Polaris General Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,214 Posts
My '22 did this last weekend. Temps in the 40's at about 9,000ft elevation. After two cranking cycles with no start I was getting worried. On the third attempt I gave it fuel until it started.

Ran fine once started. Hope this isn't an all the time thing. I bought this machine to guide hunters this fall in the mountains of Wyoming. It is going to get much colder than last weekend and I need it to be reliable.

Maybe they have a block heater that can be put on this thing? Might work where I have access to power but I'd still be screwed in general.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
What fuel did you have in it? 87? 91? 93?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 XP4 TE
489 Posts
88 non ethanol is what I've always ran in my toys and equipment. It is also what we keep on hand at the ranch.

That's really weird. I know cold starting can be rough with premium but 88 straight shouldn't do it.
I have many cold starts in the single digits on hunts and its never had a hiccup.
I always let the fuel pump prime but I highly doubt that does anything

·
Registered
430 Posts
A fellow guide tells me that his Ranger had this issue. Whoever fixed it for him identified the problem as being the neoprene fuel rail seals. Something about the cold making them shrink and the rail struggling with making pressure.

I've found that if you crank the machine for a few seconds, cycle the key off then cycle back on it will usually start.

If I don't do this I could crank the thing until the battery was dead and it would never start. Something about cycling the key off and back on.

I have to find a dealer that is willing to make the repair or make a diagnosis. Nights here are in the 40's now and only going to get colder.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,875 Posts
Having this very experience...it's time to have the top end done. Mine was worn valve guides to the point the valves would move back and forth a lot. A leak down test will probably tell you the cylinders are not holding pressure and it's leaking past the valves as they are no longer seating correctly.
Once I got it started, might take 10 times to get it started. Then all day, start on the first try.

My thoughts are that in the 10 times it took to start...each firing the cylinder put a little heat in the aluminum cylinder head.
Finally enough to start expanding the aluminum head, it then squeezes on the valve guides, the valves seat, compression builds up and it starts. After that the cylinder head has enough heat in it to keep the valves seating.
Then it cools down that night, and you start the cycle all over again in the morning.

I have a post on here of my top end work and a video of the sloppy valve guides.
Pirate

·
Registered
430 Posts
I sure hope it isn't time for a valve job on this thing at 600 miles. The local dealer is insisting it's the fuel type.

Of the 6 or 7 UTV's here in camp, mine is the only one having the issue. We all get our fuel from the same source.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I sure hope it isn't time for a valve job on this thing at 600 miles. The local dealer is insisting it's the fuel type.

Of the 6 or 7 UTV's here in camp, mine is the only one having the issue. We all get our fuel from the same source.

Have you done anything to check fuel rail pressure. Maybe not enough pressure to fire the injectors?

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,875 Posts
One thing to try. See if you can find a station already selling Winterized gasoline. I understand it has a bit of butane in it.
I was advised to give it a try. It worked, fired up on the first try. But was a fix for long.
Pirate

·
Registered
367 Posts
My rig runs just fine on this Mexican gas imported from Long Beach Cal-law-form-a.
I had starting issues about three years ago and turned out to be the Polaris fuel pump. I replaced it with a Quantum fuel pump and I’ve not had an issue starting the rig since.

I run Sea Foam as well, seems to keep things running good.

Cheers Baja Charlie
How's that Quantum fuel pump working out? Did it make any difference in performance? I have a new Quantum in my box that a carry with me just in case. As far as the high altitude cold weather hard starting, does fuel change at altitude such as density etc. that would make for hard starting?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
As far as the high altitude cold weather hard starting, does fuel change at altitude such as density etc. that would make for hard starting?
I believe the higher octane is harder to burn. Thus makes it even harder to start/burn when it's cold. I can definitely tell in the fall when it gets around 40* that I need to start blending 87 with the 91 I normally run. It makes a huge difference in starting ease and the machine will stay running with a blend of 87/91 on initial start up. If I don't blend it starts hard and will sometimes stall out a few times until it gets warmed up some...

I'll add this, I ONLY run 91 because I hate ethanol. IMO that stuff is complete garbage. I know 91 doesn't add any performance, actually it probably hurts a stock general some. But I'll take that VS ethanol. When I blend fuel in the winter I typically do 6-7 gal 91 and 2 ISH gal 87. Seems to work well for me...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts