Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
Yup, get one of the Hunterworks tools. The last thing you need when working inside the CVT is cheap tools!!!
Pirate

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Don't forget to get a flexible clutch cover removal tool.
Different makes and models and prices of course.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Papermaker, you know, the Hunterworks alignment tool looks really good. I bought the SDI alignment tool set.
Rectangle Font Musical instrument accessory Gadget Brand

I was surprised to get on of the bars all the way to the engine/transmission and able to turn the shafts fairly easily.
But trying to get the second bar on...there was 1/8" or so out of alignment to get the bar on. So back to using clamps to get the two aligned.
Took a number of tries to get the first bar all the way on and have the second bar slip onto the shafts and the transmission shaft turn freely.

Saying nothing bad about the Hunterworks alignment tool. Just wondering if things are truly aligned like mine.
The HW bar is 3/4" thick. The SDI bars are both 1 1/4" thick. Perhaps part of the difference.

Just what I've done to get the two aligned as perfect as possible.

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,303 Posts
Papermaker, you know, the Hunterworks alignment tool looks really good. I bought the SDI alignment tool set.
View attachment 78084
I was surprised to get on of the bars all the way to the engine/transmission and able to turn the shafts fairly easily.
But trying to get the second bar on...there was 1/8" or so out of alignment to get the bar on. So back to using clamps to get the two aligned.
Took a number of tries to get the first bar all the way on and have the second bar slip onto the shafts and the transmission shaft turn freely.

Saying nothing bad about the Hunterworks alignment tool. Just wondering if things are truly aligned like mine.
The HW bar is 3/4" thick. The SDI bars are both 1 1/4" thick. Perhaps part of the difference.

Just what I've done to get the two aligned as perfect as possible.

Pirate
how does this one check the offset?

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
SDI has a great video on their website for using their tool set.
The basics, you thread the crankshaft sleeve over the crank. You thread the transmission sleeve over the shaft.
You wiggle the trans around until the inner bar slips over the two sleeves with little effort all the way onto the shafts.
You then slip the outer bar over the two sleeves until it is flush with the end of the shafts.
The transmission shaft should turn freely. Not spin, but turn without hanging up. If it won't turn. Further alignment work is needed.
Then snug up the engine to trans connecting bolts. Remove the SDI tool set

I then use a 12" steel rule and place it against, I'll be danged if I can find the pics, but I recall I can put it across the secondary clutch outer sheave
and then look at the primary clutch outer sheave. If they are parallel, then the offset is zero. Work to achieve that zero offset.

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,303 Posts
I watched the video…..seems like a good set up as well. HW is a little quicker, but off set is easily seen by where the tool sits on the secondary output shaft. Basically the same outcome tho, aligned clutches😎, which to me is the starting point before doing anything else……

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone used one of the cheaper priced clutch puller like off of eBay or Amazon? I need to buy one and looking for suggestions...
Hunterworks like many have said. I bought a cheap one off Amazon and worked a whole weekend trying to get my clutch off and never did. Tried every Youtube trick I could find and it still didn't work. Bought the HW puller and had it off in 30 seconds. Just my experience

1 - 17 of 17 Posts