Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Note the BFG AT light truck tires for the extra cool!!!!

Make sure you stay below the weight limitations if you plan on using light truck tires on your trailer!!!!!!

Where are the white letters! Should have turned them out on the trailer. :)

Speaking of BFG's, how about on the general. A buddy has them on his Maverick and he loves them. He has them in 30x9.50x15.

I will say they are incredible smooth and handle great. He hasn't had any problems getting stuck. A few hill climbs he has been out performed by traditional UTV tires.

Anyhow just a thought.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are the white letters! Should have turned them out on the trailer. :)

Speaking of BFG's, how about on the general. A buddy has them on his Maverick and he loves them. He has them in 30x9.50x15.

I will say they are incredible smooth and handle great. He hasn't had any problems getting stuck. A few hill climbs he has been out performed by traditional UTV tires.

Anyhow just a thought.
Always liked the black look over the white lettering.
Never even thought about light truck tires on the General,aren't they kinda heavy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Surprisingly no, they are in the heavy end of UTV tires but not bad, no where near the mud tires people run. I think the 30 inch BFG weighs around 39lbs. Obviously heavier than the stock tire but again not over the top. I'm guessing the rear dirt commander probably weighs 32.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surprisingly no, they are in the heavy end of UTV tires but not bad, no where near the mud tires people run. I think the 30 inch BFG weighs around 39lbs. Obviously heavier than the stock tire but again not over the top. I'm guessing the rear dirt commander probably weighs 32.
Actually the BFGs weigh 37lbs. Which surprising enough is lighter than a lot of SxS tires out there in the same size.
Learn something new everyday...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got the trailer jacked up. No more dragging on ridiculously small stuff and it rides level.

Hey General Todd. I have the exact same trailer. What did you do to lift it? Shackles? It looks simple, but I didn't know if you fabbed it yourself or bought a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey General Todd. I have the exact same trailer. What did you do to lift it? Shackles? It looks simple, but I didn't know if you fabbed it yourself or bought a kit.

Etrailer.com has a kit. I'm pretty sure this is it but they can confirm it,they go out of their way to help you out.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Dexter/K71-385-00.html

It does require some minor welding. I've heard of people not welding them but personally I wouldnt recommend it.

Oh..it's a spring over axle kit.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Yes they are simple to lift that kit simply puts the spring on top of axle rather under them! And easy to return to stock later . I have lifted a few fifth wheel campers guys go from 1/2 ton trucks to 3/4 or 1 tons and the trailer set low in the rear I remove the spring mounts and weld 2x2 square stock were they were and re weld the spring mounts works really good same as what they do on a lot of the newer ones from the factory!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes they are simple to lift that kit simply puts the spring on top of axle rather under them! And easy to return to stock later . I have lifted a few fifth wheel campers guys go from 1/2 ton trucks to 3/4 or 1 tons and the trailer set low in the rear I remove the spring mounts and weld 2x2 square stock were they were and re weld the spring mounts works really good same as what they do on a lot of the newer ones from the factory!

It's a lot easier on straight axles,all you have to do is flip em over.
The Dexter axle has a bend in the middle so you have to weld new axle perches on the top side of the axle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

If you dont have a welding rig you can put it all together and take it to a weld shop and they can tack em in place.
It's just easier to reinstall the axles when the perches are already in place.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
When you put the springs on top of the axle with that kit It will not matter if its strait or has the camber bend in the axle or even drop axles. your not changing anything with the axle just moving spring mounts from the bottom to the top of the axle!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely going to look into it more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you put the springs on top of the axle with that kit It will not matter if its strait or has the camber bend in the axle or even drop axles. your not changing anything with the axle just moving spring mounts from the bottom to the top of the axle!
Which is the whole purpose of the kit. With a straight axle you just flip the axle and no kit is required. With a Dexter axle you have no choice in the matter,you have to mount new axle perches because you cant flip the axle over or the pre designed upward bend will be back assward causing outward tow.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Which is the whole purpose of the kit. With a straight axle you just flip the axle and no kit is required. With a Dexter axle you have no choice in the matter,you have to mount new axle perches because you cant flip the axle over or the pre designed upward bend will be back assward causing outward tow.

Not saying anything about flipping the axle over. yes you can on a straight axle agreed. with a strait axle you need no kit!

But no matter what axle you have! The kit has special spring perches that set on top of axle and has legs if you will and rest in the spring perch that is already welded to the axle from the factory. So no need to weld unless for some reason you remove the old spring perch then the kit is useless anyway.

BUT WITH THE KIT ANY AXLE CAN BE LIFTED WITHOUT A WELDER IS ALL THAT IS BEING STATED ! THE KIT HAS SPECIAL SPRING PERCHES IF GOT FOR THE AXLE YOU HAVE! AND SORRY IF I MADE YOU THINK INTO IT MORE THAN IS BEING STATED!
also toe will never be affected by a axle flip or you screwed up somewhere! >:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not saying anything about flipping the axle over. yes you can on a straight axle agreed. with a strait axle you need no kit!

But no matter what axle you have! The kit has special spring perches that set on top of axle and has legs if you will and rest in the spring perch that is already welded to the axle from the factory. So no need to weld unless for some reason you remove the old spring perch then the kit is useless anyway.

BUT WITH THE KIT ANY AXLE CAN BE LIFTED WITHOUT A WELDER IS ALL THAT IS BEING STATED ! THE KIT HAS SPECIAL SPRING PERCHES IF GOT FOR THE AXLE YOU HAVE! AND SORRY IF I MADE YOU THINK INTO IT MORE THAN IS BEING STATED!
also toe will never be affected by a axle flip or you screwed up somewhere! >:)

You cant turn a dexter axle over and remount it. You have no choice but to weld new perches on the opposite side of the axle from the old perches.
Not sure where the confusion is here.
And as far as not welding them in place...it's not recommended and it says as much in the install instructions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts