Polaris General Forum banner

Broken Primary Clutch Cover Bolt

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Anvil 
#1 ·
Trying to put a Hunterworks white washer in tonight I broke one of the Primary Clutch Cove bolts putting it back in. Does anyone have any fixes or is it a new Primary Clutch?

#7 ·
Option 1: Remove the clutch and mount it in a drill press first. Get a set of left-hand drill bits. Start with the smallest drill bit that you can and use the lowest drill speed. If you drill completely through the bottom of the bolt, then move up to the next drill bit size and repeat. Eventually, the left-hand drill bit will bite into the broken bolt and un-thread it for you.

I think that I bought my left-hand drill bit set off ebay.

Option 2: Do you have a local machine shop that could extract the broken bolt for you?

#10 ·
I have a left hand drill bit extractor set ordered. I figure it is worth a try. If I am careful and protect the threads I might have success. I also order a set of self centering bits that you can change the drill bits in. I hope 1 of them will fit the hole to keep the bit lined up. An other might be steel or aluminum tubing. I am going to see if a 1/4 tube will fit the hole. The plastic tubing is another good idea that I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

#11 ·
If successful getting the broken bolt out, you might want to replace all the bolts. When torquing any bolt, the amount of torque is determined in order to stretch the bolt a certain length. If you exceed that stretch point just once, it permanently weakens the bolt, and it will eventually fail. Same with wheel studs. On trucks, we've replaced just the broken stud, and next day, the stud on each side of the replaced one break. Now it's all or none.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.