Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is how I wired up my dome light to where it comes on when I open the door and off when I close it (like your truck). My disclaimer is I am not an electrician so this is how I did this!!!! The actually dash switch I just will allow you to turn on the dome light, allow it to come on with the door, or it is off all together:

OTRATTW :: Switch Body :: SPDT ON/OFF/ON :: V-SERIES SEALED ROCKER SWITCH, BODY ONLY, NO ROCKER

The below link is to the switch that goes in the door frame to complete the ground when using the Door On option. This switch has to be grounded to the frame and the wire goes back to the dash switch which completes the ground circuit:

Wiring explanation: (see Diagram of wiring)
The hot wire goes from ignition HOT directly to the Dome light.

Ground from light goes to the input side of the dash switch.

Battery ground goes to the Output side of the dash switch for continuously ON. (dash switch to pushed up Dome light ON)

Wire from Door switch goes to Output side of the Dash switch for the Door ON option (Dash switch pushed down Dome light ON only when Door is Open).

When the switch is in the middle position the Dome light is OFF always. This Dash switched is wired to completed the Ground circuit, which is just the opposite of how you would normally Wire a Dash Switch.

The rubber stopper on the door is what strikes the Door switch to depress the button.

Link to Video of Dash switch operation.

https://youtu.be/8vKDtKQ90bw

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
What light did you mount in the roof?

Reactions: Trapper and 2722

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great write up. I like it. Two questions, where did you get the rocker for the dash switch, and do you have a link for the light itself. Thanks. Ride safe, ride insured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts