Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And they are great. :)

The backstory is that when I bought my General in March 2018, the first thing I did was order the Shock Therapy RIS2 which is the dual-rate springs and revalve. The machine rode great and I was very pleased with them. Fast forward to October 2019 and we are at Windrock riding down a rough gravel road. Heard a loud bang and thought we had blown a tire. Nope, rear shock was in 2 pieces. Sent it back to ST and $600 later I had a new shock body and piston. FF to August 2020. Same thing on the other side. At least it didn't explode as badly and we limped back to the truck. Another $600 to get fixed. In March 2021 I noticed oil on my trailer and the first rear to blow was leaking oil. Pulled it off and it looks like I caught it before it exploded. It is now at ST for what I hope will only be a $300 fix.

We had a trip planned for Windrock in April and I needed shocks. No one had anything I could get in less than a month and most were 6-8 weeks. I had been reading about 814's so I figured why not. So I ordered them and it took just under a month to come in. (I saved my Windrock trip with some old used RZR 900 rears with my ST springs.)

So my 814's came in and I followed the instructions to install them and on my first ride out the machine was very loud. Found a hole in my headpipe. So it took a couple of weeks to get those parts. Got everything back together this past Saturday and headed out to Ivy Branch (Hatfield McCoy). Started off on some greens and blues and made a few clicker adjustments along the way. By the end of the day, I had ridden almost every Black trail there and even tried a Double Black (backed out of it, but would have tried it going uphill).

The ride was amazing. Every bit as good as the ST setup. And cheaper. And no worries about grit getting between the divider and body and rubbing holes because they are single spring. Shock Therapy is great if you ride out in the desert at high speeds, but for the east coast trail rider, seriously consider the 814's. You won't be sorry.

Reactions: BDAWG and Johnny 7

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
599 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance....but what are 814’s? I’d like to look into them.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Link to the website would be great.

Reactions: TCampbell

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
599 Posts
I looked it up. 814utvsuspension.com
looks very interesting although I’m not sure it’s cheaper than shock therapy. I’d like to see more info on this product for sure!

·
Registered
32 Posts
with your history of the shock therapy brand. how do the 814's seem to compare in build quality, thickness?
how long have you had them?

The 814 website says for the general the rear arms have to altered slightly to accommodate the shock adjustment screws when installed in the down position. Did you do that mod, was it hard or just install them upwards?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Very Interesting. I sent my 2016 Fox podium 2 shocks to STST for the RIS2 rework. I believe that was late 2018.
I have had no problems whatsoever. I have a good friend that sent his Walker Evans shocks to STST and had nothing but problems. He ordered a set of STST Fox 2.5 shocks and just loves them.
So I've hauled off and ordered a set of the STST Fox 2.5 shocks. And they are to arrive at home today. We left for two weeks in the Black Hills two days ago..dang!

So I'm wondering what the difference in experiences is? So I'll be following to see what others have experienced!

Best of luck with the 814's

Pirate

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with your history of the shock therapy brand. how do the 814's seem to compare in build quality, thickness?
how long have you had them?

The 814 website says for the general the rear arms have to altered slightly to accommodate the shock adjustment screws when installed in the down position. Did you do that mod, was it hard or just install them upwards?
The shock body's are Viking Shocks which makes shocks for street drag cars. The quality looks good so far. The springs are every bit as beefy as the ST ones. The rods look to be the same size ass the ones on my Fox QS3's, which I think is a 38mm.

I did not have to grind on the rear arms since I have the Super ATV arched 1.5" offset arms. Only required on stock arms.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked it up. 814utvsuspension.com
looks very interesting although I’m not sure it’s cheaper than shock therapy. I’d like to see more info on this product for sure!
The reason I say it is cheaper is that the Trail Series is $1400 for all new shocks. Shock Therapy RIS2 (revalve and springs) is $1500 (plus $$ to ship yours out there) So only $100 difference. But you are getting all new shocks vs them modifying your old ones. So you can sell the stocks if you want and get a good portion of what you spent back if you wanted to. Plus you aren't down for a couple of weeks while they are at ST and transit.

Reactions: BDAWG and TCampbell

·
Registered
599 Posts
I’m definitely interested in hearing more as you test them out. Let us know how they work for you. Thanks👍

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very Interesting. I sent my 2016 Fox podium 2 shocks to STST for the RIS2 rework. I believe that was late 2018.
I have had no problems whatsoever. I have a good friend that sent his Walker Evans shocks to STST and had nothing but problems. He ordered a set of STST Fox 2.5 shocks and just loves them.
So I've hauled off and ordered a set of the STST Fox 2.5 shocks. And they are to arrive at home today. We left for two weeks in the Black Hills two days ago..dang!

So I'm wondering what the difference in experiences is? So I'll be following to see what others have experienced!

Best of luck with the 814's

Pirate
But you ride mostly in dry conditions correct? What about your friend?

My issue was simply wet grit was getting between the shock and the divider and no matter how well I cleaned them out after each ride, the first mud hole I hit, they were filled back up with grit. What was weird is that I only had issues with the rears, never the fronts. And I am not talking about mudding either, just mud puddles at low spots in the trails (mainly HM, Windrock/RRB and Spearhead).

Reactions: Buelligan666

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
My friend lives in Nevada...so dry conditions. His were OEM Walker Evans shocks. STST no longer works on them.

So, I'm curious as to how many of those disappointed in STST work...sent in Walker Evans shocks and how many sent
in Fox shocks?

Curious

Pirate

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,001 Posts
Pirate, I don't think anyone is disappointed in the work, Herdfan had bad luck with the crossover on his shocks wearing through the shock body and causing failure. I had the ST RC2 Fox shocks on my 18G2. They are truly awesome shocks. I experienced what I would consider, excessive wear caused by mud and grit between the spring slider and shock body. I tried to index the springs, because that's about the only recommendation to fix it. Here in the Appalachia, every trail, no matter how dry, has mud along it somewhere. It's impossible to keep them clean. I guess shock covers would help. Our trail systems just aren't conducive to the dual rate spring setup that you guys in dryer areas use. My 20XP4 has the factory shocks with Z-broz racing springs and tenders. This setup seems to work quite well wear we ride. I haven't experienced any sag yet, like the Polaris factory springs are notorious for either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts