Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm overly cautious or just wanted to do another mod, but after another thread discussion on mud protection and water intrusion, I decided to take on the recommendation of treebeme and cover my side belt intake with Frogzskin. Frogzskin allows air to flow but not water. I tested this, and water will not go through it. Amazing stuff! Only problem is I had to buy a piece 48" x 48". What I would say is a lifetime supply of Frogzskin. https://www.frogzskin.com/

I included a pic before the skin was applied. In this pic I removed the plastic intake cover after a few rides and saw water/mud spots inside. While likely not much water, I feel that splash could get sucked in this intake.

Shown in the remaining pics, I cut out a piece of the material, put some silicone around the outside edges of the back of the plastic intake cover, and set the material in the silicone. Let it dry and re-installed the piece to the machine.

I discussed this with a reputable dealer. They thought it would be ok, but did wonder why Polaris didn't cover with the skin from the factory. They did on the Ranger. I left the intakes under the hood uncovered just in case there is any air restriction.

This dealer did tell me a neat trick. In a training session with Polaris, they filled the belt housing with 5 gallons of water. To clear it out, they put the machine in neutral and ran the throttle up half way. The clutches pumped the water out of the housing like a water pump. Then you drive in LOW for a while to ensure belt is dry. He told me this, to say that Frogzskin won't let water out. There is still the outlet on top of the engine so I felt comfortable moving forward with the skin install. I could always remove the cover if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree about not covering the intake but you could cover the vents on the hood.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
291 Posts
Great idea Bluebass! That frogskin stuff is great as long as it clean. If it has mud on it, it is now causing a massive restriction of air. Again I'm not saying it's not good for keeping water out but remember why Polaris redesigned the cover and added two intakes on the 1000's shortly after they released them. They couldn't keep belts on the cars from lack of cooling:frown2: Now we don't have much of a mud clogging problem here in the SoCal deserts cause we avoid mud at all costs and it only rains about twice a year:laugh:
So at the end of the day just keep yer skinz clean, drink and be safe!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree about not covering the intake but you could cover the vents on the hood.
Thanks. I thought about covering those vents in the hood as well, but when I got to studying how they worked, I realized they don't do anything. They don't go into the hood compartment. They actually go into the fenders. I think they are just for looks. :laugh:

·
Read Only
1,001 Posts
I do not plan on going into water that is that deep so I think I will not do that Frog skin mainly because I know I ride through alot of dust, good Idea though if you are gonna go DEEP!!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not plan on going into water that is that deep so I think I will not do that Frog skin mainly because I know I ride through alot of dust, good Idea though if you are gonna go DEEP!!!!!
Probably won't need it. Yeah I don't plan on going through water up to that level. I was only worried about the splash from creek crossings, and mud holes. If I'm in water up to the intake, I'm in trouble :laugh: I plan to clean off the skin with a brush when I stop. I did this with my Ranger.

Reactions: 2722

·
Registered
223 Posts
One of the dealers I went by in Wyoming said that they reroute those into the back of the cab on all Rangers and Razors they sell. We took a look at it and he came up with the parts in his store. Basically reroute it to right above the filter box with a vent. That way its always pulling air from the cab and no debris.

I have used Frogskins on sleds and it is great stuff until it gets clogged with snow or mud.

If I get a General, ill be doing that as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This dealer did tell me a neat trick. In a training session with Polaris, they filled the belt housing with 5 gallons of water. To clear it out, they put the machine in neutral and ran the throttle up half way. The clutches pumped the water out of the housing like a water pump. Then you drive in LOW for a while to ensure belt is dry. He told me this, to say that Frogzskin won't let water out. There is still the outlet on top of the engine so I felt comfortable moving forward with the skin install. I could always remove the cover if needed.
Hello Bluegrass, I have read this a dozen times. My dealer stressed to me not to get any water in the intake (on driver's side). I have even gone so far as to remove the guard when washing and using a rag to ensure no water get in. I know there is a drain plug but... I just wanted to make sure I read this correctly..

If I am riding and water gets in the intake, just need to put in park throttle up for a bit then keep it in low a while? I am not talking about gallons mind you, just a splash.

This is my first S x S (got my General this weekend, LOVE it by the way) and I am overly concerned to keep my belt in good shape possibly.

While I am at it... My dealer also warned me against riding around in High as a means to lengthen belt life. So I have been switching to Low when I move from road to trail, does everyone agree with this as well??

Thanks and Much appreciation to this forum..

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts
As far as High gear goes, if I can stay above 10mph I run high gear. If I come up on a steep hill, and it can be hit fast, I stay in high, and hit it like a mad man.

I stayed in high gear almost all day at Carolina Adventure World last Friday. Only used low a couple times, when I got caught behind some slower riders.

At Uwharrie, their trails are so rocky, and hilly, I stayed in low about all day there.

Also, welcome to the forum, s3cr3tsqrrl!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello Bluegrass, I have read this a dozen times. My dealer stressed to me not to get any water in the intake (on driver's side). I have even gone so far as to remove the guard when washing and using a rag to ensure no water get in. I know there is a drain plug but... I just wanted to make sure I read this correctly..

If I am riding and water gets in the intake, just need to put in park throttle up for a bit then keep it in low a while? I am not talking about gallons mind you, just a splash.

This is my first S x S (got my General this weekend, LOVE it by the way) and I am overly concerned to keep my belt in good shape possibly.

While I am at it... My dealer also warned me against riding around in High as a means to lengthen belt life. So I have been switching to Low when I move from road to trail, does everyone agree with this as well??

Thanks and Much appreciation to this forum..
Welcome to the forum and don't worry about a little water. There is a lot of room in there and the hot clutches will evaporate it quickly. Now as far as low range, I don't use it unless I am maneuvering in tight spaces or sustained speed under 10.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Secret squirrel. Can't get a new email without taking the vowels out or switching letters for numbers like the kids do.. Too Many people!! Ha
Thanks Alaskan. Proud to be here. Love my new toy! You put a lot of good info here I've been utilizing... Keep it up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Welcome s3cr3tsqrri!
The last 300 miles I have only have in low less then a mile when I came to a deep water and then I used 4 wheel and low the rest of the time two wheel high

·
Registered
374 Posts
I went on a rally this past weekend. Back at the clubhouse, the local firehall had a pumper truck there and they were offering ATV/SxS washes for a small donation.

I tossed my cash in the boot, went inside to check my poker hand and didn't think anymore of it. When I came out to move my General, there was a clear sign I had water in the clutch. :surprise:

I pulled the little red drain plug, revved the throttle a few times and watched the mucky-grey water shoot out. After there was no sign of water, I put it in low, drove around the parking lot a few times, then put the drain plug back in and it's been good since.

Lesson to be learned.......don't drown the General with a firehose!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
For those that are looking for a non diy fix we offer this intake vent, the stock cover installs back over the vent to help protect the mesh. They are now listed on our website mountainfithoods.net
Just a note. The stock cover is installed over the filter. Getting the two screws back into their proper holes can be a bit tricky. I screwed this up and lost both the filter and the cover somewhere in the idaho boonies.

Be advised !

Polaris wants $90.00 , yes, ninety dollars for that cover as well as $1.29 for each of the two screws. :surprise::surprise:

Moral of the story, make sure that cover is on properly!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
For those that are looking for a non diy fix we offer this intake vent, the stock cover installs back over the vent to help protect the mesh. They are now listed on our website mountainfithoods.net
We have this on ours and it works good. Won't stop a garden hose or pressure washer water from getting in, just so you know. Just use common sense.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Forum discount

a
Do you have a discount for forum members?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
bluesbass,

You've done the same as I have putting Frogzskin on the back side of the grille. Funny, Polaris speaks to it as though it had something like Outerwears or Frogzskin on it, but nope, just a worthless grille.

Now, two additional steps I took to keep water and dust out of the CVT:

Where the Polaris grille "plugs" into the fender. there are three tabs. The forward two you can see from the fender well. I used a piece of aluminum tape to seal both, as after buying a Mountain Fit Hood "screen", I found lots of dust in the hose between the grille and the CVT. The third is tucked up inside the fender so I cut a piece of foam, stuffed it up in to seal the tab and then used small pieces of aluminum tape to hold the foam in place.

The grille does not seal around the outside edges, dust gets around the edges and behind the Frogzskin. So I used good grade electrical tape an sealed all around the grille on the outside. Not the best looking, but it works to seal the outside.

These two fixes went on about the middle of last Summer. So far no dust in the tube. So I haven't taken the grille out yet.

Just a few thoughts,

Pirate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts