Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
It kinda looks like the inner rollers started you down that path. Maybe occasional inspection of those would be a good isea
Agreed, Corbo. It is ridiculous that Polaris has not properly addressed the clutch air issues. We shouldn't have to spend so much effort maintaining the clutches. As soon as Honda has a machine to compete with the General, one that includes their no-belt drive, I am there!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't know how, but I missed this post. Very good project Dingo! Interested, as always, in how it works out over the longer term. You ride much more than I do,
so your results will be most interesting!!

Pirate
Thanks Pirate! Yes, it is my intention to continue to post as the prototypes for the secondary clutch air intake are developed. That said, I could stop right now, with the intake at the top center of the rear windshield, and I would be about 75% ahead of the OEM system!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
For other machines...I bought 5 tickets on the COHVCO site for a new Kawasaki KRX...with 4Lock...hoping to win!
Pirate

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000, 2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 SE, 2021 General XP 4 1000 Deluxe RC
41 Posts
Ok, so I am new to this forum. I am also new to Polaris. Always have had Honda and Yamaha. I’m thinking about buying a General XP 4 factory custom. In my Yamahas, which have a CVT, I have never had to clean a clutch. Is this something that is unique to Polaris? Is there an upgrade that can be done to avoid cleaning dust out after rides? I have had Yamaha grizzly atvs and Wolverines and never had to do anybody cleaning. Sorry, if this sounds dumb but I don’t want to ruin the clutch on a $30,000 side by side that I buy. I also don’t want to be stuck doing a bunch of maintenance after riding in water and dust. Thanks for any advice!!!

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, so I am new to this forum. I am also new to Polaris. Always have had Honda and Yamaha. I’m thinking about buying a General XP 4 factory custom. In my Yamahas, which have a CVT, I have never had to clean a clutch. Is this something that is unique to Polaris? Is there an upgrade that can be done to avoid cleaning dust out after rides? I have had Yamaha grizzly atvs and Wolverines and never had to do anybody cleaning. Sorry, if this sounds dumb but I don’t want to ruin the clutch on a $30,000 side by side that I buy. I also don’t want to be stuck doing a bunch of maintenance after riding in water and dust. Thanks for any advice!!!
It really depends on where you live and ride. Some live in areas with lots of trees and higher humidity and dust is minimal. I am in the desert southwest and dust is a way of life here. I blow the dust out every 40 to 80 miles. This is a choice that I made and keeps the clutches very clean. Dust always blows out and I've never felt it was a waste of time. It only takes about ten to fifteen minutes from start to finish. I've had two sportsman(500 & 800) and still have a Rzr 800 trail and I never blew those clutches out and never had any problems. My thoughts are, the General has a lot more power and therefore a lot more wear and tear on the clutches. I feel its good preventative maintenance to avoid problems down the line. You hear stories of problems and failures, anything you can do to prevent wear is a good thing.
So to answer your question, do you have to do it, maybe not, only time will tell. For me, its too easy to lift the back of the machine, spin off 8 clutch cover screws and a hose clamp, the cover comes right off, blow it out with an air nozzle and replace the cover. This gives me piece of mind and I have seen little to no wear in my clutches and as I pointed out, dust in my neck of the woods is bad and will flat ruin things. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Jimyedy15

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000, 2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 SE, 2021 General XP 4 1000 Deluxe RC
41 Posts
Thanks for the info! Again, I’m not used to Polaris or what maintenance is required on them. I want the XP 4 because of size and comfort but I want reliability too like I’ve had with my Yamahas and Hondas. I don’t mind some routine maintenance but want to make sure I’m not getting myself into something that is full of issues.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the info! Again, I’m not used to Polaris or what maintenance is required on them. I want the XP 4 because of size and comfort but I want reliability too like I’ve had with my Yamahas and Hondas. I don’t mind some routine maintenance but want to make sure I’m not getting myself into something that is full of issues.
I wouldn't worry too much. The General XPs are Beasts and capable of so much

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Jimyedy15,
My experiences are different than Corbo1962s My first SXS was a 2009 RZR 800. I totally destroyed a Primary clutch due to dust. And completely destroyed a Holz Stage III motor due to dust (not real sure how it happened) The 800 machines had the combustion air intake and CVT cooling air intake as simply open tubing under the bed in the engine compartment. The most dust contaminated place in a RZR800! This changed with the coming of the RZR 900 and then the RZR/General 1000 machines. The Combustion and CVT cooling air intake are under the hood...a much cleaner place.
The General does have a "Secondary CVT Cooling Air" intake located behind the driver door. It took a couple of years but Outerwears came on the scene with Frogzskin not far behind.

Outerwears makes covers for the under-the-hood combustion and CVT cooling air intakes. These are them. They are available in a number of colors.

Outerwears makes covers for the air filter element in the air cleaner box. This is it:

I'm not sure which this is...I have one that has a closed end and one that is a tube with elastic at both ends. I just covers the filter element media.
A new General comes with one of the Frogzskin covers for the Secondary CVT Cooling Air Intake, it's item 9 on
the graphic below:

The price is outrageous. But you can call DuraClutch and get one for about $15.

A couple of things on these....
The Outerwears material and the Frogzskin material stop particles down to 50 microns.
So what you will find in the CVT housing is dust that is finer than Mama's face powder. And not very much of it. For my riding in dusty conditions...maybe a half Teaspoon.
But any dust is an abrasive. It gets between the clutch components, which are aluminum or magnesium. Magnesium being a little tougher. But abrasive dust will wear and eventually
ruin the components and their tolerances. Also dust getting between the faces of the belt and the faces of the clutch sheaves will score the sheaves an damage the belt.
Along with blowing out the clutches, I take the Outerwears off, wash them in warm water with just a drop of dish soap and then rinse. Do not point the faucet directly at the material to rinse, you can damage the material. Set them aside to dry and ready to reinstall in about 30 minutes.

The Frogzskin cover is not the best product. Look on the inside of the fender well and you will see daylight. Cover those with aluminum tape, heavy stuff, and close the gaps.
Around the plastic grille there is a gap to the fender. It will allow dust into the CVT housing. I seal mine with a bead of 100% silicone. Use a finger dipped in Mineral Spirits to smooth the bead, remove any excess and get it off your fingers.

Thus, all sealed up and minimal dust intrusion, but you still need to blow the CVT out with compressed air

Pirate

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Jimyedy15,
I agree with everything Pirate said. I had stated that I had no problems with my 2 sportsman and my Rzr, however, just because it didn't surface doesn't mean that they weren't on borrowed time. I still have never had the cover off my Rzr, but plan to do so in the near future for an inspection and to blow out the dust for peace of mind. I'm kinda worried about what I might find, but better in the garage than out on the trail. I also have the outer wears covers installed and picked that tip up from Pirate, just after I joined the forum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pirate and Corbo,

Thank you both very much for the insight and knowledge. I am very excited about having a General XP 4 for the family but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have a ton of reliability problems. We have a farm that has a couple of streams and a river. When low we will do some water riding but nothing that gets up higher than 18-20 inches max. It isn't something we do all the time but I want to be able to still do it with the General. We ride trails when we go to Wisconsin or South Dakota too and there is plenty of dust in both places most of the time. I will surely get the Gilomen tune and Duraclutch upgrades once my warranty expires on my new unit. Thanks again for all the information! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I wouldn't wait on the warranty. The clutches are "wear items" and not covered by warranty. The ECU program would be very hard for a dealer to identify, and it's better than the OEM program...

Pirate

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good to know. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good idea to blow them out every time you do a long dusty ride. I got tired of all the dust coming in on my new 2020 G4 XP 1000 and disconnected the side intake going into the secondary and installed a small K&N filter with sock and Outerwear filters on the front intakes. Running two checks of 50 miles each in very dusty conditions little or no dirt dust was seen. Did have some minor belt dust and that was it! Secondary intake filter and sock did its job. Removed it and blew it out. Lots of very fine dust collected in the filter pleats.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do Generals really need 2 intake tubes for the clutch?? RZR's only use 1 & seem to get by, the amount of dust coming in thru the side intake looks to be more of a liability to the clutch than a bonus, hmmm, just thinking.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do Generals really need 2 intake tubes for the clutch?? RZR's only use 1 & seem to get by, the amount of dust coming in thru the side intake looks to be more of a liability to the clutch than a bonus, hmmm, just thinking.
Why Polaris chose the rops side post area for an air intake is beyond common sense. Dust just rolls up in the area and is sucked into the clutch area. Yes a big liability for the life of the clutch. On the General they put one air intake up front under the hood which is great, but why they put the one on the rear where dirt is drawn into the secondary clutch just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Roadrunner, the Secondary CVT Cooling Air intake is the one behind the door on the driver side. Yes it's a poor location.
You need to get the Frogzskin mesh cover that goes over the Polaris plastic grille. You can get one from DuraClutch for about $18.
It comes with adhesive tabs to hold in it place.

But...you'll need to go further. Use 100% silicone to fill the gap between the grille and the fender. Have a little Mineral Spirits on hand. Dip you finger in it and smooth the bead, remove any excess and get it off your fingers. That seals the outside.

Then on the inside of the fender, use some heavy aluminum tape to seal the openings, I recall there are four little areas where light comes through.

With the inside and outside sealed, and an Outerwears over the under-the-hood cooling air intake. And the Frogzskin over the grille.

You can ride for several incredibly dusty days...and maybe find a 1/4 teaspoon of dust in the CVT housing.

That's because Outerwears and Frogzskin material stops anything larger than 5 microns. So what you will find is finer than Mama's face powder.

Give it a try.

Pirate

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why Polaris chose the rops side post area for an air intake is beyond common sense. Dust just rolls up in the area and is sucked into the clutch area. Yes a big liability for the life of the clutch. On the General they put one air intake up front under the hood which is great, but why they put the one on the rear where dirt is drawn into the secondary clutch just doesn't make sense.
I completely disagree with Pirate on outerwear's on anything there are numerous videos on youtube that explain the airflow decrease. there are also a full polaris team of train drivers that designed the machine to a certain amount of airflow. I think you'd see your CVT cavity temperature in arizona skyrocket. The duners sometime remove the cover just to deal with the heat build up, hence the blow hole was developed so they could keep the cover on. I think you can get away with those significant restriction elements in some climates, but in Arizona I'd be cautious. Happy trails !

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am no fan of the frog skin stuff. even with outer wears here in Arizona desert were dust is a way of life the K&N set up has been working well for me. All I see now during inspection is just a bit belt dust when blowing out the clutch area. I did install a Blow Hole fan when I installed the Duraclutch. No belt or clutch issues what so ever. :)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts