but I destroyed a snorkel gear and the driveshaft on my general

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with what your saying, the problem with a winch is and yes, I have the deluxe with the winch, is it's always simpler to go out the way you came in, which makes it a PIA to use the winch without getting fancy; and yes I know there are many way to do that, it's just not simple.
2nd, I 100% agree with you on the weak point theory, I've been preaching that one to my boys (21 and 24) for years, you put on bigger tires, now instead of getting stuck, like you should have you twist a drive shaft or ????
I get it, I'm just put off, I've been looking for 2-3 years at S x S and quit buying Polaris products 15 years ago because they were too heavy, quality control was always an issue, and their "weak points" always seemed to be complicated. I've already spun the belt on this thing in 4-low, %100 stock pulling up a 12" log and it wasn't on the first day it was after gentle break in as it should be. Now to think, If I had done that in reverse I may have very well snapped a major component that is a PIA to replace and in some cases Polaris is not fixing under warranty. Just seems wrong.

I'm good, I like the machine, I just have to learn and accept it's quirks, which every thing on earth has. Another words "Here's a big cup of shut the F-**k up and enjoy it"

I have a weather proof label maker I use at work, I already printed out a warning label that will be going on the dash: "CAUTION: Do not tow or pull hard in reverse" Remember the 21 and 24 year old mentioned above! :rolleyes:
Toss a rear winch on and youll be golden

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
A good tow strap works well too! I have a 2013 Ranger XP with 14,000 miles and not one issue with the reverse chain on it. Last year I sold my 2018 General 4 with 5000 miles on it no issues with the reverse chain. I now have 1500 miles on my new 2020 General 4 1000 XP Deluxe no reverse chain issues and I don't expect any. I will follow up this saying I never use reverse pulling someone out, either winch or tow strap works for me. Moreover, I have no Turf Mode problems either. I loved my 2018 G4, but I love my 2020 1000 XP Deluxe more because it has all the things that the previous should have had like the 15 inch wheels, Walker Evans Shocks and 30 inch wheels. The ride is incredible!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a side note, I wanted to know the exact facts so I emailed Polaris, they called today and (as you all know) the reverse is still indeed a chain but it is not a "known" issue for breakage under normal use. The fellow on the phone told me it's a result of towing, rocking/slamming into reverse, over acceleration, oversized tires and a few other things. Some of them I get, but the "over acceleration I called him on, I said "really, a UTV that lists for almost 21,000 and if I put it in reverse and punch-it something might break?" he paused for a moment and went on to tell me how rare it is and he's not heard of many with the 20's, not sure what that meant since they are the same as the 19's and the xxxx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just yanked out my buried 2500 pound tractor in reverse with the general. Stuck in mud. I really had to get after it to. No problems yet. Its stuck again and gonna have to do it again lol. If anything breaks i will post how the warranty is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts