Polaris General Forum banner

Done with Fox & Shock Therapy - Need ideas.

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  TCampbell 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a trip to Windrock in less than 2 weeks. So today we took it out to break in a new belt and new front wheel bearings. So we were taking it easy.

Then we starting hearing this awful squeaking noise from the rear. Stopped and went back and looked and sure enough, that same shock was busted. Haven't had a chance to get pics, but I will.

So short story is I need/want new shocks.

Torn between what I might be able to get in 10 days vs what I will want long term. My choices:

814 Suspension
Elka Stage 3 or 4
Bandits.

Anyone have any feedback on these. What I will not being doing is sending it back to Shock Therapy so they can charge me $500-700 to "fix" it so it can break again. This is the 3rd time for this particular shock.

#6 ·
Will do.

#4 ·
I'm sorry to hear that, Its crazy how much problem that has been. Good luck with your choices, I've heard good things about both. I would probably lean toward the 814, but that's probably the problem of time your talking about.

#7 ·
Are these QS3 Fox shocks? My General is awaiting the third rebuild in 600 miles - on QS3's. I'd like to have a spare set, so I don't miss rides, but I think that all of my shocks are peculiar to the position they are in. The reservoir needs to be at a certain angle to work. It would be nice to just carry one spare shock for the machine, but don't think that would work. Even better would be if the shocks lasted more than 200 miles.

#8 ·
Reactions: nathan.d.hajek
#9 ·
3 years and my qs3's are good still, might be a certain run of them that were bad? I dont know anybody up here having issues with qs3's either sleds or quads or sxs's. I put 4000km hard mountain km's on my sled that had qs3's and never a hiccup either.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

#10 ·
3 years and my qs3's are good still, might be a certain run of them that were bad? I dont know anybody up here having issues with qs3's either sleds or quads or sxs's. I put 4000km hard mountain km's on my sled that had qs3's and never a hiccup either.
Are you running stock?

Looking at the body it simply seems the plastic divider wore through the aluminum body. I think you need a steel body of you are going to run a dual setup on the east coast. There is just too much mud and grit that get between the divider and body and the abrasive friction just wears holes in it.

I found a set of used rears on Ebay which will get me through my trip. But I am looking real hard at the 814's. The big appeal is no dual rate, so no slider to wear out the body. Reading reviews of them now.

#15 ·
Ok, so I found a pair of old RZR 900S shocks, so my trip will happen. :) Might not ride as good, but with the ST dual-rate springs on the old shocks, it still should ride better than stock.

Future term, I pulled the trigger on a set of 814 3-ways. Looked the Elka's but they migth have the same issues at the Fox's with the divider getting grit under it and rubbing on the shock body. Looks like I am about a month out. Once I get them I will do a review and comparison to the ST's.

#17 ·
Any updates?

I've got stock Fox QS3 shocks that are leaking so time for a rebuild or upgrade. I have the Shock Therapy dual rate springs already but am open to ideas outside of Shock Therapy.
Got the 814's on and after 3-4 rides, I have them dialed in pretty good. They ride very nice. I think the rear kicks a bit more than the ST ones going over large bumps at speed, but I haven't really messed with adjusting my High Speed compression settings. Just used the initial setting he said to use and I haven't adjusted it since I haven't really needed to. When fall comes and my ride buddies put away their boats, and we do some faster riding I will tinker with it then.

But overall I am very pleased with them and would buy them again.

Reactions: TCampbell
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.