Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 General. It takes about 5 or 6 times to turn over enough to stay idling. It only does it in the mornings when the temp is below 40 or so. After that it fires right up every time. Any thoughts as to why?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is your battery good and charged? I’ve heard of people having to change the battery maybe before they were expecting.

Ours sits outside under a soft cover . If I’m not riding it enough in the winter I plug in a three stage charger for the weekend. Never a problem last winter even in -25F mornings. I was surprised and a little bit impressed. Our pickup started harder in that weather.

Another tip was to fill up with winter gas (with most of the summer gas consumed). See Pirates post in link below. Also I use Stabil or Seafoam every time I add gas. Gas could be in our tank for 3-6 months during the winter.

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General Premium
34 Posts
I have a 2019 General. It takes about 5 or 6 times to turn over enough to stay idling. It only does it in the mornings when the temp is below 40 or so. After that it fires right up every time. Any thoughts as to why?
Wouldn't be temp related I wouldn't think I have a 2019 as well and its been -15-25 Celsius at my place recently and mine fires up no problem, let it idle to warm up but it doesn't have an issue turning over and firing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My 2017 has done that since it was new. At sea level where I live it starts up fine but when I go hunting at 5000+ feet it will take a few times before it will idle. New battery with a night switch so it turns over fine but will not start the first 3 or 4 times. I turn the key on for a few seconds before I try to start it but doesn't seem to make a difference. Only does this at high altitude.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2017 has done that since it was new. At sea level where I live it starts up fine but when I go hunting at 5000+ feet it will take a few times before it will idle. New battery with a night switch so it turns over fine but will not start the first 3 or 4 times. I turn the key on for a few seconds before I try to start it but doesn't seem to make a difference. Only does this at high altitude.
I’m at 8000 ft only tim it gave me starting problems was when I first go it
when irunn that tank of gas out and refilled with new regular gas I’ve never had. A problem regardless of the temperature
have 8000 miles onit
2017 G2

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I have the danged problem off and on. I've gotten a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner and cleaned up the sensor. Carry a spare...but doesn't help this year.

Last Fall Terry Gilomen told me to look for "winterized" fuel. Did that and problem disappeared.

This Fall, lows in the upper 40's, lower 50's...and it's up to 10 efforts to get the engine to start and stay running. I finally gave up. Each morning I tip the bed up, open the air cleaner box and
give 'er a shot of starting fluid and off we go.

Found the fitting to allow me to use the "fuel pump test kit" I built for the RZR800 and I will test and then post results. I'm wondering if it might indicate a failing fuel pump.

Pirate

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might want to double-check all of the battery connections and frame ground to make sure that they're not loose.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Mine cranks like crazy...just won't catch and run. But I'll check them.

Thanks for the tip,

Pirate

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Ride Command and it has been cold blooded since day one. I only use 88 octane gas without ethonyl. I partially press accelerator pedal before I turn it over and hold it until it starts. If General turns over more than 8-10 seconds you have to turn key off and do it again. Bike starts almost everytime this way without issue and multiple tries.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just reading this, this is crazy! Fuel injection, computer controlled fuel / air mixing and electric fuel pumps should have solved all this. My 2006 outlander 800 can set for 10 months between plowing snow in an unheated barn and still fires right up; it's fuel injected, fuel tank below the engine just like our Generals. Now, this sounds very much like when I was having an issue with my 550hp 03 cobra mustang starving for fuel, I ended up installing two high flow fuel pumps to fix that issue, but my issue was caused by adding 8 more-lb of boost to the super charger and only happened under full throttle.
Short story even shorter, this really sounds like two posibilites to me.
1) fuel pressure is leaking out somewhere while it's setting (Pirate the MAF being dirty is a good guess, but you've eliminated that and with the shot of starting fluid says there is not enough fuel pressure at the injectors at start up) Now in cars this can be caused by a leaking fuel injector, check valve in the fuel pump, or not enough air getting into the tank (fuel out air in the empty space but this usually does not happen right away, generally after a little time of riding). I'm just guessing if someone hooks up a fuel pressure gauge to one that is having the problem and you let it set you will see the pressure fall off to nothing; and if you hook that same gauge up to one that is not having the issue the pressure will drop a little but NEVER down to nothing. Those who do not have this problem when warm keep in mind fuel expands just like (most) everything else when warm which would help, cost contracting fuel would cause the problem to be worse. Same with high octane fuel, the higher the octane the harder it is to ignite, low octane fuel burns quicker and with less effort, so high octane fuel would make the problem worse.

2) fuel pump is flaky, bleeding off somewhere ??? not holding pressure as quickly as it should??

Do any of you have issues once warmed up? Maybe under full throttle??

3rd) for the computer to properly call for fuel it measures air pressure and temp going in (MAF) and air on the other side coming out, with autos in the exhaust manifold or close to it the O2 sensor..... I'm assuming they have an o2 sensor or something like.

Sorry to be so wordy fellows, just typing and thinking. Again a fuel pressure test: 1 before startup, 2) after turning the key on but not engaging starter it should jump to "running" pressure and hold it for a good while (I think, it does on autos). 3rd) love to see those results compared to someone not having the problem.

I do have a fuel pressure gauge and several adaptors if Polaris uses an automotive type adaptor somewhere in the system. I'd have to do some research.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same problem with my '17. I cleaned the MAF sensor on Pirate's advice and thought it helped but like his it's intermittent. It will start and die, If I keep doing that and keep pumping on the throttle it finally starts. PIA..........

·
Registered
183 Posts
littleboss, do you ever have this issue with your RZR?
No problems with the XP Turbo or the Ranger. I will say that the General stays in Colorado and in an unheated barn so cold weather may be a factor. I have only had the XPT in CO once and that was 4 years ago so I don't remember if I had any issues or not.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Still interesting, computer controlled, fuel injected engines shouldn't care about the weather or how long they sit. Other than the computer eventually draining the battery, but that's another subject and fixable with a manual shut-off for long periods of storage,,,, Just have to reset all those darn radio presets ;-)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I've still got my "Fuel Pump Test Kit" from my RZR 800, and I've found an adapter on Amazon that will allow me to connect to the sort of tire valve (if you will) at the end of the fuel rail. It's now part of'
my test kit.

In the next day or so I intend to connect it to the fuel rail. Check for pressure now, its been sitting since Sept 20th. Check the pressure after the key is turned to "ON" and the pump brings the fuel rail up to pressure. Start the engine and and check the pressure with the engine idling. Then have Mama tap the gas and see what the pressure does.

I'll be posting my results as soon as the test series is complete.

Pirate

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had this same issue on our 2018 G2 RC. I finally figured out that every time it would start hard, moisture and cold weather was an issue. It ended up being the relays. Polaris relays were known for moisture getting in them. I replaced the chassis ground and efi relays and never had a problem again. Next time it won't start pull those relays and warm them in your hands for a bit. Then put them back and see what happens. Just my experience...hope that helps!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Polaris General Hunter Edition 1000 EPS has the same problem. I live in east Texas and usually takes two engagements to get her started at home. When hunting in Utah or Idaho at altitudes between 4,000 to 10,000 feet it takes 3 sometimes 5 engagements to get it started. Brand new battery --- all connections tight. A new air filter. Running fresh 87 to 91 Octane non-ethanol gas with Sea-Foam. Doesn't matter if the temp is 40 degrees or minus 2; I know it will take 4 or 5 engagements to get her started. After that, no problem until the next morning. I'm so new at Polaris ownership, my gut tells me its related to altitude and/or cold weather.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts