Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve done a lot since I’ve purchased it. It has super ATV high clearance +1.5” arms front and rear. SLP clutch. 30 inch tires and aftermarket wheels. Rollers and a belt from Hunter. What I really wanted to share is a newbie mistake I made. I blew the belt and put a new one in. It didn’t seem like I found enough parts from the old belt. I took it for a couple rides and kept hearing a clunking sound. The kind of sound you hear when a belt breaks but not as violent. On my third attempt I finally checked my upper CVT cooling air duct. This is what I found in there

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wow

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hmmm...did you keep the other pieces? A little Gorilla glue and it'll good as new!!! LOL!!!

Seriously now, do you have ideas on what caused the belt to fail? Too much heat will do that, but something in the way your were driving when it failed?
Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmmm...did you keep the other pieces? A little Gorilla glue and it'll good as new!!! LOL!!!

Seriously now, do you have ideas on what caused the belt to fail? Too much heat will do that, but something in the way your were driving when it failed?
Thanks,

Pirate
Lol, I really should have given it
More thought. I just thought wow that belt disintegrated. Should have looked for the rest of it.
yes I spent several miles with the pedal pretty near the floor in deep snow.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
That will do it, sounds like it got very hot. More than likely slipped some too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The day I bought my first side by side I brought it home and ripped across a farm field in about a foot of snow. Full 4wd the whole time. I blew the belt in less than 15 minutes (y)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I’ve learned since about breaking in a belt has taught me a lot. I did it wrong. ?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks to all on great tips on changing the belt and pit falls and such. I’m still waiting on changing out my first belt ever.
I guess driving style really matters!

Don’t get all butt hurt, my play yard is Baja and we don’t pit squirrel much down here so things have to last, especially on a short 160 mile day ride.

Take care of yourself and be safe

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks to all on great tips on changing the belt and pit falls and such. I’m still waiting on changing out my first belt ever.
I guess driving style really matters!

Don’t get all butt hurt, my play yard is Baja and we don’t pit squirrel much down here so things have to last, especially on a short 160 mile day ride.

Take care of yourself and be safe

Cheers
Baja Charlie
I'm kinda in the same place, two quads, a Rzr800 and now the general, have yet to replace a belt in the field. I think the secret is to use low when going below 20mph and when climbing. With the power these 1000 have, I did start carrying a spare belt. I now expect for it to happen at some point. It's good to hear of the carnage that can happen and what to look for when it does. Always drive safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We use 1000 Ranger's and Defenders in the snow up here in Montana for work and it is standard practice to carry an extra belt and the tools to change them in the field as part of the truck basic issue. Haven't had the Defenders long enough to go through this but we are prepared for it. We have had to do it with both of our Ranger's over the years. Tips I can offer for using tracks in the snow that will reduce the field breakages is to keep it in low gear, listen for the squealing, let 'em cool down for a while if you hear it or notice its getting hot, don't keep pressing the gas when you start bogging down and when it does break, you HAVE to clear out all the old belt fragments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts