Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General XP
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a group that is planning a trip to the hills this fall, thinking Hill City area. We plan to bring our own machines from Wisconsin and wondering about the "street legal" requirements in the hills. Our goal is to see all the sites, such as Rusmore and Crazyhorse, from the generals and not get back in the truck untill its time to go home. Do our generals need any special equipment such as turn signals to be able to do this?

·
Registered
2021 General
131 Posts
Hand signals will work but you must have a horn, some of the guys used the handheld portable boat horns when we went out there.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Hand signals work there but would highly recommend turn signals.
When we used to spend our summers there, we saw 2 bad accidents where the SxS's got rear ended by a vehicle. Wasn't pretty and luckily no one got killed.
For the few dollars it costs for blinkers I wouldn't think twice about putting them on.
Safety first!
Your unit must have horn, headlight, brake light, rear view mirror, and vehicle must be licensed. Don't forget the insurance either. If riding in the parks you will need a parks license too.
You must have a drivers license also.
Need a pass to ride forest service trails.
PM sent.

Reactions: kc81c and Catdaddy

·
Registered
Still walking 34 weeks post order
184 Posts
Hand signals work there but would highly recommend turn signals.
When we used to spend our summers there, we saw 2 bad accidents where the SxS's got rear ended by a vehicle. Wasn't pretty and luckily no one got killed.
For the few dollars it costs for blinkers I wouldn't think twice about putting them on.
Safety first!
Your unit must have horn, headlight, brake light, rear view mirror, and vehicle must be licensed. Don't forget the insurance either. If riding in the parks you will need a parks license too.
You must have a drivers license also.
Need a pass to ride forest service trails.
PM sent.
and just to be picky, a lighted license plate.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Download the Avenza app and the free maps. It will complement the Ride command and show you where your XP will be too wide. They have stepped up their game monitoring width, but it will not limit you too much.

If you do plan on riding the Western Black hills, you may want a Wyoming trail pass, as it's super easy to keep going west with the piles of great trails out that direction! Enjoy!

·
Registered
2021 General XP
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been wanting to add turn signals anyway so now is a good reason to do it. If we do this do we need the temp road permit from the courthouse along with the trail pass, or just the trail pass? Looks like we can get the trail pass at the ranger station as we come into the hills.

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
171 Posts
As you're coming into Rapid City on I-90, pull off at exit 61, stop at the Black Hills Visitors Information Center. (it's right behind the Common Cents convenience store) They sell the trail passes there. IIRC it was $20 for a three day pass or $25 for a yearly pass.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been wanting to add turn signals anyway so now is a good reason to do it. If we do this do we need the temp road permit from the courthouse along with the trail pass, or just the trail pass? Looks like we can get the trail pass at the ranger station as we come into the hills.
Yes you will want the road permit and trail pass. The road permit is good for like three days. We got ours in advance of our trip from the county. You literally call them, and mail a check! But worth having done. The trails sticker goes on one side of the window, and the temp road permit is a piece of paper you tape onto the other side. Then you can run all the roads except the Interstate (and park pass if you go through the big parks)

We ran the highway between Deadwod, Lead, Cheyenne Crossing and Spearfish canyon, as there were no direct trails to reach certain areas. Like we needed a reason to run into Deadwood at night to top off with fuel!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
If your General is licensed in your home State you don't need a road permit for SD. It has to be a hard plate.

Reactions: Biffdotorg

·
Premium Member
2021 General XP 4
154 Posts
Lots of good info I'd agree with everything Johnny 7 said. We have been there twice. I'm legal in ND so we were good in SD other than a trail pass. The roads can get busy a mirror and turn signals would be worth the minimal cost. We tried the paper map and Ride Command the first time, the second time we had Avenza on a phone. I made a tablet mount for next time. Some of the campgrounds have the trail passes to have fun it is a great area and very friendly to UTVs

·
Registered
241 Posts
If your General is licensed in your home State you don't need a road permit for SD. It has to be a hard plate.
This was a weird debate on one of the ATV SD forums as ours is registered in MN with a hard plate. But when I called the county office and asked how much it was, I giggled and sent them the check. It was like under $10 for three days. But we come to find out, there was hardly a LEO in site anywhere we went. But about the time we weren't legal would have been when they showed up.

We had a RZR, G4Xp, G4 and Ranger in our group. My G4 was the only one under 64" We wanted to run up to the Nemo flag and it was designated too narrow. So many go up anyway, and wouldn't you know, the day we rolled through Nemo, there was a LEO at the trailhead. No idea if they were checking width, but we drove on by anyway.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
One year northeast of Nemo we were trail riding and got checked by the Forest Service for our tag. After showing them where it was and them verifying it, we talked with them a while. They said anyone they stopped that didn't have a Forest Service Pass, it was a $300. cash fine payable on the spot or they had to park their machine and walk out. I laughed when they said that, but they were serious. Heard it later on from other people that knew people that got pinched.
So not worth not buying the Forest Service Pass.

Reactions: Biffdotorg

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a Facebook Page called Buffalo Ridge that I have used. They are a great with answering questions and are local so very helpful. Been out in the Hills a couple of years and would highly recommend it. Also as cheap and easy as the passes are to get, it isn't worth the hassle of not having them. Display them correctly and the Forest Service Rangers have always just waved as we met them on the trails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts