Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Informal poll here.
How many people have the door skin separation issue?
Have you pointed it out to your dealer?
What have they done about the issue?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do.
Called the stealer yesterday and he said he hadnt heard anything about it.
Plan on bringing it in next week to have them look at it and get the clock fixed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine was not right from the get go. I pointed it out to the service manager and he said " its just a plastic door" and shrugged his shoulders..... My face got a little red a bit my tongue and said.... " yeah its a plastic door on a new bike I just paid $20,000 for and its under warranty and I wont buy it if you don't go ahead and pull the paperwork on it and make a claim."......

I'm starting to not like my dealer. Everyone else seems to like them.... They just don't seem to like me.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
22 Posts
I asked about this about a month ago when I got mine and some said they had the issue. I reported it 2 days after having it and the dealer contacted Polaris. Finally today they got both panels in and it goes Monday to get replaced so I will report back and let you all know if it's fixed. Mine is also just the drivers side.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine does it on the drivers side that I know of, not sure about the passenger I will have to go check it out. Does anybody now if there is a fix for it, so if they replace them are the new ones gonna do the same thing?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The problem is that rubber seal that goes around the front and bottom and back side of the door. It is too thick and causes the door to bend in the middle and come apart. That is also the reason they don't fit flush at the bottom.

The first Generals that Polaris paraded around the dealers for demo rides didn't have that seal and the doors fit great and flush like they are supposed to but they added that rubber seal to the production ones.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not picking on you rockman, you just gave me the perfect lead-in to my rant. :grin2:
The problem is that...
While I agree that may be the underlying cause of this particular issue, the PROBLEM is that Polaris continues to have serious quality control issues. Whether it's a lack of funding in that department or a lack of caring I do not know but it's been prevalent for years.
-triple cylinder jetskis in the '90s that burned pistons
-800 sled motors in the '00s with crank bearing issues
-for 7 years RZRs had a seam in the floorboard that leaked and the first several years had a gap at the cowl that would allow chunks of mud to come in and land on your feet.

Now here we are with the General...less than one year into production and they've changed the rear of the frame to allow access to the differential fill plug.

All of this begs the question...who the **** is doing the test driving/maintenance on these things that these issues aren't being addressed in development?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here I sit with a 4 month old, $20,000 machine and a $2,000 extended warranty (I got raped there it seems) and the doors won't stay together.
The regional Polaris rep visited the dealer and I was told he claimed he "had to whip the door shut so hard to duplicate the problem that it nearly tore the hinges off. The door is not designed to be used in this manner" so the claim was closed. I literally waited 6 hours to go pick up the machine because I was so livid.
The rep is either incompetent or a complete liar.
Or maybe I just have an incredibly strong index finger on my non-dominant hand.:surprise:
https://youtu.be/XkroBDx960I

·
Registered
197 Posts
So mine was wrong from the get go. I made them make a warranty claim before I took it off the floor. Well they first sent a red door..... before the reds were released... them just a decal. FINALLY had a chance to take it and get it replaced..... FAIL! the door they replaced it with is worse than the original and the dealer has to install the decal.. he failed at that also. It has a huge crease and air bubbles in it. I had to make another claim before I picked it up. I also watched them note in the paperwork that it wasn't correct when I picked it up. The service manager said... "What do you want me to do?" I about lost it there.... I told him I would be the worst pain in his side until it was fixed... He said he would have to call Polaris i said good I would be doing the same........ not a happy camper about this....If they cant do something simple like this I dont want them working on my bike.

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.. and the dealer has to install the decal.. he failed at that also. It has a huge crease and air bubbles in it....
I feel your pain brother. Mine had a wrinkle and 2 air bubbles from the get-go. I mentally weighed my options and decided that bleeding the air bubbles myself and living with the small wrinkle was probably better than the alternative of having the dealer attempt to replace the sticker. Depending what Polaris comes up with on the separation issue I may be in the same boat anyway.:frown2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I called Polaris to see what I should do about my situation. They looked up my information..... There has never been a warranty claim made on my VIN number. They just did the work in house. So now there is no record of the door being replaced for warranty claim. If my warranty had ended before I knew this.... I would have been SOL if you know what I mean. So I ask the customer rep at Polaris if he can look into this for me. He said NO. That the authorized service centers are privately owned and I have to contact them and work it out...... Really?

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
112 Posts
treebeme, I hear ya I went through the same thing with them. Isn't it rediculous, they don't stand behind nothing, I mean nothing at all. I don't give a rats ass if the dealerships are privatly owned, Polaris still needs to stand behind a 20,000. unit. That is just my opinion, I will never again buy another Polaris product if they don't change there warranty ways for sure!!!

Reactions: treebeme

·
Registered
22 Posts
Took mine to the dealer today to get the replacement panels on and it took them about an hour but no separation or anything. The guy brought it out and asked me if it was good and I opened the door and slammed it as hard as I could and it didn't separate. Got a pretty weird look though lol. My dealer was pretty eager to help and they did say there have been a few brought in with the same issue and Polaris seems to be working with people on the issue.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The regional Polaris rep visited the dealer and I was told he claimed he "had to whip the door shut so hard to duplicate the problem that it nearly tore the hinges off. The door is not designed to be used in this manner" so the claim was closed....
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the local regional representative for Polaris had physically come into the dealership shop and inspected my actual doors on my actual machine. This is not the case. A Polaris representative in Minnesota walked into a warehouse and attempted to recreate the issue on a machine they keep on hand. Because this machine in MN required excessive force to recreate the issue they claim it is not a design flaw and closed the claim on my machine in Idaho.
I am dumbfounded.

The fact that our doors won't stay together now is not a design flaw. It appears they are claiming we have all slammed our doors shut with excessive force to create this problem...that includes all the brand new machines with the issue sitting on dealership floors.

I asked how much use the machine in the warehouse gets. That data was not available. Could it be that slamming the door once causes the issue but also that closing the door normally 20 times causes it? Is it still my fault that the plastic clips won't hold together in that scenario? Was I limited on the number of times the door was allowed to be used before said use became "excessive"? I don't recall seeing a "door use" counter on the machine anywhere. Is there a warning light in the display for this? Was it named "General" because we're supposed to climb through the freaking windows to get in and out?

I am attempting to work with Polaris Customer Service Resolutions to get them to acknowledge that there is a widespread issue with these door skins. Please spread the word. Polaris needs to see "numbers" to recognize that there is a problem. They have been given a link to the video and this thread.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok, Here is My story,

When I purchased my General they had it taken in the back and washed. When they brought it back out I walked out and was looking it over. I opened the door and it separated in my hands. I called the salesman over and showed it to him. He saw it and agreed it was wrong. He called the service manager out and he looked at it and acted like it was my fault for buying something with plastic door. I made it clear to him I didn't care what it was made out of I just paid 20 grand for it and I wanted to make a warranty claim before I left with it. He said ok and I thought it was taken care of. Well I kept calling and could never get an answer on when to bring it back. Finally a door came in.... It was a red door.... before they even released the red model. Then the decal came in.... Then finally the door came in. I was close to the 25 hour service and asked if I could just wait and do it then. They dealer said yes that would be great. Well Finally I take it in for service and they have no idea about any warranty work, but they have a black door and decal. They tell me they have it figured out and I get the work done. When I go to pick up my General the door is in worse shape than the original door. Before I even get in and look at it I go to the service deck and complain. They agree that the work was not right and I say go ahead and make another claim. The service manager agrees. I call Polaris Customer Service on the following Monday to follow up and they look my vin number up and it has NEVER had a warranty claim put on it. So I call the dealer back and he finally admits they just did the work with parts around the shop. The next morning he calls and gives me a case number for a claim. I call Polaris Customer Service and they do see the claim, but it's and incomplete claim and the service dept never sent pictures..... so now I'm going to have to take time off work AGAIN so the dealer can take pictures. Polaris said I should leave it with them until I can get this resolved. I have a problem leaving my ride with a dealer that races what looked like showroom floor bikes across the parking lot instead of helping customers.

more info as the story unfolds.....lol moral of the story..... GET IT IN WRITING!

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
MY 17 deluxe came in today at dealer went to check it out and both doors look great so far. drivers door handle not there pointed it out and they ordered one for me. said nobody has ever said anything about door handle missing. Will keep an eye on door separation. Sale's manager said they have not had any complaints on separation. I can hope!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts