Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a concern, not sure if it is an issue or not? Something that is new, when costing downhill on a dirt road. I have noticed what seems like just the driver back tire locking up/skidding for a few feet then back to rolling. This will go on and off. If I hold a little gas on it doesn't happen.

I have about 3500 miles on primary. Secondary was replaced with a team tied when I put in the gillomen tune. I blow out the clutches all the time. no change.

Whats going on with it? or is it nothing?

Thanks in advance
Muzhunter

Reactions: Earnit3

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
What year General do you have? Most have a one way bearing in the factory Primary clutch. When you take your foot off the gas going down hill the speed of the machine becomes a function
of the engine RPM, called Engine Braking. If the One Way Bearing is starting to go...this might be what you are feeling. When it really starts to go the engine will die when you come to a stop. As
when the rear wheels stop...the secondary and then primary clutches stop...and that one way bearing causes the engine to stop.
Any signs of that beginning to show?
Pirate

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My G2 is a 2016. No signs of the engine dying yet.

I have never worked on a clutch before, only changed secondary. I know I will need a tool to remove it. Are they hard to dissemble replace worn parts and back together? At around the 2500 mile mark is it time to just replace?

Muz

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
No you shouldn't have to replace the primary at those low of miles, unless something went totally wrong.
The primary if taking it all apart to do the bearing will take big tools. Like a big foot poundage torque wrench, and big breaker bar and maybe a cheater bar for it, a torch to heat up the spider gear and lock nut, a certain kind of lock-tite when putting back together (forget the number right now). Plus the tools and special sockets to take it apart.
If you don't have them or don't want to invest in them, then best taking it off and take it to someone who knows clutches.
Make sure to clean it up good while apart and if it needs anything else or a clutch kit, now is the time to do it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Contact Todd at Hunterworks (he’s on here under vendors) he’s a great guy and the stuff he sold me is absolutely great (Dalton kit, RZR clutch and heavier clutch weights AND most importantly the RZR clutch has a two way bearing) he sells all the tools you’ll need and he also has the videos showing you how to do the job. Johnny7 is right about creative tool usage, the primary bolt is torqued 95 foot pounds so just prior to taking that bolt out drink four Red Bulls, watch a Pro Wrestling show and one on Superman.

Again contact Todd

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys, lost my internet, could remember login info for using my phone.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts