Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a clutch intake filter from Mountain Fit Hoods the other day. Looks to be a quality product that fit very well, has a nice foam seal and took me all of 2 minutes to install. Most of that time was spent looking for the right Torx bit to remove/install the stock plastic screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can see that the stock cover offers zero protection from water getting into there. I cleaned the inner area and I'll do a follow-up after I get some trips on it with the new filter screen in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Yes they do work very well I was surprised by how well it works checked it before I installed mine very cool!

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm I need to get out there and take another look inside the filter to check on its performance...but it's COLD out! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
408 Posts
What is made of. Something like Frogzskin?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Yup, its Outerwears material.

I bought one a few months ago...and they didn't have the foam "gasket" to seal it...it was pretty much worthless. But gave me back my money.

Interested in trying again. Does this one have the foam "gasket" on both sides?

Would be better with Frogzskin...as water simply runs off Frogzskin. But MountainFitHoods told me Frogzskin is a competitor, so they use Outerwears.

I'm much more concerned about keeping dust out of my CVT. Water I can deal with...take out the plug.

Thoughts?

Pirate

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pirate, it only has foam on the outside. When it is warmer I am going to attempt to fix that. However, it looks to me like this is the clutch exhaust, not intake, and I just didn't want a bunch of cruddy water blowing down the tube if I got into a bit of deeper water. I think that as Mountain Fit Hood is selling them now they should be good for that, but again just to be safe I will try to seal the inside too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Dingo,

Couple of things:

If you get down and look at the CVT cover back plate, you will see the cooling air exhaust tube. It has a metal screen over it, but nothing to keep water out.

If you look at the Owners Manual and/or Service Manual, the grille we're looking at is the "Secondary CVT cooling air inlet". And sure enough, it does suck air in. My MountainFitHood cover wasn't sealed at the back, and the plenum behind their screen was totally coated with fine dust and the CVT housing was full of dust.

I believe mine has the foam on the front too, but nothing on the back...and guess what...that's where the dust gets in. Remember fluid mechanics, fluids or gases, will take the "path of least resistance", so if there is air leakage behind their outerwear material....that's where most of the air will be drawn in. Like around the three tabs that go into the fender...they are wide open inside the fender well. Dusty air gets around the front foam and gets drawn in. I mounted their grille, went riding for a weekend, came home...CVT, hose and plenum all full of dust. Contated MountainFitHoods, they said they were going to add foam on the back to seal better, and I got my money back.

If they can't show that they've sealed up the secondary CVT cooling air inlet...its worthless.

JMHO,

Pirate

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Pirate, I will study the CVT ducting more this coming weekend. Regardless, you are correct with respect to air (the fluid) taking the path of least resistance. Will perhaps have to improve the seal now, rather than wait until it is warm!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pirate, I took a look today, and the cold must have seriously impacted my reasoning ability when I posted about this on 2 January. I took the filter back off today, and the foam gasket material is on the inside of the filter, so it does seal against the vent housing. Maybe the guys at Mountain Fit listened to you!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Dingo,

So then your vent housing, the rubber tube to the CVT housing...was all clean?

That would be cool! I will order another one!

Thanks for the response!!

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I have had one on for awhile now and took it off last weekend after riding because the factory screen was nasty and the mountain hood looked nasty so was going to clean it and looks like new under the filter so I am very pleased with it. :grin2:

Reactions: generaljls

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
So then you must have one of the new design. My first came with just the outerwears material on the frame. So dust got in behind the Outerwears and made the thing useless.

Have been kinda working on a framework of my own using Frogzskin. With the proprietary coatings, air passes through Frogzskin with no problem, but hold it under a faucet and the water just runs off!

MountainFitHoods rep told me Frogzskin was a competitor of theirs, so they don't use their material.

I currently have my original MountainFitHoods filter on, but I sealed all the way around the Polaris grille with electrical tape to try and keep dust out. Haven't pulled it yet. But did remove the CVT cover for another project...some dust in there. Not too terrible, but a lot more than what I want to see!!

Just wondering what will work the best to keep dust out of the CVT!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So then you must have one of the new design. My first came with just the outerwears material on the frame. So dust got in behind the Outerwears and made the thing useless.

Pirate
I clearly mentioned the foam seal and showed a picture of it in the first post here. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts