Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my general (2017) a few weeks back and after a creek ride, my check engine light came on. It kind of put the machine in "limp mode" (I couldn't get it to go over 30 mph.) Took it back to the dealer and they said it was some sort of a drive shaft sensor (I could be wrong about exactly what it was but, the light didn't come back on after the repair) which they replaced. Today, the light came back on with the two codes listed in the title (65590 and 65592) which, after a bit of research, I found to be something with the spark plugs. Pulled them out and they look brand new. Blew out the chambers, plugs and boots and will ride it again tomorrow to test it before we head to Brimstone on Thursday. Any other ideas as to what these codes mean? Any tips would be appreciated. Also, if the check engine light comes on, if I turn the machine off then back on, the performance returns to normal. I will be calling the dealership Tuesday for help but wanted to ask here for a quicker response (my local dealer is closed Sundays and Mondays). One more bit of info, the creek ride referred to earlier was basically some splashing of water....no deep holes and nothing over the wheels.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,124 Posts
I think if memory serves me correct the codes you have is same codes a friend had in a rzr for cylinder misfire and his was due to belt slippage had a burn in the belt replaced his belt and all was good. something to check out. You doing slow ride or get some water in the belt housing?

Reactions: generaljls

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little bit of everything, Ronnie but nothing that extreme. I will pull the cover off the belt today and look inside. I see a lot of people in RZR forums saying they had belt issues with these same codes so, we will see...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to the dealer today. They said that the mid 2016's to the 2017's are throwing these codes when there is a hot spot or a flat spot on the belt. He told me that they will change the belt for me tomorrow and that should fix the problem (I'd do it myself but, I'm gonna let them provide the $180 belt!!). His explanation was that when the belt "slips" a tad it throws the machine a little out of sync and then the misfire codes are thrown and the machine goes into limp mode. They are going to check and see why (or if) there was a slipping problem and get me back up and running at 100%. Getting the belt changed tomorrow then it will be put to the test Thursday through Sunday at Brimstone in Eastern Tennessee! Can't wait. I'll update y'all on the results!

·
Super Moderator
4,124 Posts
Be sure to break the new belt in correctly it will last a long time!

Reactions: mwaller2009

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok....Need some help quickly as I'm going deer hunting tomorrow and pulled out the G4 and my engine light came on...Code is 520209....A 5 is on top and a 1 is on the bottom...If anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to be stuck out in the middle of know where tomorrow...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you sure it's not 520207 ? There is no 520209

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,124 Posts
From what I can gather it will be the o2 sensor probably the heater part of it! You will be okay tomorrow will not leave you stranded.

·
Super Moderator
4,124 Posts
The main thing that fails on the heated o2 sensor is the heater the sensor needs to be at a set temp to read properly. short answer if the heater has shorted or failed then yes will have to buy a new sensor. I would raise the bed and unplug the o2 sensor it will be a 4 wire plug about on top of spark plug wires and see if the plug is maybe dirty or loose or damp a little diaelectric grease and see what happens.drive it and see. but if its failed will not repair itself and have to be replaced.

Reactions: tnessel

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes...Its 520209...Thank you RockinRonnie...What does that exactly mean and what do I need to do? Buy a 02 sensor?
I guess not all the codes are in the service manual.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Interesting.

I got my DuraClutch set up for my 2016 General. Got it installed and might have 150 miles on it since.

Currently in Arizona doing trails in the "Area 4" of Funtreks.

Second day and I swore I heard a "chirp" back at the CVT area. Heard it a couple more times...just when I pull away from a stop, and just giving it a little gas.

Today it threw the 7 65590 1 code and went into limp mode. Called the dealer where I had the EPS bolt recall done and the valve adjustment checked right after getting here.

Service Manager says its the "misfire code" and that the belt is probably the cause.

So called DuraClutch. They have had two returned for inspection. Stephanie says its related to dust getting in the CVT housing and they have just received a batch of new Polaris Frogzskin filters to go under the screen on the Driver's side just after the door. There is a grill there, and no, it has no filter behind it...dust goes right to the nose of the Secondary Clutch.

Fortunately when I bought my DuraClutch set up I went ahead and ordered a spare belt. They have a great warranty on the belt...but I prefer to be prepared!

So I used compressed air to blow all the dust out of the clutches...didn't seem like that much. Removed the belt, there does seem to be one damaged spot, looks like the teeth on the belt got clipped a little on the front side.

Installed the new belt and heading out tomorrow!!

Stephanie did tell me they will be sending every General owner, that has purchased the DuraCluch set up, one of the new Frogzskin filters.

Guess we'll see what happens. I sure do like the way the DuraClutch set up works! Ain't going back, will get this worked out!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
710 Posts
I put my duraclutch on the same time as you Pirate and I have had these codes probably 20 times since then. It always happens when I’m decelerating but still have my foot in the gas just a little. Like coming up to a stop sign or a turn. I turn the machine off then back on again and it’s good to go. Kind of sucks but I don’t think it hurting anything. Never did this once before I installed the duraclutch. I have the side clutch vent rerouted so it sucks air from the cab behind the drivers seat so I don’t think it’s dust causing this. I love the clutches though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Forgot to metion that the first time it done this was within the first 5 minutes of the first ride after installing duraclutch. So again I know it wasn’t dusty that time.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Sounds like Duraclutch isn't 100% fine tuned yet either. At least we know they will do something about it and not just sit back and lick their *****.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Not sure its a DuraClutch issue. I got to thinking about it and this past Summer we had the recall to reprogram the ECU...and what was it for...a misfire and injectors continuing to feed fuel to misfiring cylinder and creating a fire hazard in the exhaust system.

And that got done a couple of months before we could get our DuraClutch set-ups.

Been rolling things around in my mind all day out on the trail...the last two days.

So first I got a check engine light...and that led to code 65590...which on second re-start...a couple of miles headed back to camp...it went out and machine ran just fine.

Removed the belt....maybe a couple of teeth cut a bit. So changed out. Did away with slight chip on pull from start.

Next day, no noise, but right out of nowhere the check engine light is back. So pulled off the trail took about a 20 minute lunch break, then back on the trail. Just a few minutes later the check engine light went out an all was good.

Today, a lot of rough terrain. Kept it in "L" and found that I could easily roll along at up to 17 MPH in "L" without feeling like I needed to be in "H". Then coming out shifted to "H" and just let it roll. No "tromp on the gas pedal". Just rolling along on and off the gas as needed. No problems at all! Did hear the "chirp" twice but was it the belt slipping? I wouldn't think so from the terrain we were in!!

So are we having a problem that Polaris introduced with the reprogramming of the ECU? Could it be that in a particular engine braking situation a cylinder or both, misfires and that is enough to trip the 65590 engine code?

And my big wonder...what does it take to reset the 65590 code so we're not stuck in limp mode?

How long does it stay in "alarm"?

What is done to get the check engine light to go out and the machine return to running normally?

Hmmmm....

Pirate

·
Registered
710 Posts
I’ve had the code a lot and like you said I think it is a combination of something the duraclutch does (braking) and the ecu reflash. The way the clutches work triggers something in the ecu because mine does it almost every time I ride it. I just shut it off then turn it back on and limp mode goes away and in a few miles light goes out. Hmmm

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Got a preliminary response from DuraClutch. Could be that the weights need to be heavier to prevent belt slippage.

Also got some info that belt slippage is what causes the 7 65590 code.

Have a sent info on getting to this post to DuraClutch. Really don't know if they keep up with the forum or not...

More to come...

Pirate

1 - 20 of 58 Posts