Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hope this isn't a sign of quality issues to come. I was very hesitant buying a new Polaris after walking away from them 15+ years ago.
Finally got my 2020 General out for a semi-hard ride, nothing crazy but spited; got her home cleaned her up and did all my after ride inspections and DAM!! drivers side rear CV boot is detached from the inner part of CV shaft. It was an "are you flipping kidding me moment" this is why I stayed away from Polaris for all these years (been a Can-Am guy) with few problems that weren't self inflicted.
Now I have a CV boot that was off for who knows how long, it's not tore or ripped, the dam thing just came off, with the band dangling on the shaft unbroken. Rode through a few creeks, some mud, etc. got it all cleaned up, still a ton of grease in there, a little grit from the trails and a little water from washing it up I'm sure.
I'm going to wipe all the grease out I can, repack with new grease and put new clamp on. I really DO NOT want to pull the dam shaft; but now I'm worried do I have a time bomb on my hand, how much if any damage????? Grease in the boot and joint still pretty clean, not muddy or terrible but just a little grit if I rub between fingers long enough.... but.....REALLY!!
My brother-in-law has a brand new 4 seater, just picked up 3 weeks ago, been back at dealer or had to call dealer with issue 3 times already; his latest.... get this, the dam exhaust cracked, nearly in half; putting down the road and started to rattle and got loud, flipping exhaust cracked up near the manifold...

I hate to say it but my re-visit to Polaris may be short lived, especially after all the add-ons and work I've done to this thing. I'll give it one more go, something like this happens again for no reason and she may be gone; back to Can-Am or gosh forbid a dang Yamaha...... Errrrr, Yamaha people 馃槙
Haven't even reached 250 miles on her yet. She was 100% broke in by-the-book! Made me sick to see that boot strap dangling and boot detached.

Registered
Sorry you had the boot issue. My guess you snagged some thing along the way. I have had my 2020 G4 XP over 4500 miles and not one issue that deserves a comment. CV Joints are tough, clean up the Joint pack well with the grease that comes with the kit and ride! :)

Registered
Are you kidding dude. You have one minor issue and you act like Polaris is a cheap Chinese Kimco company. I had two Commanders before the General and had nothing but problems with them. Who designs a clutch that the inner and outer sheaves rotate at different speeds. I have 19,000 miles on my 17 G2 and the only issue I had was in the electrical harness at around 14,000 miles. You get no sympathy from me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starky, I'm dam glad to hear that, a bit of a knee jerk reaction, I'll admit. I just had flash backs of my old Polaris ATV's days; my old Polaris ATV's were a bit like having an old F4 fighter jet, every 6 hours of riding required 8 hours of maintenance; I did ride a bit harder back then..... well a lot harder. But I worked on them constantly, something was always falling off or falling apart or ??? I did see one thing in my research that was a pleasant surprise. Moose and a few others are now making aftermarket parts for these things, a whole rear CV axle fully assembled under $70 bucks; I'm not used to seeing that, the OEM is only around $200. Not sure of the quality but at least there are now options.
I did do some modifying of my rear CV boot guards, I made them less "guarding" I do not think this happened but it is possible they got a rock or stick or ??? splashed up in them and it couldn't get out, maybe causing the boot clamp to some how kick off???
I've seen too many ruined riding weekends due to a tore CV boot, in many cases you only have hours after crap gets in them before total failure; the mud, sand, small rock/pebbles where we ride are very unforgiving; I always put guards on front and back. gen1.jpg gen2.jpg gen3.jpg
gen5.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts