Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not looking to run mud tires, but need something that will handle some deep mud and water, sand, hard pack and run in the snow. I am planning on the highlifter arms for clearance and likely the RC2 shocks for better ride and handling as I don't have the stock fox shocks and was planning on running 29's or 30's. Will this set up still corner as well as stock? Taller sidewall is bound to have a little more roll to it, I know. But for the most part? Suggestions on tires?

If not going with huge mud cleats, I should only see about a 1-2" overall height increase, correct? Need to make sure I can still get in a standard height garage door! Forgot about that little detail! :surprise:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Moving up to a 30" tire from a 27" tire will give you 1.5" of lift if they both run true to size. I haven't noticed a big difference in handling but my 30's don't corner as good. Nothing I would worry so much about that I wouldn't upgrade over stock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have 30s on mine--mounted on 16 inch rims--and have not experienced any handling issues or a difference from stock. The 16 inch rims mean that the sidewall height is only slightly different than the stock set up. I have the Moto MTC tires and have been very pleased so far.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmkirkland, I missed that you ran 16's when you first posted your pics. Never thought about jumping 2" up on wheels. Had seen 15's, but not 16's. Still seems like there is plenty of sidewall for protection too. And I'm not a huge rock crawler or anything. Looks sharp man! How do you like the tires? Good in all conditions or better in some than others?

I was actually just talking to Doug over at Sidebyside Audio about yours. Think I am doing the 4 up top and 2 subs below. I soooo don't need it, but am a huge audiophile and sounds like Doug and I both come from old school car audio days and brands, so I liked what he had to say. He is about my size too and said he has no issues with legroom, headroom, etc. which was a concern as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am very happy with the 16s and the MTC tires. They have performed well in every situation--mud and light sand. They are also smooth at high speeds on hard pack--even with pretty aggressive lugs. There aren't many 16 options out there but I believe they look great--something different than "normal"---which is always important to me.

Glad you reached out. Doug is great and the product has been great. I have way more stereo than one needs but it sounds great--and life is too short for "half way". ;). The 4 up top with the subs will be more than enough. You'll love it.

As a side note--I ran the power wires from the amps through the cage to Blue Sea Maxi fuse holders under the hood. I have a separate Blue Sea fuse block but the amps tests the 30A rating of the Blue Sea panel circuits. I jumped from the main bus bar to the Maxi holders. These probably aren't needed but they provide great protection for the system. I also exchanged all mounting hardware to stainless steel just so I have no worries about corrosion. I've done that with all mounting hardware--worth the few extra bucks in my opinion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good call on the install! Always worth a few extra bucks to do it right. I see a few people doing dual battery set ups. Did you have to do this on yours with the stereo and light bars, etc? Guessing they are assuming you will be running quite a bit or they wouldn't have so many knock out spots for switches.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the Highlifter lift kit and 10.00x30x14 Roctane HD tires and can't really tell any difference in handling or power over the 27" Dirt Commanders. The added ground clearance makes a big difference. A friend of mine has a stock '17 General and has had to be pulled from high centering in deep mud holes where I had no problem at all. Well worth any trade off on the handling in my opinion. :grin2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
MW--I do not have a second battery installed. I am definitely thinking about it but I haven't needed to yet. Also, I haven't quite figured out where or how to install that second battery. I see another string on the forum about adding a battery. I'll have to study it. But I haven't had any issues yet...........

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Great to know that handling won't be that different with the kit and will definitely help me with some of the deep ruts at the parks! I just didn't want it to get all tippy and sloppy in the corners or anything, as right now these things handle pretty well! Now someone needs to come up with a push button disconnect for the front sway bar!

I looked at the Rocktanes a bit, as I have seen a few guys go with those and they seem to work well in most situations. Dealer was trying to get me to go with some Ultracross tires, but I think they would get stuck in the mud. Good for most other scenarios, but we get a lot of sloppy trails around here. Looking at the OMF Beadlocks. Those things look awesome! I have Hiper carbon beadlocks on my 450R and considered those either. Probably an inch or two larger than the 14.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MW--I do not have a second battery installed. I am definitely thinking about it but I haven't needed to yet. Also, I haven't quite figured out where or how to install that second battery. I see another string on the forum about adding a battery. I'll have to study it. But I haven't had any issues yet...........
I made a bracket for a second battery. Was super easy. I posted it on the dual battery string

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts