Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good products to clean up the scratches on the side of my machine? I have a matte navy blue if that matters. I don't mean deep scratches, more like trail rash, white lines that aren't gouged into the paint fully. I assume they can be buffed out a bit but I don't want to wreck the finish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had quite a few on my blue XP from the river bed and they looked horrible until I hand washed the machine and then they were much less noticeable, and even more so after I used Pledge on top of that. I do plan to try and polish them at some point, but I’m trying to teach myself to not be so anal with this machine. It has a different purpose than my pickup (so I’ve been told lol). After the hand wash and pledge you don’t really notice them unless you’re looking for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I never would have guessed that pledge would work and that it would be in the manual haha. I have used the SC1 "New Bike in a Can" with great results in the past but everything sticks to it after putting it on. Any specific kind of pledge you recommend?

·
Registered
27 Posts
One solution i used for a while, was to spray plasti-dip over areas that tend to get scratched alot.You can mask it off with tape and just spray where you want. If protects the surface really well. If later on you decide you dont lke it just peel it off or use a pressure washer to remove it. Just make sure to do at least three coats to make removable easier.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks! I never would have guessed that pledge would work and that it would be in the manual haha. I have used the SC1 "New Bike in a Can" with great results in the past but everything sticks to it after putting it on. Any specific kind of pledge you recommend?
Lemon
The bees like it best ......ha....
No I don’t know which ones works the best, I use plain ole Pledge from Costco
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
35 Posts
I having Xpel Paint Protection Film installed on the doors next week for $400. I just bought the machine six days ago and am installing all of the protection I can from the get go. Mine is the Matte Navy Blue as well. To wrap the entire machine would have been $1200. I thought that was steep so I'm just doing the doors since that was the problem area on my 2019 Black Pearl Ride Command General (I just sold it). The rest of the panels didn't have that many scratches if any at all but the doors had numerous scratches. $400 is still a little pricey but I will be glad when I go to sell this one in 3 to 5 years and I'm able to get as much as possible for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’m so glad our ‘17 came with low miles and a few scratches. Cheaper for us to buy and now our old scratches get new friends from the forest trails.

If it wasn’t scratched before I’d be looking at every one! I realize this isn’t very helpful to the OP. But I am going to try the Pledge furniture polish thing. If nothing else to keep the dust from sticking. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I having Xpel Paint Protection Film installed on the doors next week for $400. I just bought the machine six days ago and am installing all of the protection I can from the get go. Mine is the Matte Navy Blue as well. To wrap the entire machine would have been $1200. I thought that was steep so I'm just doing the doors since that was the problem area on my 2019 Black Pearl Ride Command General (I just sold it). The rest of the panels didn't have that many scratches if any at all but the doors had numerous scratches. $400 is still a little pricey but I will be glad when I go to sell this one in 3 to 5 years and I'm able to get as much as possible for it.

Thats honestly a good idea. It will for sure help with your resale value later on. I like the color to much on mine to put a wrap on it. I think you will be good just doing the doors. There is a lot of surface area there and they stick out more then the fenders. Takes the brunt of the rash it seems. Plus the fenders are partially covered with decals already.
I used some SC1 on mine yesterday and it covered up almost all of the scratches. At this point I am just happy knowing that I can get them out if I want to haha.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You guys worrying about scratches would go nuts if you were riding down here in the swamps/brush country of North Florida. Mine got scratched the first time I rode it and gets more scratches every time I ride it. I don't fret over scratches; I just want to keep the mechanical stuff in good shape!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Talk about scratches, The Mesquite thorn have no respect. I have been using Endust Lemon scent from the dollar store, cheap and works great. Pledge might be better and I'll have to put it on my Costco list. I have found that the dust does stick to it, but a quick rinse off, its clean again and ready for another application of furniture polish. As was mentioned above, the scratches kinda disappear and you just have to train yourself not to look for them.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do what i did, when I bought mine I had my wife pull it on the trailer and she hit the side of the trailer and then I stopped caring about scratches
The manual says furniture polish and now Corbo is undercutting my Pledge with his cheaper Endust..........ha! Just kidding, oh well........ back to my nap
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do what i did, when I bought mine I had my wife pull it on the trailer and she hit the side of the trailer and then I stopped caring about scratches
The manual says furniture polish and now Corbo is undercutting my Pledge with his cheaper Endust..........ha! Just kidding, oh well........ back to my nap
Cheers Baja Charlie
ROTFL

·
Registered
35 Posts
I won't have to worry about scratches on mine because they will be minimal with the protection film on the doors. Believe me, I ride hard on some tight trails in PA and WV but I also keep my machine clean. As far as maintenance, I go above and beyond. I may have this machine for many years. They're too **** expensive. My last machine (2019 General RC) looked like crap after one year. That being said, I do like BajaCharie's solution.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've used that SC1 stuff. Looks great........until you drive it. I use standard ole lemon pledge and it's much easier to work with than the SC1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts