Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Can you show us a pic of the seal you pulled out. And perhaps the one you went back with?

Other pics show the seal has a flange on it and fits into a groove in the cases. That correct?

Did you have to split the cases?

Interested for the future...and hoping not to have to replace one...

Thanks much!

Pirate

·
Registered
208 Posts
Can you show us a pic of the seal you pulled out. And perhaps the one you went back with?

Other pics show the seal has a flange on it and fits into a groove in the cases. That correct?

Did you have to split the cases?

Interested for the future...and hoping not to have to replace one...

Thanks much!

Pirate
He states seal did not have a flange on it and I'm not sure how that would work. Hoping to see the picture to.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you use the oem seal with the lip, you will have to split the cases, no other way to do it, BUT if you linish the lip off the seal it would look like a normal seal that's used everywhere OR you can take the oem seal to a bearing house & get them to match a normal seal without the lip & fit it as you would a normal seal, I use Loctite 515 Flange sealant on the outside rim of the seal to give a bit more sealing to compensate for any scratch's in the case(MUST be oil free). The biggest trick is digging the lipped seal out of the case without scratching the crap out of the case seal surface or the shaft surface(bad), if you stuff the shaft you can get an oil weep from the scratch. Mojomudmonkey dug his out, he might be able to tell you the difficulty involved.(hope this makes sense)

·
Registered
194 Posts
A couple of thoughts on why it leaked it the first place.
Bad seal, it happens.
Incorrect fitting or damaged case, should have leaked from new.
Engine oil level too high, even a little over can cause a drama.
Blocked or kinked breather hose(my favorite) with pistons pumping up & down at a great rate of knots they create a LOT of pressure that the breather hose has to let out, if it's pumping more than the hose diameter can contend with the pressure works on the weakest links, seals & case sealing surfaces.
Sorry for the extra blab, coffee's working well this morning.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Looks like the outside of the flange on the case has some nicks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe there was a redesigned crankshaft seal for the 2020s. this is the seal I removed from my crank shaft (behind my clutch primary). There is no flange, other than the rolled area toward the "ID". Just wanted to post the picks for others. Took maybe 3 mins to pull out.

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts