Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you change the drive belt on the General? Is it as simple as spreading the clutch sheaves on the secondary and walking the new one on, like other 900's and 1000's? Would hope that it can be done on the trail if needed.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Yes that is the basic belt change ! same as rzr and ranger! And in the tool kit that comes with the General you will find tool to help with install. And you can do it on the trail as long as you have a belt!

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I have always said better to have and not need then to need and not have!

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I would be carful with them thoughts!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I will have to get a spare. Might never need it but... Got overconfident thinking I wouldn't get a flat either so I didn't put the tire repair kit in the general. That worked out real well! Got a flat with less than 60 miles on the machine.
You'll find a post on here somewhere where I doubted a spare belt. After 6 years of running the factory belt on my RZR 800, I never saw a reason to carry a spare. Well, now I'm eating crow.

I recently did a 600+ mile, 6 day trip in NL (600+ miles from home in another province) and on day 4 of the trip, we were an hour out from camp when I disintegrated a belt.

With the General still being a new machine on the market and NL not being a big SxS market, I was left stranded. Luckily I managed to locate a RZR 1000 belt at a dealer an hour outside of the town we were staying in.

The good news is the belt blew on the way back to camp at the end of the day and I was able to have the belt delivered early the next morning, so I did close out on any riding time.

As soon as we got home, I ordered two new belts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts