Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone explain to me why polaris phases the drive shafts the way they do? Everything I have learned over my lengthy career as a tech screams to me as it is soooo wrong. Even the parts diagram shows the front shaft to be about 20 degrees out of phase. I can see this being a cause of the front rattling noise everyone is talking about. If I weren't on warranty, I would take it out and send it to my local drive line shop to get it phased and balanced. I would almost bet it would run way smoother

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I WOULD AGREE 100% WITH YOU!!!!! all my schooling / and experience screams WRONG. Built many many racecars mud dragsters and 4x4s in my time can't begin to think why it works Had planned on taking mine and doing the very thing and fix it. but with the replacement shaft (still not phased mind you) mine is noise free for the moment! Make no since to me! :|

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just my non-mechanical observation, but in this video, the correctly phased shaft appears to be about 20 degrees off...pause it and have a look
Good catch. :grin2: but that's an error in the demonstration. It would show up as a vibration with angle at higher rpm. They need to be lined up. There are plenty of examples on u tube.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
So just now, watched this video:

It speaks to the driveshaft yokes having to be in phase.

But then goes on to talk about U-joint angles, and if the angle at each U-joint is different, there will be vibration.

That gets the me to wondering if Polaris isn't adjusting the driveshaft yoke angle, phasing, to counteract for U-joint angles.

I can't remember, didn't pay that much attention...but isn't the driveshaft coming out of the trans and going to the carrier bearing just dang near horizontal? And does the driveshaft from the carrier bearing to the Hilliard diff typically have a tilt down to the diff? So then perhaps a certain amount of "out of phase" is necessary to offset the U-joint angles at the front and rear of the driveshaft between the carrier bearing and the Hilliard diff?

Curious now. As I noted in another thread on this subject. The front driveshaft on my RZR 800 is 53.2 degrees out of phase and never made noise until the U-joints were wearing out.

Hmmmm....just more thoughts.

Pirate

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Whew....now here's another YouTube video on another type of joint...but about the middle of the video, he shows what happens as the angle of the U-joint changes...and seems to me...to go out of phase.

And yeah, towards the end of the video...this joint seems to be designed for helicopter rotors...so ain't gonna find them on a General any time soon!!

Thoughts?

Pirate

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
So I've got my OEM front driveshafts on the bench. Got my CCI Driveline front driveshafts installed, but the machine not quite back together.

Have a post of all I've learned coming...

But even as a Mechanical Engineer...I can't find anything on how one decides what the phasing should be.

Now consider these points...from back to front:

The transmission output shaft tilts down some, the driveshaft is about level, so there is an angle there.

The carrier bearing is a few inches to the passenger side from the transmission output shaft, another angle.

The front driveshaft section angles more to the passenger side from the carrier bearing so, another angle.

The front driveshaft section angles onto the Hilliard diff pinion shaft, so an angle there.

The Hilliard diff pinion shaft is tilted down just a bit. So an angle there.

So you have five (5) angles in the front driveshafts...

So there must be some way of deciding how to phase the two driveshaft sections and three joints...and have it not vibrate and make noise.

But I'll be danged if I can find an engineering study on how to do it...and I'll keep looking!!!

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
After seeing and listening to the video Pirate how do you feel about your new constant velocity front shaft? Lets hope it will hold up being both ends are going to run at an angle all the time. what is the worse of the two? We will have to see!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Well...time for an update. This one will focus on the OEM driveshafts that are now on the bench in my machine shop.

Here's a pic of the two driveshaft sections assembled. A piece of shim to bring the center U-joint to 0.00 degrees, or perfectly horizontal:

Here is a pic of the U-joint at the transmission output shaft. The phase angle is 45.10 degrees counterclockwise from horizontal:

Here is a pic of the U-joint at the Hilliard differential pinion shaft. The phase angle is 40.30 degrees clockwise from horizontal:

What does this mean? I dunno?
I'm hoping that someone can get the same data for a set of the Polaris replacement driveshafts and perhaps from their original driveshafts.
The angle meter is a Harbor Freight tool. Not very expensive, but very accurate.

Thoughts?

Pirate

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
RockinRonnie,

Well, I've just about finished the install of the CCI Driveline CV driveshafts. They are very nice looking units. Three CV joints. One at the transmission output shaft, one at the carrier bearing and one at the Hilliard pinion shaft. Both the forward and rear sections have two balance weights on them.

Mine is only the second set produced, I believe there are three at this time. I've provided a good bit of feedback to Eric at CCI Driveline and there may be a minor change to the overall length of the forward section.

I pretty much just have to reinstall the the skid plates and I'm ready for a test run. That of course is dependent on the temperature getting above 20 degrees and the 10 inches of snow melting. But the weather forecast says we'll be in the low 50's all next week...so I should get the test run done.

I'm holding back on posting all the work I did until I hear back from Eric on some notes I sent him this evening. Only seems fair that we agree before posting that might very well affect the product being made available to everyone that wants them.

But, from the get go, these are excellent looking driveshafts, well protected CV joints, a new and better carrier bearing, and obviously balanced. The are marked with a paint stick for proper alignment and instructions provided. But I'm providing my thoughts on the instructions.

That's it for now. More to come.

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Will be looking forward to the write up And to see how the cv joints hold up with the angle they will run all the time at both ends!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello general owners , i have installed and ran 260 miles in my cci drive line my over all though is i really like it but i now can hear the dreaded dif noise . In talking to eric some minor adjustments have to be made as i believe it will make install much easier . The cv run very smooth with no vibration ,There instructions were good and first install took about 4hr. and removing them took less than a hr. I am thinking next on my list will be the front dif but knowing the drive shaft wont shake the bearings apart from the harmonics created by the stock shaft will be good building blocks .

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
what is CCI charging for their driveshafts?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
CCI Driveline's website says:

PLEASE NOTE!: This product is being offered as a limited release to candidates who have a good mechanical aptitude and willingness to participate in test-group activities. Test group activities may consist of verbal and written feedback on the product. We have had a local test group that has proven our design. The idea of extending a larger test group is to gather more information on lengths of shafts and fitment of product for all Polaris SXS models. This information will be used to create a more complete database in order to establish specific installation instructions for each model.

I believe I have the second or third set shipped. There are some changes needed to the kit before it is something that will take only the steps in the instructions to install.

I have worked with my set every day since December 30th and just this afternoon have the machine completely reassembled and ready for a test ride. As their website says, you had better be very mechanically inclined and be like me, have a very complete steel fab shop to install them.

Hopefully soon the design and testing will be complete and the kits will be available to everyone. Having installed them, they are very well made, balanced. I asked for some info on the CV joints as they are fully enclosed in a metal shield with rubber boots on the ends, but have not heard anything. So I have not been able to any research on the design or quality of the CV joints. But I would think they are very good.

As I noted, I haven't even started the motor since completing the installation. Time will tell.

Pirate

·
Registered
129 Posts
Curious on the comment about needing to own a steel fab shop to install the drive lines. What exactly are you having to modify that makes this so difficult? Is there welding required? Machining required? Replacing drive lines is pretty straight forward in all the other Polaris sxs's.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Have called cci driveline myself located in Casco Michigan and anybody can order a shaft! and install it. all that is needed is general mechanical no how. NO FAB SHOP needed the exact quote from web sight is:

PLEASE NOTE!: This product is being offered as a limited release to candidates who have a good mechanical aptitude and willingness to participate in test-group activities. Test group activities may consist of verbal and written feedback on the product. We have had a local test group that has proven our design. The idea of extending a larger test group is to gather more information on lengths of shafts and fitment of product for all Polaris SXS models. This information will be used to create a more complete database in order to establish specific installation instructions for each model.

I think pirates wording may have confused a few.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts