Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 General xp 1000 deluxe.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do a lot of group riding and a good bit of riding is in back township roads that are so dusty that you can’t see the person in front of you. If it doesn’t rain they are like riding through chalk.

Any extra precautions to protect the machine from dust? It is a 2020 General Cp 1000. Also have heard about blowing dust out of where I think the belt resides. Just ordered a manual from Polaris so I will know how to get access to the belt soon.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My two pesos worth

• Outerwear pre filter socks for your engine air intake and CVT air intake ( they are under your hood)
  • Mountain fit CVT frog skin for your CVT intake grille vent (located Driver’s side rear)
  • Blow hole exhaust fan (look up Todd at Hunterworks, he’s a Forum vender)
  • Extreme dust management look up S&B Particle Separator ($$$$$) but it the best but it is noisy
Or buy a radio (Rugged Radio, PCI, Kenwood) and lay back from the herd in front of you to let the dust settle.

Down here we usually space out about a mile apart, sometimes more.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My two pesos worth

• Outerwear pre filter socks for your engine air intake and CVT air intake ( they are under your hood)
  • Mountain fit CVT frog skin for your CVT intake grille vent (located Driver’s side rear)
  • Blow hole exhaust fan (look up Todd at Hunterworks, he’s a Forum vender)
  • Extreme dust management look up S&B Particle Separator ($$$$$) but it the best but it is noisy
Or buy a radio (Rugged Radio, PCI, Kenwood) and lay back from the herd in front of you to let the dust settle.

Down here we usually space out about a mile apart, sometimes more.

Cheers Baja Charlie
Well the cvt intake on the drivers side does come with a screen and it does say frog skin so that is good. Will get the other items. Does the partial separator really work well enough for the cost?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The Particle Separator works great for your engine air filter. They brag about having to clean your air cleaner once a year. I had one on my RZR and it’s true.
Unfortunately S&B stopped development on a CVT Particle Separator so look into the Blow Hole

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Particle Separator works great for your engine air filter. They brag about having to clean your air cleaner once a year. I had one on my RZR and it’s true.
Unfortunately S&B stopped development on a CVT Particle Separator so look into the Blow Hole

Cheers Baja Charlie
I see videos of guys who mount that separator between the seats or above the roof line.

Do you think I would be able to mount it on the hood somehow? I will be buying a windshield and rear windshield so installing between the seats would probably not be ideal and above the roof line may get hit with branches. Some trails here are a little over grown.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don’t have one because the General seems to draw fresh air better into the air filter than the RZR. But if you decide to get one put it up high. Super quality product and works well.
Your biggest concern is the dust in the CVT. Get the outerwears and blow the belt and clutches out every 250 miles or less or get good at changing belts.

I blow my belts and clutches out every trip and I’m the leader in our group.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Get an OuterWears engine air filter cover too.
Mark your outside clutch cover with permanent marker Gray Dots where each bolt goes. Makes locating them much easier.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get an OuterWears engine air filter cover too.
Mark your outside clutch cover with permanent marker Gray Dots where each bolt goes. Makes locating them much easier.
Looking at the cvt/belt cover it looks to just be plastic so I assume there is no torque value for those? Getting a shop manual in a week for this new machine. The owners manual is pretty vague about stuff.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Just tighten by hand. Don't have to tighten very much just good and snug.
This tool works really slick.
Part # 20-303

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XP 1000 4 Deluxe
161 Posts
I got my first ride in finally and it was dusty. My Desertcraft worked great. Blew out ton of dust and inlet was clean. So far so good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts