Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 G4-1000. Bought it new and upgraded at the time to 30” tires. Didn’t like the clutching for desert rock crawling and trails (no doubt the tires hurt me in the beginning ) so the dealer recommended a gear reduction. (Weights and springs) Works great for low and slow in the desert and way easier to drive on the trailer.

So I get the changes to the clutching people are doing to match their riding. But I’m mixed up on the tunes and temp. My General’s temp works perfect: it goes up to 208 (sometimes 210) the fan kicks on and it drops to 192 and the fan shuts down.

I have also been told by a dealer and a shop this is the Polaris designed operating range for the engine.

And I guess the ECU tunes change every parameter Polaris designed into the operation of the engine, transmission, and exhaust…

what is Polaris saying when these machines go back to the shop in the regular or extended warranty periods?

BTW my tires, lift kit, and clutch mods were done by the dealer and they assured me it would not affect the warranty. As it turns out I’m past the warranty period and didn’t have any issues.

I love this thing and know I’ll get a new one in a couple of years so I’m trying to understand the warranty ramifications of the upgrades I read about here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
(Ordered) General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition
206 Posts
From what I have gathered, it is a way to deny warranty claims if YOU do any modifications, but not for the Dealer. Your Dealer needs to be you advocate on warranty claims, so what ever support you have from the Dealer (More the better), the better chance you have on the warranty claims. If the "Modifications" and or "Service" is performed by a "Professional", it is most likely to get covered. Its all about the Benjamin's at the end. Just my view and opinion.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Your dealer basically holds all the cards when it comes to trying to get a claim covered.

Reactions: Dino. and Fyrewil

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
234 Posts
From what my dealer said, polaris can't tell the changes made by giloman on an ecu change. The d wrench isn't able to see them. My dealer is also a dealer for giloman and told me that if I would have issues after a tune, that they'd figure it out. So if I wanted a tune, get it. They still get warranty stuff covered...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
(Ordered) General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition
206 Posts
From what my dealer said, polaris can't tell the changes made by giloman on an ecu change. The d wrench isn't able to see them. My dealer is also a dealer for giloman and told me that if I would have issues after a tune, that they'd figure it out. So if I wanted a tune, get it. They still get warranty stuff covered...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Swapping out the ECU is fairly simple too, little time needed.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I've had a Gilomen Innovations ECU installed since Jan 2018. No problems with it.
But....wait....what about my Polaris 5 year extended warranty??? Guess what...it expired on May 20th, 2021.
Guess what...I never had my 2016 in for a warranty issue. I did snap an axle right where the hub splines end and the axle nut threads start. Dealer never called me after I took the axle to them.
Guess Polaris said no to warranty. But that's OK. I put in a pair of Turner Bros. Nitro Axles. Don't expect to have any problems with them. And I must have one of very few sets as Turner Bros
decided not to get into the UTV market.
I wish there was a place to get true facts on how many people take there General in for warranty, and how many get the issue covered by warranty. Maybe I was lucky, I don't think so, or maybe I just
dug in and fixed it my self. The only real expensive item was the broken rear axle. That thing took out everything on the Passenger side rear. Axle, bearing, bearing carrier, brake caliper, brake pads, rotor, all new fasteners, new wheel studs...the whole works!! And I wound up doing most of the Driver side, just to keep things matched. Whew.

If a Dealer sorta makes noise like he knows you've done ECU mods or some other mod and he's going to have to tell Polaris. Tell him "Go right ahead, Your name and dealership name will be all over the Polaris General Forum by night fall. And that will get his attention. If it doesn't...all us pissed off owners will let him know. Just like politicians, they seem to be kinda slow catching on. They say
something and in 60 seconds it's all around the globe on social media. Same for shitty Polaris Dealers!!
Pirate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an interesting discussion. My overall sense after reading this is aftermarket changes we make are a ‘gray area’ as far as warranty - and seem to may be dependent on your relationship with a dealer.

I have seen this kind situation in the marketplace before. I do find it interesting that none of the burden of maintaining the ‘efficacy’ of expensive warranty agreements - ever falls to the supplier of third party modifications.

Since I’m not a skilled mechanic, I think the lesson for me is never buy ‘upgrades’ direct but work with the dealer. It’s seems logical that the dealer would better support a warranty claim if it revolves around their work.

I also agree with Pirate that legitimate warranty claims are probably limited. These are pretty good machines.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Good point Gnj1501!
One thing. When I moved up to a Gilomen Innovations ECU. I purchased a new ECU programmed by GI. And I kept my OEM ECU. After a few months and no problems. I sent it to Terry and had
it programmed. So I have to exact duplicate Gilomen Innovations ECUs.
So that might be something to think about doing if you're going to get deep into mods in the drivetrain. And if you can find a new ECU and can afford it and having Terry program it for you.
Sigh...decisions, decisions....
But thinking back...if I had the $2500+ I spent on the Polaris 5 year extended warranty....

Pirate

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yup, it's always a crap shoot. To buy or not to buy an extended warranty. With my luck, if I buy it , I'll never use it. If I don't, I'll have an expensive failure and wish I had bought it. Sigh.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
The dealer just replace my front differential under warranty on my 2020 with 6300 miles. I am running 30” tires and clutched. They did not bat an eye. I did not purchase from them. I do have a good relationship with them with all maintenance supplies!

·
Registered
2021 general deluxe, 2 seat
52 Posts
Good point Gnj1501!
One thing. When I moved up to a Gilomen Innovations ECU. I purchased a new ECU programmed by GI. And I kept my OEM ECU. After a few months and no problems. I sent it to Terry and had
it programmed. So I have to exact duplicate Gilomen Innovations ECUs.
So that might be something to think about doing if you're going to get deep into mods in the drivetrain. And if you can find a new ECU and can afford it and having Terry program it for you.
Sigh...decisions, decisions....
But thinking back...if I had the $2500+ I spent on the Polaris 5 year extended warranty....

Pirate
Just curious, why have an exact duplicate ECU?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Waall it is an electronic device. You can't just buy one at any dealer. If it fails and you do put a new stock one in...then you're back to struggling with the misfire detection issue, you have to have a seatbelt bypass, the engine will run hotter. So why not have a ready to go spare? I've sold a lot of unit for Terry. So I sent it to him and he sent it back programmed.
While there the first week of November having the top end done. I asked Terry to check both of them to make sure all is up to date. That was done. Did it cost me? I dunno, right now I can't find the invoice.
But mostly it was because it's an electronic device, it can fail. So I carry a spare.
Like the spare T-map sensor & spray cleaner, The spare spark plugs, The spare fuel pump & test kit.
You would be surprised what the Pirate carries in that Motorhome. I found these nice 28"L x 18"W x 14"T plastic boxes with snap on lids. Quick measurements before purchase. The basement compartments on the new Motorhome will only hold 27 of them. Thus far, Office Depot has only been able to get 12. But I'm working on them! Supply Chain you know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer just replace my front differential under warranty on my 2020 with 6300 miles. I am running 30” tires and clutched. They did not bat an eye. I did not purchase from them. I do have a good relationship with them with all maintenance supplies!
Wow!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts