Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Need to wire up my light bars. In the past I've purchased a harness with relay and fuse. I found these to have problems with the relay over and over. Does anyone have a suggestion on harness for a couple light bars? These will need to go to the full size rocker switches that fit in the cutouts in the dash on the general.
2. Is there a good location for a second battery on the general? I have an odyssey battery I want to add on its own for some smaller accessories. I'm not looking for dual battery set up just a location. I think under the hood will work but want to leave room for my winch contractor and a fuse block under there as well.
3. Do y'all do the 25 service yourself or take it to the dealer? Mine will be coming up in a week and if it's as simple as changing the oil then I am capable of that. Opinions?
Thanks guys in advance

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Add another question.
How do you access the wires once you install your rocker in the dash? Is it the big circle under the hood that needs to be cut out or through the firewall?

·
Super Moderator
3,175 Posts
1. I usually use 40 amp relays that can be bought at any parts store, and make my own wiring harness.
2. Can't help you on the second battery.
3. I did mine own 25hour, and will be doing the rest too.
4. You can run your wires up through the same hole as the factory wires.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
1. I usually use 40 amp relays that can be bought at any parts store, and make my own wiring harness.
2. Can't help you on the second battery.
3. I did mine own 25hour, and will be doing the rest too.
4. You can run your wires up through the same hole as the factory wires.
X2 What he said :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
The box like compartment above the rocker panel pulls out pry at bottom and pull out then the switch panel just pulls out has spring clips holding it pull lightly and it will pull out!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes the box above the rocker switches pulls out. I put two holes in the top of the box so I can pull it out easily. Makes a good stash spot. I just carry on little jump battery and most of my stuff is led so I do not need a second battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just have run down my stock battery in ranger with just headlights on and winch pulling. Ill list what I'll be running. Obliviously I won't run it all at the same time but I still think it's much for one battery.
Winch
20" led bar
8" led bar
9" led bar
Stereo
Light whips (2)
Some led strip accent lighting
Stock headlights.
Seems like a lot to me. Will probably keep light bars, whips, accent lighting on accessory battery and run stereo and winch on the stock battery so it can charge as its drained. Just need a good spot for extra battery as under hood won't fit odyssey 925

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
There mite be room beside the stock battery! also the general has a larger battery then my ranger had. ranger had like a lawn tractor battery general has a small auto size battery in!

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
145 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
OK, here we go....

Accessing the wiring for rocker switches:

You'll probably want to put a hole in the "firewall" above the terminal block. I now have one there, but no pic...yet.

I have found that it is in my favor to pull accessory wiring/harnesses from the under hood to behind the dash. If you're General is like mine, and I have the Heater/Defroster kit...you just about can't see anything under the dash, or feel anything under the dash. So I take a 3 ft piece of red #12 solid core copper wire, attach my harness to one end with a good wrapping of electrical tape. Then push the free end of the wire through the grommet and into the cab. I push somewhere between 2' and 3' of the wire through the grommet. Typically I can then see the red wire hanging down from behind the dash. Carefully pull the harness through the grommet, being careful not to snag the split loom. Now remove the red #12 wire and feed the harness through the cutout in the dash, wire the switch, and pop the switch into the dash.

The General uses a very nice grommet to allow you to pull wires through and not have just a big open hole. They are: GROMMET-ELECTRICAL, CAB PN 5414440 $3.90 and I bought three of them from Cheap Cycle Parts. Thus far I have installed two of them as I wired my accessories and street legal equipment. I run all my accessory harnesses in split loom tubing of the appropriate size. I wrap the split loom with 2" lengths of electrical tape every 6 inches the length of the harness. As you will see if you buy one, the grommets come with the center "un-sliced", so you can open the grommet only as far as needed.

Now, I have learned to do one of two things 1. leave the harness wires on the roll while I pull the wiring through the grommet, into the cab, and get it terminated on my Sea Blue fused terminal blocks. Or two, cut each wire four feet, yes 4', longer than I think, cover with a long piece of split loom...and when I have everything terminated in the cab...then route the harness in the under-hood, and THEN cut the harness to length and terminate. Yup, I'll bet I've guessed wrong on harness length about three times now...and I'm learning!!

Here's a pic of the grommet I put on the driver's side for the turn signal harness. Cut a 1 1/2" hole with a hole saw and the grommet fits just fine.

I finally decided to do it right and ran a stranded copper #8 red wire from the battery to my "hot" terminal block under the hood. I fused it with the very large blade fuse holder and 30 amp fuse at the battery:

I then chose to tap a circuit off the "hot" distribution block, fused at 30A and using a #10 copper stranded red wire and a 30A relay to power my "switched" distribution block. The trigger signal for the relay comes from the "terminal block" under the hood. This way I'm not depending on that little ol' "accessory" wire from the fuse block for anything but a trigger signal.

You can then choose whether you want each accessory "hot" or "switched".

Just some thoughts....

Pirate

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are you guys using to cut out the rocker switch holes with? I tried drilling small holes in the corners and using a box blade but that didn't work great. I ended up using my dremmel with a grinding wheel but it just melts the plastic. Any help with tricks?

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I used a box cutter with long blade that is narrow about 2'' x 1/2'' heated the blade and cut out really easy then cleaned the edges with another new blade! Worked for me.

Reactions: Trapper and Jprimes

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
If I would remember I have one would use it more. Never remember the dang thing!

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used a box cutter worked great for the switch holes. I ran 4 gauge form the batteries to a distribution block under the hood for the lights. I have gg lighting 1 30 inch single, 12 inch single and to 3.5 inch pods forward and 2 3'5 inch pods for load/reverse lights they came with the harness and forward is about 22500 lumens. Can you say daylight!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where to purchase rocker switches

Hey guys, where are you buying rocker switches that fit the cutouts in the dash? My LED light bar came with a round rocker switch, and I would rather replace that with one that looks like it belongs. Pirate, your stuff on the wiring is really helpful, and the grommets look great!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey guys, where are you buying rocker switches that fit the cutouts in the dash? My LED light bar came with a round rocker switch, and I would rather replace that with one that looks like it belongs. Pirate, your stuff on the wiring is really helpful, and the grommets look great!
Here...
https://www.otrattw.net/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts