Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on engine braking? Can it be turned off when you don't want it? Never had it on anything and not sure if I will like it. Will be using machine 90% for trail riding and fun and 10% around house

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if it's something you can turn off in the Polaris General as I assume it's something built into the engine and is automatically deployed when needed. Don't really see a problem with engine braking. It's suppose to reduce brake failures and wear and tear on tires and brake systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My maverick has excellent engine braking. The one thing I hate about my dad's ranger is the lack of engine braking. I hate the free wheeling feel of his ranger when decelerating. If I tap the gas peddle there is engine braking, but it's annoying that I have to do that on my dad's ranger. I hope the engine braking on the general is like my maverick. I plan on selling my maverick max if they come out with a 4 seat general with at the least the same amount of room in the back as my maverick.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was able to drive one for 5 minutes today. It was the Premium blue edition. EBS was more than I expected. I could not get it to free wheel in low or high. I had to give it gas down hill. While this will take some getting used to, I think it is much better than free-wheeling down hill or doing the 2 step thing with gas and brake. Never touched the brake descending a hill.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Commanders I owned had engine braking, fantastic stuff for sure. The best thing out there. My brother in law has a 900XP without and he hates it.

I would always use it in high range going down hill, hardly ever touch the brakes. Low range EB is way too low though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
They call it engine braking but it's more like clutch braking.... It works by limiting the secondary. The way I understand it is that when there is no belt movement because the primary is at idle and not engaged.... The secondary closes and limits the axle rotation mechanically.

Don't shot me if I'm wrong but that's the way I have understood it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
10-4, its through the clutch. It just feels like engine braking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I drove a deluxe and the trail had snow with ice under it. The hole machine locked up and went sideways. I had to get on the gas to straighten it out. I wish it had less braking

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes,it is engine braking.
It has a one way bearing on the primary like a sprag clutch so the belt can't go faster than the engine but the engine can still idle without be belt turning.
When the belt gets to the bottom of the sheave in the primary it sits on the one way bearing.
Engine braking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NO EBS for me either thanks. I had it on a 850 Sportsman and I and not crazy about it. I want it to be able to be released so it will freewheel if the back end comes too far around like Taz1 said.

EDIT: I guess I should make it a little more clear. I like EBS under normal trail riding. It cuts down on having to use the brakes so much. It is only on steep slick hills that I don't like it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
NO EBS for me either thanks. I had it on a 850 Sportsman and I and not crazy about it. I want it to be able to be released so it will freewheel if the back end comes too far around like Taz1 said.

EDIT: I guess I should make it a little more clear. I like EBS under normal trail riding. It cuts down on having to use the brakes so much. It is only on steep slick hills that I don't like it.
Would be a little crazy, but could you kick it in Neutral?

·
Registered
223 Posts
After having CAN-AM with ENGINE BRAKING, I will not own anything without it. I have drove my brother in laws 900XP and can't stand it going down hill. It seems totally natural to me how it works and how it reacts. Sure it could get yiu in trouble I suppose but in 5 years of Commanders I never had a problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It is the best down hill brake assist I have ever use. I believe it engages at or below 10 mph and it will slow you down to about 2 or 3 mph. It is a little harsh when you are just driving around in high at low speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The general has the best engine brake system that Polaris has used yet! On previous models you could get a different helix for secondary and new bearing in primary to remove ebs I am impressed with how smooth it is

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
The real questions are...

Does it have an EBS Primary Clutch, meaning it has a one way bearing. With the one way bearing, the transmission works against the engine RPM. Thus when you take your foot off the gas, and engine RPM drops...the transmission, and thus speed of the machine is slowed by the engine. Much like downshifting a manual transmission on a downhill grade.

An EBS Secondary clutch uses a helix on the clutch that has some control on the separation of the sheaves, and provides some control on the belt position in the Primary clutch, which keeps the belt from dropping out of the sheaves and freewheeling on the bearing.

I know the General comes with EBS, but don't have info on which type of EBS it has.

Just a few thoughts...

Pirate

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe it has both. We were out for the first time yesterday with the general, and I was impressed with the ebs.

It acted just like my xp1k when you let off the gas, until you got right down to a couple miles an hour then it was
like you hit the brakes.

We are in the mountains, and were riding in snow, ice, mud, and very little dry ground. You learn Quick to stay on the gas a bit when going down ice covered long down hills.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts