Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything. Thinking about getting an enclosed trailer for safe storage and ease of camping. my worry is what size to get. right now my G4 is stock but I am looking at putting a lift and some tires on it within the year. not thinking anything crazy anywhere from 30s-35s on the extreme end with obviously enough lift to clear the tires but don't wanna be sky-high. I know this is minimal info but currently, all I can offer and the reason I'm asking here. so what does everyone suggest? im new to the sxs game so any info helps

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know that my G4 with 30's and the Shock Therapy RIS2 won't clear a standard enclosed trailer. I will need to go at least +6". Makes it hard to find a used one so I am probably going to bite the bullet and get a new one.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
I have a 7' tall, 7' wide, 12' long enclosed trailer, running 30" tires on pretty much stock suspension. I do have the preload bumped up a hair. Height wise I'm good, and I can get in and out OK, but I have wished several times, that I would've gotten an 8' wide trailer. As it is now, I have to pull in, as far to the right as possible, to leave me enough room to open the door and squeeze out.

So I say go at least 8' wide, and 7' tall. Then at least 2' longer than the general, but the more the better.

also, I have a 2 door General.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 7' tall, 7' wide, 12' long enclosed trailer, running 30" tires on pretty much stock suspension. I do have the preload bumped up a hair. Height wise I'm good, and I can get in and out OK, but I have wished several times, that I would've gotten an 8' wide trailer. As it is now, I have to pull in, as far to the right as possible, to leave me enough room to open the door and squeeze out.

So I say go at least 8' wide, and 7' tall. Then at least 2' longer than the general, but the more the better.

also, I have a 2 door General.
how much extra room do you have up top mmx?

·
Registered
130 Posts
like mmx said go 8ft wide and 7ft entrance. i have a 7x16x6 and it is starting to **&^ me off. such a pia getting it in and out. got a 8x22x7 on order. i have yet to hear someone say i wish i had bought a smaller trailer.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
We have an Aluma 7x14 can't remember if it was +6'' or +12'' in height.
Also have an aluminum HaulMark 7x16 as same +6 or +12 in height.
Aluma is hands down a better built trailer but of course you pay for that!
We run 30'' tires usually and have plenty of room to spare going through the rear ramp door. One of our big light bars is on top of the roof too.
Being i am an old geezer and NOT getting any smaller i would also go 8' wide on the next one if i were to buy again down the road. Also go V front as they pull easier. Get it plenty long so you can haul accessories when going out with your rig or if using to camp. Next one with be 18' long minimum. Sucks not having enough length and width to haul what you want to haul.
We bought ours before buying our General as we had a Ranger and 2 Sportsman 500's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We ordered a enclosed Mirage 8’x16’ V Nose Side x Side Model. 8’ wide with the RV Side Door makes it so easy to load and exit plus the storage space for tools, fuel, and gear by going to 16’. Also ordered a taller entrance Ramp Door which is plus 6”. My G2 is stock height but there is ample clearance to go with 30” tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have an Aluma 7x14 can't remember if it was +6'' or +12'' in height.
Also have an aluminum HaulMark 7x16 as same +6 or +12 in height.
Aluma is hands down a better built trailer but of course you pay for that!
We run 30'' tires usually and have plenty of room to spare going through the rear ramp door. One of our big light bars is on top of the roof too.
Being i am an old geezer and NOT getting any smaller i would also go 8' wide on the next one if i were to buy again down the road. Also go V front as they pull easier. Get it plenty long so you can haul accessories when going out with your rig or if using to camp. Next one with be 18' long minimum. Sucks not having enough length and width to haul what you want to haul.
We bought ours before buying our General as we had a Ranger and 2 Sportsman 500's.
18" was the minimum I was thinking too. Am planning on camping a lot with it so for sure want the extra room to haul it. Also just nice for storage purposes. currently have the G4 in my garage but dont have the room for a trailer so i have to go back and forth between picking up and dropping off the G4 and trailer. Ive had it a month and already over having to do that

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
8 ft wide, 7 ft tall, and 18 ft long is about right...but skip the V-nose. You're just losing valuable storage room for "stuff".
And you should have about 4 to 6 feet of storage room.
Its probably a dual axle, with brakes, so plan your tie-downs to position the machine center (long wise) about 18" forward of the machine wheels centered over the axles.
this will help keep the weight far enough forward to prevent towing problems. So you may have split storage front and rear.

Pirate

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yes sir over and above the length of the trailer. V nose pulls so much easier and free storage to boot! Wouldn't pull anything but a V nose and we have pulled most of the makes out there.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes sir over and above the length of the trailer. V nose pulls so much easier and free storage to boot! Wouldn't pull anything but a V nose and we have pulled most of the makes out there.
Just my 2 cents.
Agree, the V Nose Space isn’t included in the 16’ length of my Trailer. Yes they pull easier that’s why they’re designed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have posted before about a toy hauler we have and I continue to look for the "perfect" smaller answer to my towing needs. I have an '18 G4 with 30" tires, nothing more to increase height or width. We bought a 14X8X plus 6 inches at the door and a four foot V nose. I also measured from the back of machine to driver door and had an escape door built in. Opening the drivers door into the escape opening makes loading and unloading a breeze. I don't have a ton of room up front but plenty to stack 6 totes on one side and more on the other side of the V so I am pretty happy with the configuration. I added a window, 120 wiring accommodations, and stayed with a 72" door so I can add awning at a later time.
trailer1.jpg
trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have posted before about a toy hauler we have and I continue to look for the "perfect" smaller answer to my towing needs. I have an '18 G4 with 30" tires, nothing more to increase height or width. We bought a 14X8X plus 6 inches at the door and a four foot V nose. I also measured from the back of machine to driver door and had an escape door built in. Opening the drivers door into the escape opening makes loading and unloading a breeze. I don't have a ton of room up front but plenty to stack 6 totes on one side and more on the other side of the V so I am pretty happy with the configuration. I added a window, 120 wiring accommodations, and stayed with a 72" door so I can add awning at a later time.
Do you happen to know the height of your back ramp opening and the overall height of your unit with 30” tires? I have a 7x14 that is also a +6” and curious if there’s any chance I could get an XP4 in there. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The door opening with the "plus 6 inch height" is 78". The General sitting on 30s is about 75" and when I load it with traveling/hunting gear it helps it squat a bit for even more clearance. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I should have added that just me sitting in it to load probably adds another 3/4 clearance through the door. Hate to admit that but not joking.😊

1 - 20 of 26 Posts