Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to ride the G for a few hours. We rode a lot of forest service roads and a mixture of trails and muddy skid trails. After figuring out why the thing wouldn't do more than 15 MPH, I fastened my seat belt and hit the wow pedal. As said elsewhere this would be a bit of a comparison to my 570 RZR, and the pedal is definitely WOW in comparison. The ride was spectacular on gravel roads with good control, no over/under steering, and braking was precise and reliable. My greatest concern was wet weather, and it was raining off and on at times heavy. Not a drop of water entered the cab. This machine is dry inside. Note I have Polaris accessories including the top, glass windscreen, upper doors, and rear poly window. Having said that, when I ran through water and it splashed on the engine area, it fogged up inside pretty bad. I had to wipe the inside of the windows frequently. Along that line, the windshield wiper and factory mirror obscures a lot of my visibility. I am tall at 6'4" so I found myself scrunching down a lot to see to the right. Another note about the add-ons. Not having windows that open in the doors, is a pain in the butt. If you want to talk to another driver while stopped, you have to open the door to talk. Getting off road a bit and running some trails with pretty severe water bars, the machine was a mixed bag. Being bigger, it can toss you around a bit at times, and other times the water bars seem to disappear. It is a matter of how you approach them (angle of attack) I think. My RZR seemed to float over them with ease. I am not one to remove the torsion bar, but I think that would make a lot of difference to the positive side. We hit one road that was pure slick mud. Everyone's tires loaded up immediately and the accent up the road was an adventure in ice skating. Coming back down was even more fun. My little 570 got caught on a high spot, and the driver blew a front axel. He turned hard right and gunned it. The CV went ka-blooey. The G performed really well. I was riding with a third driver in an Arctic Cat 650 Prowler. He did really well too. The 570, being so short and a little low, had moments when it struggled with clearance. Another feature that drew me to the G was ease of entry and exit from the car. This paid off in spades. It is very easy on this old man in that regard. One thing I wanted to check out and didn't get the chance to do, was someone said that power in reverse was limited. I didn't check that out, so maybe someone can verify or dispel that rumor. Sorry this post is so scatter-brained. It is just a jumble of thoughts and opinions in no precise order. I just wrote them down as they occurred to me. Oh, I did drag race the little 570, It was surprisingly close for the difference in HP. The G weighs 500 pounds more and the 570 had a second rider, but it stayed up with me rather well. Of course when the 570 topped out at 50 something, the G just kept on going faster. Engine braking performed well, and the power steering performed as expected - no surprises there at all. The cab seemed pretty quiet and you could probably listen to a radio without blasting it too loudly. Conversations should rather easy. The leg room was about maxed out for my tall size, but sitting up was comfortable for me. I like the RZR seating, but there just isn't enough leg room for all day rides. Even the little bit of side hilling we did, the G didn't seem tipsy to me. Having rolled and endoed down a canton in a RZR in the past, I was surprised how confident I felt in the G. The G met all my expectations, but I will have to solve the fog problem. I hope this ride report helps anyone considering a G. Remember, ride safe, ride insured.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more thoughts and I guess I should have to you what I have. It is a 17 Hunter edition, pursuit camo in color. I' not sure where it falls on the list from basic model to deluxe version, but it came with a winch and gun boots. Another thought I had was the Polaris windshield wiper. It covers very little of the passenger side. My RZR was the same way so I added a manual wiper to the passenger side. That is not an option on the G. The windshield is all glass with no bezel to drill for the additional wiper. Maybe the action has adjustment for sweep. Most do. It doesn't bother me as a driver, but a hunting partner wouldn't be happy I am sure. I am a Maxxis Bighorn fan, and the tires on the G are not Bighorns. They seemed OK for the purpose, and when we were in the mud, the Bighorns on the RZR loaded up just as fast as mine did. Mine didn't seem to clean out much when I spun them, so new tires may be in the mix. The Bighorns on the RZR cleaned out well. I am going to get the FUTV skid plate and a-arm guards. I am being real good to my wife so maybe Santa will bring them to me for Christmas. I think I have my RZR sold, so that will definitely buy me a few aftermarket options. The trailer I am building is on hold. We had to put it outside to make room for the elk we have hanging. As soon as we cut it up, the trailer build is on again. And another random thought. With the gun boots installed in the bed, the rear view mirror is useless - unless you are duck hunting. You might be able to see ducks in the sky above the gun boots. lol. After a first ride, I am still pumped and happy with the G. Like anything you buy, it isn't perfect. One more thought. The front drive line noise that so many people complain about is not present in mine - - yet - I think. There is noise from below, but I didn't think it was out of the ordinary. On my RZR, the skid plate, doors and top were all aluminum. Of course they all squeaked like crazy, plus suspension squeaking. The G is quiet as a mouse in this regard - "... oh what a relief it is..." And, I have three beers left from camping, if anyone would like to help me wash the G, they are all yours. Ride safe, ride insured.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
One would gather you like the new ride! :grin2:

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trapper: Certainly a heater defroster would be good, but I can't justify the price right now. I don't really need a heater, so I will try to come up with a fan or something to defog the windshield at least. Ronnie: Yes I do like the G. I would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone wanting a crossover UTV. It may not be sporty enough for the RZR crowd, but it should fill the bill for people that want a work vehicle and a jazzy little sportster. That fact is what Polaris is depending on. I think they will find it hard to keep up with demand. Also they are easy to snorkel if you go that way and you sit a little higher out of the water. They will take big tires well if you are a pure mudster. There are many reasons to buy one. Personally, I find it great to hunt out of with the great visibility and easy exit and entry into the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Trapper: Certainly a heater defroster would be good, but I can't justify the price right now. I don't really need a heater, so I will try to come up with a fan or something to defog the windshield at least. Ronnie: Yes I do like the G. I would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone wanting a crossover UTV. It may not be sporty enough for the RZR crowd, but it should fill the bill for people that want a work vehicle and a jazzy little sportster. That fact is what Polaris is depending on. I think they will find it hard to keep up with demand. Also they are easy to snorkel if you go that way and you sit a little higher out of the water. They will take big tires well if you are a pure mudster. There are many reasons to buy one. Personally, I find it great to hunt out of with the great visibility and easy exit and entry into the vehicle.

Well put !

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This looks like a better option for what I need. I wonder how good the instruction are for installing it. I have put similar units in RZRs before, but I am unsure how to disassemble the dash to put it in. I've been trying to find a vendor that has the instructions available for download, but I can't find any. I'll give this one a look and maybe call them. Thanks for tip.

Reactions: generaljls

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get in touch with the Alaskan he will send you the PDF on the dash removal.
I sent Alaskan an e-mail. Waiting for his reply. Someone posted in another thread about taking his uppers to a plastics shop to have them modified to open. I PMd him for details on what he did. I am waiting for his reply as well. My dealer wanted $885 for a heater plus $560 to put it in. That is ridiculous. These heaters use the large radiator hoses to heat the heater core. There is no hot water circulation until the thermostat opens. On a cold day, the thermostat may never open while warming up. If there is ice on the windshield, it will never defrost. On the 570 RZR forums, there are threads about using the thermostat by-bass hose, a small hose that circulates coolant in the engine block continuously, and some guys use this for the heater. The 1000 has this hose as well. I may try to adapt this to the G heater, so the engine block water is used. The hose is visible on the Polaris schematics for the engine. I think you would have to remove the flow regulator so you didn't stop the flow through the engine block, but otherwise, I think it will work. Any feed back on this? I could be wrong about the 1000 not heating up to the point that the thermostat opens on an idling engine, but I know the 570 could sit there all day on a cold day and the t-stat would never open. The windshield was iced up on both sides and would not defrost. I seldom have weather this cold, but I have been there and it ain't good. I am more interested in the defrost. Also, one poster provided a link to an Ice-Crusher heater vendor. They list a "MaxiSlat" feature that I assume is a wider version of the defrost port, rather than the two small round ports normally provided. Does anyone know if this is correct? I e-mailed them and they didn't respond. They only show pictures of the round ports. Thanks everyone for your interest in my issue. Ride safe, ride insured.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I found some more info an the MaxStat (not Maxislat). Apparently it is a device to improve heating of the heater core. I looks like it moves the thermostat off the engine block and circulates the engine block water through the heater constantly like I was talking about above, and when the relocated thermostat opens as it normally would, it will divert water to the radiator to cool the engine as normal. I think this is the answer I was looking for. I know someone on this forum is using this heater, can you confirm this?

Reactions: generaljls

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Reactions: GeneralMac

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Silver, that is good enough for me, I ordered it, but with the MaxiStat. I'll post a review.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts