Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed dirty dawg performance and ask them if they made a clutch kit yet for the general and he said yes we do. Yes we do. The kit will come with a custom billet helix and spring for the secondary clutch. It will also come with a spring and adjustable weights for the primary clutch. The Kit is 429.00.
Y
Dale Hilton
Dirty Dawg Performance
763-228-4345
www.dirtydawgperformance.com

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 7:04 AM, rocky <[email protected]> wrote:
Do you make a clutch kit for the Polaris general 1000.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had replaced my secondary clutch and primary helix with a kit from Hunterworks.com on my 2014 Ranger XP-900. Made a world of difference on that machine. Still the General has much better "engine braking". Sometimes maybe too much. I still have not figured out the best way to descend a hill. In High I can usually just let it go and brake occasionally, but sometimes too fast. If I give it any gas to descend the hill, then it seems to cycle, lunging forward, then holding back a lot, then forward again, etc. Low holds back tremendously, and you don't need gas or brake, but if it's step and muddy, the rear fishtails a little.

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
152 Posts
How hard are these kits to install? I've put on plenty of belts on different machines but never changed any clutch hard parts.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not very hard at all. You can change the clutch weights without pulling the primary clutch off and for the secondary u just take the center bolt out and it will pull off then u need a spring compressor tool u can make one or buy one and u take the helix off and change it and the spring. That's what was involved in the rzr 900 anyway I'm sure the general is very similar.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The kit will change the rpm your clutch adjusts itself at. Basically it tunes the horsepower curve of the engine to the style of driving you want to do by adjusting how fast the clutch haves move together. For guys that deal with mud and or oversized tires or just want more low end or top end power d pending on your needs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed the dirty dawg performance clutch kit yesterday and it really woke the general up. It has more throttle response and just feels more powerful. When u are rolling down the road and let off the throttle then get back on it it instantly picks up and goes. I still have engine braking also. The top speed didn't change either. I give it an A+

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the dirty dawg performance clutch kit yesterday and it really woke the general up. It has more throttle response and just feels more powerful. When u are rolling down the road and let off the throttle then get back on it it instantly picks up and goes. I still have engine braking also. The top speed didn't change either. I give it an A+
Good to know! I'm going to visit the guys at 3P in Houston next week. Around here everyone says they design the best clutches. They dyno tune the bike with the clutches installed as well.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had two ddp clutches in a rzr 900 and the general and they both made change in power and throttle response u could feel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just installed the high altitude clutch weights in my General 4 , 2 reasons I always ride above 4500 and installed 30" tires. works much better .
Dealer told me they didn't exist , but clearly the shop manual shows them and I bought and installed them :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts