Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Polaris general
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2016 general with around 5000 miles and I have a whine/whistle from my clutches when in park or neutral. When you put it in gear the noise goes away. When it's running it is hard to put into gear but easy to put into gear when it's off. Also sometimes if you are completely stopped and in gear it will start to creep a little too. Idle is around 1200. This all started last week when I blew a belt on the trail than after I replaced it is when all of this started happening.
I was thinking It could possibly be clutch alignment or bad clutch bearing? I also have another spare belt on the way and I am going to see if putting that on makes any difference.
Any recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I’d really check the clutches to see if you have a piece of the belt fiber stuck in them. Also you need to check the clutch sheeves for scuffing or small grooves in the sheeves. If you have them then it’s time for new clutches or it may be possible to use a scotch pad (sorry don’t remember which pad, Pirate knows, maybe he’ll chime in) and work out the small grooves with the scotch pads. I’d really make a good investigation into any remnants of the old belt that maybe wrapped around something.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your investigation

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Could be a fiber in the clutches or the one way bearing going bad.

Reactions: PolarisGeneralHelp

·
Registered
2016 Polaris general
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, thanks for the responses. I will be pulling both clutches to clean and check them than will keep you updated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Have you taken the pucks off the secondary and put in HunterWorks rollers yet?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yes the pucks can wear on the clutch especially if Dusty or dirt in clutch housing.
The rollers really help and blowing out your clutches help also. Blowing them out should be part of your maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
You didn't mention the brand of belt that you ordered for a spare. You should be running a Hunterworks belt. All other belts should be saved for spares - and never installed. My General started shuddering whenever starting to move forward. I installed the Hunter rollers and a Hunter belt, and that's all it took to make it like new again. Now, if Hunter could remove the scratches from the sides and the windshield - - -

·
Registered
2016 Polaris general
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didn't mention the brand of belt that you ordered for a spare. You should be running a Hunterworks belt. All other belts should be saved for spares - and never installed. My General started shuddering whenever starting to move forward. I installed the Hunter rollers and a Hunter belt, and that's all it took to make it like new again. Now, if Hunter could remove the scratches from the sides and the windshield - - -
For a spare I just ordered a cheep Gates G force belt, I have always just bought cheep ebay belts since I never wanted to spend that much on a belt and never had issues with them but I just got this general and now that I'm having issues with it I'm wondering if I was just lucky. On my old 800s I only ran ebay belts with no issues and only every had one blow, but also can blow like 4 before it pays for one nice one lol. The one that I bought from the dealership when the other one blew was a ultimax 1142-0747 BELT UXP. That was the only belt they had in stock around there and was $180 but didn't have much of a choice if I wanted to keep riding for the weekend. Is it worth buying another expensive belt? Reminder I'm still only in high school so don't want to drop insane amounts of money if possible lol

Also if anyone knows if a belt from a 2013 800s would fit a 2016 general let me know, I have 2 800s I have parted out and have a bunch of belts from them still and was wondering if they would work as a backup also.

·
Registered
2016 Polaris general
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I pulled the clutches, blew them out and when I tried to spin the needle bearing between the sheaves I could barely get it to move. I tried blowing it out some more and it got a little better but still not great. Also if you try to move the bearing side to side you can move the whole outside part of the bearing enough you can see the inner bearing rollers. Is it supposed to do that? I know there are different opinions on greasing the needle bearing but wondering if that might help at all. The bearing is probably junk but want to at least try to make it useable if possible since I don't have all the tools for a clutch rebuild and looking at prices for all the tools+parts doesn't look cheep lol.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Your clutch should have the one way bearing in it. It will turn one way but not the other. Those bearings can and do go bad.
Replace it don't grease it, or you will have a big mess.

·
Registered
2016 Polaris general
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your clutch should have the one way bearing in it. It will turn one way but not the other. Those bearings can and do go bad.
Replace it don't grease it, or you will have a big mess.
Yes it doesn't move at all the one way like it should but barley moves the correct way. Is there any places to rent the tools or a cheep place to buy all the tools?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Can't say on renting.
For buying just do a search and check prices that way.

·
Premium Member
2018 G4 Ride Command. Black Pearl. 30 inch Maxxis Rampage. Front tender springs, XL Fenders
66 Posts
You need a new clutch. Gillomen Innovations can help you out. I have purchased all the tools and completed the bearing replacement. Its a two man job and a bad ass vice.
Just my 2 cents.
Buy a Gilloment clutch.

·
Registered
2016 Polaris general
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need a new clutch. Gillomen Innovations can help you out. I have purchased all the tools and completed the bearing replacement. Its a two man job and a bad ass vice.
Just my 2 cents.
Buy a Gilloment clutch.
I decided I am just going to buy all the tools and rebuild it all. I figured this won't be the only time I need to take a primary apart so might as well have the tools to do it when I need to do it for something else. Thanks again for all the help and responses!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts