Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Solved; Short Summary, I took it back to the dealer after they removed and replaced a new differential. That did not solve the Noise issue. Before that, I had SandCraft try the thing with the differential plus purchased their custom carrier bearing and had the prop shaft phased ($600 bucks) and still had the front end that sounded like a giant rock tumbler. Before the differential swap, Polaris had the dealer replace the gears in the differential to no avail. All the while Polaris is telling me a noise is not a defect so there is nothing we can do! Finally, through persistence Polaris tells me to take it back to the dealer that they have one last thing they can try, I did. This is what fixed it this is what Polaris should have done in the first place. They put a new prop shaft in it; the prop shaft is the ones that they are using in the 2018 models. It is a CV jointed shaft instead of the U joints. The whole shaft, not just the front half. NOW THE NOISE IS GONE!! I could go into why the prop shaft makes the differential noise (or not noisy) but no time to get into it but just think of it in the sense that the shaft is making the diff gears chatter because it’s not rotating smoothly. Polaris it sure seems like you make the road to customer service a hard road to travel. It took 3 months to get this done. Job One Should Be Customer Service (Satisfaction).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finally Solved; Short Summary, I took it back to the dealer after they removed and replaced a new differential. That did not solve the Noise issue. Before that, I had SandCraft try the thing with the differential plus purchased their custom carrier bearing and had the prop shaft phased ($600 bucks) and still had the front end that sounded like a giant rock tumbler. Before the differential swap, Polaris had the dealer replace the gears in the differential to no avail. All the while Polaris is telling me a noise is not a defect so there is nothing we can do! Finally, through persistence Polaris tells me to take it back to the dealer that they have one last thing they can try, I did. This is what fixed it this is what Polaris should have done in the first place. They put a new prop shaft in it; the prop shaft is the ones that they are using in the 2018 models. It is a CV jointed shaft instead of the U joints. The whole shaft, not just the front half. NOW THE NOISE IS GONE!! I could go into why the prop shaft makes the differential noise (or not noisy) but no time to get into it but just think of it in the sense that the shaft is making the diff gears chatter because it’s not rotating smoothly. Polaris it sure seems like you make the road to customer service a hard road to travel. It took 3 months to get this done. Job One Should Be Customer Service (Satisfaction).
Now I wonder if they will actually recall them and put the 2018 style into the older ones. Knowing my dealer its not worth trying to have them fight for me on it but a recall they will do. Fingers crossed they will recall them from 2016 and 2017 and make it right

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
They will not do a recall for the simple reason not all have the problem. So don't get you hopes up! JMT's

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not getting my hopes up, but would love to see a recall at some point...Fingers crossed....What I'm looking forward to is people getting a 2018 General and joining the forum so we can get there perspective on the front end noise...If on the 2018 models they do not have the noise I will then go back to my dealership to get mine swapped out..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey General Iowa,

What's the dealer name that did your repairs? Do you have a part number too for the 2018 prop shaft? I want to give this info to my dealer "Freedom Cycles" in Grandview, Missouri. My G4 is currently at the dealership(2 weeks today) and I asked if they could install the 2018 front prop shaft in mine but I think Polaris corporate office wasn't giving them the green light.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey General Iowa,

What's the dealer name that did your repairs? Do you have a part number too for the 2018 prop shaft? I want to give this info to my dealer "Freedom Cycles" in Grandview, Missouri. My G4 is currently at the dealership(2 weeks today) and I asked if they could install the 2018 front prop shaft in mine but I think Polaris corporate office wasn't giving them the green light.

Thanks.
Cant give my dealer info cuz they might kill me LOL... they are so sick of calling polaris trying to make things right for there customers. basically you need to call polaris your self and get your case number started. tell polaris all the complant about your noise and if your dealer is even helping you or not. this will get the ball rolling, this help me get my unit fixed. i can check on part # later

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did call Polaris and my dealer still had an open case. Got the case number and they also extended my warranty to 9 months which now puts me into mid November. Complained that over the last 2 months my G4 has been at the dealer almost 6 weeks. Also made them send me an email with a screen shot of the warranty end date for my records.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can someone PM me a case number to reference? I'm on the phone with Polaris and they are dumb as rocks so they cannot reference a dealer to find the fix. I haven't driven my General since I bought it because of this crap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Dealer just got mine approved for the 2018 prop shaft. Have replaced 2 Carrier Bearings in my 2017 G4 and still is like a box of marbles in the front. My dealer contacted Polaris and sent me the form they want to completed (See below). I filled it out and it was approved today to replace with the 2018 Prop Shaft. I guess persistence pays off...

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Dealer just got mine approved for the 2018 prop shaft. Have replaced 2 Carrier Bearings in my 2017 G4 and still is like a box of marbles in the front. My dealer contacted Polaris and sent me the form they want to completed (See below). I filled it out and it was approved today to replace with the 2018 Prop Shaft. I guess persistence pays off...
Since they approved yours can you provide the cheat sheet version with the form filled out? I've been fighting since I bought it in April haven't driven it since May due to the crap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
PHP:
KC...I filled the form out accurately relative to my machine....No real trick. Good Luck!!
I appreciate the follow up but this IS Polaris we are dealing with here. The same people who install stuff backwards on our machines and more. I don't trust them to know the front from the rear at this point. >:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
LOL...I just have a really good dealer. They have been able to liaison with Polaris. I have heard stories of Dealer's telling the customer to call Polaris. The only thing my Dealer shared was to only check things that pertain the the "marble rattle" sound. He shared if you start describing rattles...etc...then the dealer has to trouble shoot to help isolate. I just stayed with the "Growl" sound that is what I guess Polaris is describing the front "marble" rattling...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are there reports of parts breaking do to this or just noise? I just purchased new 2017 general 4 yesterday and yes at higher speed I hear a rattle in front and the door separation is apparent also. Feeling like a should of waited for 2018 model to come available

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Interesting, I just spend two weeks riding with a friend that works at Ridenow in Apache Junction, AZ and he tells me the 2018 Generals are not coming with CV front driveshafts.

Wonder if this is a mid-year change.

General Iowa, can you post a couple of pics of the new shafts? Say at the front diff and the trans output shaft?

Thanks,

Pirate

1 - 20 of 120 Posts