Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts whether Pro or Con with the Polaris Extended Warranty. Just looking for feedback and I’m sure here and on the RZR Forum there’s a plethora of Warranty commentary. Good to see opinions from experienced General Owners. Thanks for sharing your experiences in whether it’s money worth paying or poor customer service has made extended warranty a poor choice.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I bought the Polaris 5-yr extended warranty on my 2016 General Deluxe.

Snapped the Passenger side rear axle right between the end of the axle nut threads and the hub splines. The only load in that location is the tensile load of the axle nut.

So how would an axle break there? Must be a small metallurgical flaw at that location or perhaps a small imperfection in the machine work on the axle.

That was in July. Took all the parts to the Dealer where I bought the machine and the warranty. Haven't heard **** since.

I bought an RPM1 extended warranty on the RZR 800, now a Polaris extended warranty...and I'm beginning to believe neither one is worth the paper its printed on.

Today, I'd say put the cost of the warranty in the bank, and keep it for when you need it.

Just me,

Pirate

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pirate, I was looking towards your feedback. Appreciated, as I have a week before the 6 month factory Warranty expires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine expires in February,Im having same concerns 1000 to 1200 dollars for 4 or 5 yrs or bank it. Insurance companies betting I wont use it if I buy I'm betting I will hmmmmmm. Pirates advice sounds better every day I count down to writing a check.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
$1,900 for 5 years and the dealer told me recently “if you’re planning on keeping the General for 5 years than I should buy the warranty”. If I bought the warranty I’d defiantly be limited on modifications, possible to void a Transmission warranty or axles would be any clutch modifications, larger tires, even Round Rollers in the Secondary Clutch. Damned if you buy it damned if you don’t.

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
What do dealers get for selling a warranty?
Not sure how much but when my 6 months factory warranty was about to expire I was telling my salesperson I was getting weekly, if not more, emails directly from Polaris wanting me to purchase an extended warranty. The salesperson said oh please don't purchase from Polaris get it from me. So they must do pretty good on it. Oh and I decided not to purchase at all.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Okie5561947

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 pointer View Post
Mine expires in February,Im having same concerns 1000 to 1200 dollars for 4 or 5 yrs or bank it. Insurance companies betting I wont use it if I buy I'm betting I will hmmmmmm. Pirates advice sounds better every day I count down to writing a check.
$1,000.00 will only get you 18 months.

Depends on your dealer he can charge you full retail or he can take less for his cut.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since my purchase / delivery in August 2019 I’ve received 4 extended Warranty notifications from Polaris. They offer pay by the year plan, just give them your Credit Card number and they’ll charge your account once a year depending on the length of term you are purchasing. The Dealer quote was same as direct through Polaris except Dealer doesn’t do the pay by year plan.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
It was either the first or second time that we bought extended warranty the dealer knocked 600 or 800 off the price of the extended warranty. That was on the 5 year plan which is the only plan we have bought. Figured we usually keep them that long and back then we were on the farm/ranch so they got used but they weren't abused.

As picky as they are getting at covering things anymore i don't know if i will buy it on our next machine or not. Probably not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only reason I am considering it is for all of the electronics on the machine. Mechanical stuff I can handle, electronics no!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the extended warranty on my 2016 from the dealer. I talked to him last week about the XP and if I bought one so I buy the extended warranty or not. His reply is to save your money. Polaris is so hard to deal with and get things approved that he said don't buy one. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I opted out of the Ext Warranty in part because as per the selling dealership any Modifications to CVT could void the warranty for Transmission and possibly the Motor as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the Polaris 5-yr extended warranty on my 2016 General Deluxe.

Snapped the Passenger side rear axle right between the end of the axle nut threads and the hub splines. The only load in that location is the tensile load of the axle nut.

So how would an axle break there? Must be a small metallurgical flaw at that location or perhaps a small imperfection in the machine work on the axle.

That was in July. Took all the parts to the Dealer where I bought the machine and the warranty. Haven't heard **** since.

I bought an RPM1 extended warranty on the RZR 800, now a Polaris extended warranty...and I'm beginning to believe neither one is worth the paper its printed on.

Today, I'd say put the cost of the warranty in the bank, and keep it for when you need it.

Just me,

Pirate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts