Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding on a wooded trail in WV. Ran over some sticks and heard them hit the skid plate. A little while later we smelled smoke. Wife riding along thought someone was burning brush up on the hill. After a short time, decided to check out the buggy only to find flames rising up from a stick that had somehow entered the right rear A-Arm and landed on bend in the exhaust, just before the muffler. The exhaust is not shielded there.

Luckily, I had a Tundra fire spray with me in the console. Extinguished the flames in record time.

Lesson's learned: If you smell smoke, it is probably you and not someone else. Carry a fire extinguisher. Tundra fire spray by First Alert is good stuff.

·
1,563 Posts
Guy here in Kodiak with the other deluxe had tall grass get jammed up between the muffler shield and muffler. It was glowing ambers he said. God you caught it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No damage. Flames were licking up against the bed shield above the exhaust, but did not melt anything. It probably would have just burned through the stick and dropped to the ground, which would have likely caused a forest fire as it was dry and windy.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
So is the Tundra Fire Spray a powder fire extinguishing agent that leaves a heck of a mess?

I see there are a couple of different Tundra Fire Spray extinguishers...which do you carry?

Planning for my General Deluxe...whenever it gets here...

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the Tundra spray that is for auto fires
First Alert AF400-AUTO Tundra Auto Fire Extinguishing Spray | First Alert Store

It extinguished the fire quickly, but it was not a big fire. I thought the stream was a little weak, but the can was 2 years old too. Not sure if it would put out a big fire now that I think about it. There is debate out there. Some say Tundra is better at putting out fires than a fire extinguisher, but I did find this negative claim: An aerosol fire spray is no substitute for a fire extinguisher

When I returned home and began cleaning up, I thought I had a real mess on my hands. The Tundra spray was sticky and all over the exhaust; however, it all came off with just a hose. No scrubbing so that is good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the Tundra spray that is for auto fires
First Alert AF400-AUTO Tundra Auto Fire Extinguishing Spray | First Alert Store

It extinguished the fire quickly, but it was not a big fire. I thought the stream was a little weak, but the can was 2 years old too. Not sure if it would put out a big fire now that I think about it. There is debate out there. Some say Tundra is better at putting out fires than a fire extinguisher, but I did find this negative claim: An aerosol fire spray is no substitute for a fire extinguisher

When I returned home and began cleaning up, I thought I had a real mess on my hands. The Tundra spray was sticky and all over the exhaust; however, it all came off with just a hose. No scrubbing so that is good.
Also, the Tundra is a liquid spray not a powder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts