Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 1st time plowing snow with this new General and a 72” Denali plow.
My previous plow machine was a 2006 Rhino with a 72” American eagle plow. Plowed with it for 13 years, zero issues.

But, This Denali plow ,when my blade is angled to the Right (throw snow to the right) the blade digs in on the Left side!
I tried not angling it as much but still does the same thing. If I angle the blade all the way to the Left, the Right side digs in!
It won’t throw snow to the right or left! I ended up just keeping the blade straight and pushing snow.
Had to make about 3 zillion re-passes tho.

The only major difference I can see in the way the push tube on this Denali connects to the mount on the machine is: American plow used 2 big bolts with locknuts. No slop. The Denali connects with 2 pins that are undersized and has a lot of slop.
I think I’m gonna try big bolts and see what happens.
Anyone have any ideas or a better solution??
This was a neighbors driveway this morning. Had to plow uphill for a mile and a half to get to his house .

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m not a snow plow guy, but I did operate a motorgrader for years. You might see it there is an adjustment on the moboard, the curved blade, that would pull the top of the blade back towards the machine. That way the plow is riding on the back of the cutting edge, reducing the tendency to dig in.

On the trucks we had with plows, they ran adjustable skids on each side, with the cutting edge of the plow 1/8”-1/4” above the shoe on the skid, to keep them from digging in. I don’t know if your plow has skids or not, just some ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You might have to lower your skids on the side that is digging in while plowing. It will be a pain if you have to do that everytime you plow a different direction.
We never had this problem on any of our plows.
Good luck and let us know what works for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You might have to lower your skids on the side that is digging in while plowing. It will be a pain if you have to do that everytime you plow a different direction.
We never had this problem on any of our plows.
Good luck and let us know what works for you.
I think you mean to raise the skid on the side that is digging in.
Which might work.

edit: nope your right. Lower skid. Yes that would be a pain to do every time I move the blade. My guess is it has something to do with the undersized pins where the push tube attaches to the mount on the machine. I’m gonna bigger bolts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not a snow plow guy, but I did operate a motorgrader for years. You might see it there is an adjustment on the moboard, the curved blade, that would pull the top of the blade back towards the machine. That way the plow is riding on the back of the cutting edge, reducing the tendency to dig in.

On the trucks we had with plows, they ran adjustable skids on each side, with the cutting edge of the plow 1/8”-1/4” above the shoe on the skid, to keep them from digging in. I don’t know if your plow has skids or not, just some ideas.

Yes there are adjustment blocks on the back of the blade that controls the angle of the blade, back or forward. I’ll try adusting that a bit and pull the top of the blade back.
My issue is the blade is digging in on the opposite side that you are trying to throw snow. ( the side farthest from the machine when the blade is angled) when the blade is straight, it’s fine.
My plow does have adjustable skids, up or down. I’ve got them set to have the blade about 1/2 above the surface.
I mostly plow dirt/gravel roads. For a blacktop driveway I set them to 1/4”.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On motorgrader, your leading point usually wants to dig in, while the other end discharging your material usually wants to ride higher. If you decide to adjust the blade pitch, watch the cutting edge as you rotate the blade back on the top side. When you have the most surface area of the cutting edge going to touch the ground, that is the least it will cut.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Forgot to add we took our skids off and got some hard surface welding rods and welded the hard surface to the bottom of the skid where it contacts the ground. Never went through a set of skids after doing that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On motorgrader, your leading point usually wants to dig in, while the other end discharging your material usually wants to ride higher. If you decide to adjust the blade pitch, watch the cutting edge as you rotate the blade back on the top side. When you have the most surface area of the cutting edge going to touch the ground, that is the least it will cut.

Mine is the opposite.
My discharge end wants to dig in and the leading point is to high. I tested this on flat blacktop.
Both skids adjusted so blade is 1/4” off the ground when the blade is straight. Once I angle it the discharge end is high. I’m gonna try the bolts and get rid of the undersized pins.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I adjusted the skids down a 1/4" from factory on our KFI poly blade. The blade doesn't sit natural to the ground when its angled, but if I use the skids to bottom it out, I just let the winch out till it floats with the road surface (flat on lake ice, or crowned on our semi-private crushed concrete cabin road). Kicks out just a few rocks on crushed concrete, but mostly gets down to skim layer of snow. Hopefully that makes sense. I should easily get 10+ years out of the skid pads as there's been very little wear so far on year 1).

My only complaint is the AWD system is kinda sucky when we get 12+" of heavy white stuff. I'll probably run chains on all four corners next year so the rears can handle most of the traction.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Problem solved on the plow. I had to install the 2" push tube lift kit.
I have the SuperATV 3" front leveling lift on my General.
Bolting on the Pushtube lift solved the weird angle issue I was having.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts