Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately about 70% of my time behind my General's wheels is done mowing my property or plowing snow.. I just installed 30 inch terabytes or "29.5" as iv read from those who have measured. I am ECU tuned and do not really need more power, however from the bottom end to about 6mph I notice a difference with the new tires. Its not a struggle but it feels as if it is working a bit harder, especially mowing up my hill. So question is... What is the cheapest option to get some more low end bite on that belt? Spring kit or a full on clutch kit with weights and such?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to maintain speed go with a clutch kit, if you need more bottom end go with gear reduction.

I emailed Todd and he was very honest which I very much respect. Said I would be fine with stock setup. Guessing since I told him I was running between 3-5k rpms that tells him I’m gripping the clutch well enough. We shall see. Just looking to not take a hit to longevity of the motor or unit as a whole.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Or learn to drive, your driving style and the terrain should determine if you need to improve your clutches

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
647 Posts
Chef, I mow with mine a lot too. I never had any issues with the stock clutch and belt. I mow some very hilly and swampy areas. This year I switch to the Duraclutch (thanks Pirate (dude costs me so much money)). I love the Duraclutch. I cruise at about 6-7mph running almost 3000rpm. I know the belt is in constant engagement and the primary clutch is fully engaged at around 1700. It's smooth smooth smooth. I know it's a chunk of cash, but I feel it is one of the best improvements I could have made.

What do you mow with? I use a 5' 15hp flail mower. It weighs about 500lbs. Does a terrific job with no bogging unless it's really tall dense weeds. I can offset it to the drivers side so it sticks out about 2 foot and keeps me from getting whacked with low branches.
IMG_20200529_123821899.jpg

General mower and field I cut on Monday.

That's my Mastiff laying on her trampoline photo bombing me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chef, I mow with mine a lot too. I never had any issues with the stock clutch and belt. I mow some very hilly and swampy areas. This year I switch to the Duraclutch (thanks Pirate (dude costs me so much money)). I love the Duraclutch. I cruise at about 6-7mph running almost 3000rpm. I know the belt is in constant engagement and the primary clutch is fully engaged at around 1700. It's smooth smooth smooth. I know it's a chunk of cash, but I feel it is one of the best improvements I could have made.

What do you mow with? I use a 5' 15hp flail mower. It weighs about 500lbs. Does a terrific job with no bogging unless it's really tall dense weeds. I can offset it to the drivers side so it sticks out about 2 foot and keeps me from getting whacked with low branches. View attachment 65582
General mower and field I cut on Monday.

That's my Mastiff laying on her trampoline photo bombing me.
Awesome man glad to hear! I’m actually pretty much sold on the duraclutch. As soon as my elkas and wheels are paid off I’ll get it. I was using a rinky dink swisher that my cat could pull but it finally got so beat up I bought a new one. Encore commercial 60in. Weighs around 550 I think? Like I said I haven’t slipped once since using it last week and belt temps didnt get much above ambient temp. I could just feel her working a good bit harder and started to think preemptively! What is the dura clutch like on the trails? I don’t do much wide open stuff but I do here and there. Iv read it’s not for smash and go, think pirate said that. Didn’t understand why that might be hard on it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's done fine on the trail for me so far. I don't do heavy mud riding. I'm in Eastern Ohio, so we ride wooded trails with lots of up and down. I don't drive it any differently than I did before. I think the biggest thing is the friction material in the clutch pack itself that takes the initial slip to get moving. Heavy mud and bogging probably wouldn't be good for it. Todd at Hunterworks has a video on YouTube about it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Did you even read my post? Learning how to drive has nothing to do with it.
Yes, I guarantee you BajaCharlie read your entire post, as I did, but a general is very much like a truck with manual transmission.
Where you can go, how you get there and how you get around once you get there is very important.
And it's mostly a function of "HOW YOU DRIVE". Learning your machine, how it reacts to different conditions will define whether
you need different clutching, different tires, different exhaust, different shock set-ups, you name it the list goes on for miles.

So as Todd and Charlie wrote...you may not need to do anything to your clutches. There is a great book.
"Olav Aaen's CLUTCH TUNING HANDBOOK" The book is great for developing knowledge of how a CVT system works and how each
component affects clutching. Look for it online.

So you probably don't need to do anything. If you're having problems getting moving with the mower attached, then perhaps heavier Primary clutch weights,
perhaps a lighter spring coefficient? There are so many variables.

So give us a break. We're all trying to give you good, quantifiable information to consider.

Pirate

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I guarantee you BajaCharlie read your entire post, as I did, but a general is very much like a truck with manual transmission.
Where you can go, how you get there and how you get around once you get there is very important.
And it's mostly a function of "HOW YOU DRIVE". Learning your machine, how it reacts to different conditions will define whether
you need different clutching, different tires, different exhaust, different shock set-ups, you name it the list goes on for miles.

So as Todd and Charlie wrote...you may not need to do anything to your clutches. There is a great book.
"Olav Aaen's CLUTCH TUNING HANDBOOK" The book is great for developing knowledge of how a CVT system works and how each
component affects clutching. Look for it online.

So you probably don't need to do anything. If you're having problems getting moving with the mower attached, then perhaps heavier Primary clutch weights,
perhaps a lighter spring coefficient? There are so many variables.

So give us a break. We're all trying to give you good, quantifiable information to consider.

Pirate
Fair enough.. using the phrase “learn how to drive” is pretty abrasive for no reason I felt. I am pulling a mower at 5mph, not a lot of skill involved there so I took the comment as if I was being told I was asking a dumb question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts