Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but couldn't find so here we go.

I was just quoted $400.00 for a break-in fluid change.
Dealer said it was 3 hrs @100 per and parts, around another 100.

The dealer that sold me the G4 told me it would be right at $250...

I want a dealer to do the first one because I was a victim of the diff plugs on the RZR's being over-torqued from the factory
and don't want to deal with that again.

Not to mention the horror stories about the filter I've read on here.

Thank you!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me that is high. Get a few quotes and compare.

But you have a work area and tools, so I say do it yourself.
It is not that difficult and you will learn more about your machine.
As a rule, when I buy a vehicle brand new, I always have the dealer do the first service.
Cars, trucks, bikes, tractors, etc. In case there is something wrong, or goes wrong, it's on them.

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
940 Posts
The $100 for fluids is close. The 3 hrs to do it is way off. Maybe 2 hrs max.... like stated before, do it yourself if your capable. I've had 2 Generals and 2 sportsmans the last 5 yrs. None of the plugs were tight, BUT I make sure the allen socket is all the way in before I try to put any pressure on the socket... if you're 100% set on hiring someone to do it, then $100 for fluids and 2 hrs of time is more than enough

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
940 Posts
Weeeeeelll ****. Everyone is booked out until August.... so... looks like I'll be doing this one myself.
Just make sure to use a pick and some compressed air to clean out the allen hole. Then take your allen socket and tap it all the way in. Maybe put a mark about a 1/4"-3/8" up the allen part so you can visually see how far it really is in... I don't for see any issues if you get that allen socket in all the way...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,713 Posts
Yeah, but it's so nice to to have to mess with Allen sockets and worry about some tech overtorquing the plug and stripping out the allen broach.

Keep in mind now, the torque for the engine oil drain plug is 14 ft-lbs. The rest of the drain and fill/level plugs is 12 ft-lbs.
That means... using a 10mm socket, or the correct size allen socket, get the drain plug(s) finger tight.
Then using an 8" ratchet turn the ratchet the amount of one hour on a clock face. So that 1 hour of movement is all it takes to torque the plugs. That's all, period.
I've had a 1/4" drive MAC torque wrench for some 30 years. Got it for torquing bolts on the top of H-D Evolution rocker boxes. Set it to the correct torque, 12 or 14 ft-lbs
and tighten the plugs. You would be amaze how little "turn of the wrench" it takes.

Just sayin'
Pirate

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Harbor Freight stuff in not all that bad but it seems to me that if one can afford a $30,000.00 + toy, they should also be able to acquire a good quality set of tools in which to break it......... errrr, I mean work on it with. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts