Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I'm brand new to the forum. I have been looking at the G2s for some time and may pull the trigger on one soon. I've been to a few dealers but haven't gotten down to talking price just yet.

I was talking to a salesperson at one of these dealers and he told me some people drive to dealers several hours away because they are getting several thousands off the sale price. The kicker is that those dealers "trick" these customers into signing a contract where they can only get the SxS serviced at the dealership they bought it from. I assume he meant warranty work or something like that, because I don't see how they could hold someone to oil changes or other maintenance.

Has anyone heard of this or run into it? When I do go to buy a G2, I'm willing to travel for a good price. I just don't want to fall into something like what this guy described. I understand some salespeople will say anything for a sale, but this guy seemed pretty legit.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
2020XP4
809 Posts
I have never heard of a "contract". Guy at work was going to go to Abernathy's and buy a Rzr at a big discount. In his talking and negotiating with the local dealer, they said they would honor the warranty no problem. However they flat out told him he would go to the end of the line for service because he didn't buy from them. They made him a good deal and really discounted the accessories with free installation. He bought local.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Sounds fishy to me but as far as warranty work and buying at a different dealer, Polaris dealers have to honor the warranty but it doesn't mean he is going to bend over backwards to get your machine in to work on it "if" you didn't buy it from him. Have run into this ourselves.
We try to buy local but when you are talking a grand or better that adds up especially when buying accessories too.
We get free accessory installs where we buy plus a % off on the accessories. This can add up too especially if you are adding a Polaris heater to the mix.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Has anyone heard of this or run into it? When I do go to buy a G2, I'm willing to travel for a good price. I just don't want to fall into something like what this guy described. I understand some salespeople will say anything for a sale, but this guy seemed pretty legit.
Nope. Even as I was signing the paperwork we talked about that I was probably never going to bring it in for service. Saved $3K or so.

Funny thing is, I have driven it the 2.5 hours for service three times. First time was for the first service since my local dealer said they never found anything wrong with the valve clearances so they stopping inspecting them and the last 2 times for extended warranty work. It was easier to drive it there than try to get a claim covered at my local dealer who sells a different brand warranty. So far the drive has paid off: $4,100 in covered repairs vs the $1,300 or so I paid for it.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
At the rate these machines have been selling in the Pandemic days...the idea of getting $100 off sticker is about zip.

If you like the machine and you like the dealer...buy it. If you don't...someone else will and probably within a day.

Pirate

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
From what I hear, its hard to even find a machine that you want. It'll more than likely need to be ordered and I agree with Pirate, they don't need to give discounts to sell. Find what your looking for and jump on it, and let the good times roll!

·
Registered
62 Posts
At the rate these machines have been selling in the Pandemic days...the idea of getting $100 off sticker is about zip.

If you like the machine and you like the dealer...buy it. If you don't...someone else will and probably within a day.

Pirate
Thats what my local dealer told me was going to goto Abernathy. Decided to call a dealer 40 miles away they dropped 1000 on the spot. Never done business with them before. My local guy this would have been 4th machine I wasn't impressed. As far as service goes ill be bumped. I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Pirate
Pirate is completely right. Dealers in my area are selling Generals at MSRP with no discounts. They have none in stock and all need to be ordered with a 3 month wait being typical. On top of that, the most popular Polaris accessories are usually on backorder, delaying delivery. My dealer has two machines he can't deliver because the accessories aren't available with no availability date promised. - Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
So far my local dealer has been beating Abernathy’s price might be worth looking into for anyone in the market. They were $1000 less when I bought my G4xp. Sappington Pro Outdoor. Cape Girardeau,Mo

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
To follow up...one reason there are no machines, no accessories...and no RVs available is the COVID-19 pandemic. All those folks that usually travel internationally for vacation or in retirement were stuck here in the good 'ol USA this year. So what did lots of them do? Buy and RV and a UTV.
This Fall we were on the Alpine Loop...crowded as heck! Lots of folks who had not a clue what they were doing, where they were going and even how to set up their RV.

Figure in two years there will be lots of barely used machines on the market.

Pirate

·
Registered
899 Posts
Figure in two years there will be lots of barely used machines on the market.
And a bunch of used $80-100K toy haulers that were used twice.

I will be ready that's for sure. :)

Reactions: Snapshot2019

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I know dealers are having a hard time getting and keeping inventory, so they don't need to do any sort of discounts. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I finally pick one up.

I agree with the opinion that there will be alot of "toys" for sale in the next few years. I debate holding out to see what happens, but I'm not very good at being patient.

Thanks again,
Sean

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Good luck in your search and wish you well.
Buddies that own ATV and camper dealership back home said they are wondering how many of the machines and campers they are going to have to repo in a year or two, as people were buying them that they know couldn't or wouldn't be able to pay for them completely.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Buddies that own ATV and camper dealership back home said they are wondering how many of the machines and campers they are going to have to repo in a year or two, as people were buying them that they know couldn't or wouldn't be able to pay for them completely.
I remember seeing a sign outside a dealership back when the first stimulus checks went out saying "We know you have $1200 to put down."

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Waallll...I think you'll be able to get a **** of a deal on Toyhaulers in two years!!

I had a 2014 Voltage 3800, 14 ft garage. I did loads of upgrades to make it what I wanted. Used it three times a year. (sadly). Then wife, er BOSS, decided a motorhome would be a whole lot
more useful, easier to set up, and she's interested in more travel! Sign me up!!

Paid about $90K. Took great care of it, lots of upgrades as noted, and sold it in October for $40K. Hopefully all these new owners will take good care of their Toyhaulers and look at it as I do,
it's sunk money...so getting what I can and what it will sell for quickly...that's the way it goes.

Time will tell!!
Pirate

·
Registered
750 Posts
..Figure in two years there will be lots of barely used machines on the market.

Pirate
At the risk of getting overly political...I think it's going to happen much sooner.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Cheeto,
If you mean getting everyone vaccinated so we can move about...that's good.

If it's our republic collapsing...that's not a good thing. Just hoping we can come together and work together to get our great country back on track to success!!

Pirate

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
22 Posts
Keep shopping, deals are out there.

I'm upfront whenever I buy something. I went to several dealers and told them that I am buying a General and whoever gives me the combination of best price and accessory discount will get my business. Some dealers acted upset that I would price shop, others were fine with it. I ended up ordering from a dealer 1.5 hours away. They gave me $2k off the MSRP and 10% discount on accessories for five years on a 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with Ride Command.

Now the bad news. Our General has been sitting at the dealership for over a week now and they still don't have it ready. I am installing the accessories myself, so there are none for them to install. After I ordered it, I wrote them a check for the full amount. (machine plus accessories) I don't think that they have any incentive to get it ready. Of course, we had a couple 50 degree days last week and on one of those days I had the afternoon off and had planned to pick up our General. Now we have a blizzard. I'm not very happy with them.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Congrats on your new General Splitt.
Try and relax but i know what you are saying. Could be they have people out of sick and dealers are flooded with repairs and servicing.
Did you talk with your dealer and ask how long before you can pick it up?
Hopefully they will get it checked over soon and you can pick it up.
Enjoy and it will all be worth it.

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
22 Posts
It's a fairly small dealership. I don't think that there are very many people that work there. I'm not sure of their shop workload.

The guy that owns the place is a nice enough guy. But every time that I have spoken with him he says "we should have it ready in a couple of days". It wouldn't be as big of an issue if he would have told me that they were busy, and it won't be ready for two or three weeks. I'm just looking for them to be honest with me instead of blowing smoke up my rear.

There has also been a couple of other things that have left me less than comfortable with them, but I don't wish to hijack this thread with my problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts