Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my ECU back today and paired up with the Duraclutch my general feels like a totally different ride. I had a rzr prior to this and now the General feels just as responsive and bad a** haha. The throttle response, lower RPMs and lower take off really throws you back against the seat and squats the rear. Really happy with the combo!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I already have the Gilomen tune combined with his clutch kit and that made a big difference. The Duraclutch is my next upgrade. I'm guessing by your response that it is a good combo. Everyone that has done it seems very pleased.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the Gilomen tune combined with his clutch kit and that made a big difference. The Duraclutch is my next upgrade. I'm guessing by your response that it is a good combo. Everyone that has done it seems very pleased.
I can’t say how much of an improvement it will be over the Gilomen clutch kit but compared to stock it is way better!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can’t say how much of an improvement it will be over the Gilomen clutch kit but compared to stock it is way better!
I understand, I've been intrigued by the Duraclutch due to its second clutch in the primary and the fact that the belt doesn't slip on the primary. For my riding style, I think this is a superior way to go. The Gilomen clutch kit woke up the factory clutch and works well, I also added the mudder spring for the secondary. It does climb better at the low rpms. However you still get that grabbing from the take off in high range.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can. I bought the Gilomen clutch kit with my tune and was never really happy with it. Starts were more jerky than with the stock setup and I was able to hit 42 in Low. But it didn't feel like I was getting anything from the tune. Messed around with some weights and just couldn't get it where I wanted it. Then read a post about how the Gilomen kit was best for higher speed riding, which is not what I do. I mainly trail ride in Low at 15-25mph.

Ordered a DC and today was the first ride with it. Excellent. Went up a rocky trail and it just creeped up and over the rocks. You can feel a very smooth shift as you accelerate.

This would probably be my second performance recommendation after Shock Therapy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can. I bought the Gilomen clutch kit with my tune and was never really happy with it. Starts were more jerky than with the stock setup and I was able to hit 42 in Low. But it didn't feel like I was getting anything from the tune. Messed around with some weights and just couldn't get it where I wanted it. Then read a post about how the Gilomen kit was best for higher speed riding, which is not what I do. I mainly trail ride in Low at 15-25mph.

Ordered a DC and today was the first ride with it. Excellent. Went up a rocky trail and it just creeped up and over the rocks. You can feel a very smooth shift as you accelerate.

This would probably be my second performance recommendation after Shock Therapy.
I love the shift as you pick up speed from a start. Like you said feels very smooth. I also enjoy the lower RPMs with the tune. Keeping noise and engine temp down definitely makes the ride more enjoyable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand, I've been intrigued by the Duraclutch due to its second clutch in the primary and the fact that the belt doesn't slip on the primary. For my riding style, I think this is a superior way to go. The Gilomen clutch kit woke up the factory clutch and works well, I also added the mudder spring for the secondary. It does climb better at the low rpms. However you still get that grabbing from the take off in high range.
With the DC, I no longer experience any jerky starts. Nice and smooth!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m looking at doing this combo as well. I have a 4 seater on 30’s. Just curious what you guys are running?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm running the stock 30" tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m looking at doing this combo as well. I have a 4 seater on 30’s. Just curious what you guys are running?
I have the same thing, looking at this exact upgrade. Doing a tender spring update first, then this is next. Dura Clutch paired with a Giloment tune. I am a trail rider and country roads. I am never exceeding 25mph, 30mph Max when needed.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the same thing, looking at this exact upgrade. Doing a tender spring update first, then this is next. Dura Clutch paired with a Giloment tune. I am a trail rider and country roads. I am never exceeding 25mph, 30mph Max when needed.
You should love the DC then. Before it was hitting limiter at 31-32 in L, now I have had it to 38 and still haven't hit it. Great clutch for trail riding.

I ride with some X3's and Turbo S's and while they can still leave me on a long straight, I don't have to stop and shift to H nearly as much anymore.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

You should have called Terry Gilomen and told him what you were experiencing. I'm sure he would have had thoughts on the situation and some recommendations!
Pirae

·
Registered
739 Posts
You should have called Terry Gilomen and told him what you were experiencing. I'm sure he would have had thoughts on the situation and some recommendations!
Pirae
I did. He gave me some suggestions on weights and no matter what I tried, it didn't seem any different than stock. Hence the purchase of the DC. Which is a major upgrade to stock.

Note: This is not a dig on Terry Gilomen. He provided all the help I wanted. But you can't make a stock clutch work like a DC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps those of you who have a DC can enlighten me, but why does it not work with higher speed riding along with slower? I understand the mechanics so far as it having a centrifugal clutch in the primary for smoother engagement, but once engaged why would the rest of the clutching for the primary and secondary be any worse when riding at higher speeds? At that point the centrifugal clutch is locked up and the rest of the system works in a normal CVT manner doesn't it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps those of you who have a DC can enlighten me, but why does it not work with higher speed riding along with slower? I understand the mechanics so far as it having a centrifugal clutch in the primary for smoother engagement, but once engaged why would the rest of the clutching for the primary and secondary be any worse when riding at higher speeds? At that point the centrifugal clutch is locked up and the rest of the system works in a normal CVT manner doesn't it?
The DC doesn’t make high speed riding worse. It primarily benefits take offs because the belt is constantly squeezed between the sheaves. This makes the clutch perfect for pulling heavy loads and easing into the throttle. That doesn’t mean it changes the high speed. Todd from Hunterworks has a good video on the duraclutch that explains this nicely. I can run 75 in my general with tune and clutch no problem.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A few notes...
One thing the DuraClutch Primary doesn't like is just flat flooring the go pedal from a dead stop. The "sheave clutches" one on each sheave, have a set of, sorta like brake pads, that begin to fly out, with springs working against the centrifugal force. As then pads begin to make contact with the clutch lining mounted inside the sheaves, the machine will begin to move. From idle, 1150 rpm to 1450 rpm at which the sheave clutches are fully engaged you get the smooth starts. If you floored it from a stop...the sheave clutches take a lot of abuse. Get up to say 1500 rpm and then punch it...no problems at all.
So if you're up on an obstacle and stop, then need power to get moving again...you can't punch the gas. You have to plan your attack to be able to get moving and then begin applying power. Believe me, I know. Got up on about a 4' diameter rock, got hung up a bit. So punched it good to get going again... ripped the Sheave clutches up. Then Jerky starts...sent it back to DuraClutch, $75 to replace the Sheave clutches. Lesson learned.

With a DuraClutch kit installed, as you smoothly accelerate you can actually feel when the clutch weights are moving and thus moving the belt up the sheaves as distinct shifts. Very nice to feel. Same for slowing down. I like this feature!

Gilomen ECU program. Be sure to tell Terry, when you order, what size tires you are running, that makes a difference in the programming. And Terry is very helpful if you change to a different size tire. Me, I'm back to 28" tires. EFX Motovators to be exact. with the DuraClutch kit, Gilomen Innovations ECU program and Shock Therapy RIS 2 in my Fox Podium shocks (and accompanying 2" lift). There's no where I can't go...as long as I don't get stupid!!

Pirate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts