Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General 4 XP Ride Command
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you guys out there, I have an XP 4 on the way and have looked all over for a bed rack that extends wider than the bed. I have searched all over and can not find anything anywhere, was wondering if anyone here has seen, purchased or fabricated anything of the sort ! My goal is to be able to set 2 dog boxes side by side on it and strap them down!
Thanks !!

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,972 Posts
You add that much weight to the bed sides, you're going to bend your bed frame. I added a rack with spare tire mount and bent my bed first ride with it on. There's a few threads about the "bed spreading" issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems the 600 pounds claimed by polaris is for the flat bottom part of the bed only and that does not include the bed sides , Unless they have done something different on the 21 model . You may see if you can make something similar to a snowmobile sled deck that bolts to the bed base but clears the bed sides altogether .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems the 600 pounds claimed by polaris is for the flat bottom part of the bed only and that does not include the bed sides , Unless they have done something different on the 21 model . You may see if you can make something similar to a snowmobile sled deck that bolts to the bed base but clears the bed sides altogether .
That is what I am thinking, once my machine gets delivered I will have to see what I can come up with !
Thanks !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
That’s what I was afraid of, anyone have any other ideas for getting 2 dog boxes on the back of a General?
I'd build it like a slide in truck camper! Put the weight on the floor of the bed not the rails.Make it out of wood first formock up,if it works you can have a better one made out of metal? Just my thought, goodluck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd build it like a slide in truck camper! Put the weight on the floor of the bed not the rails.Make it out of wood first formock up,if it works you can have a better one made out of metal? Just my thought, goodluck!
That’s a great idea! Then i could pull it out when we are not chasing birds. I will have to see if I can come up with something to keep it in place and not slide out the back when going up hills !
Thanks !

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General Hunter
113 Posts
Dragon works utv builds a dog cage/rack
Yes they do! I love my DragonWorks dog cage.
You could also strap 1 dog box to the top rack and one in the bed if you wanted.
Or just haul 2 dogs in the bed.

Reactions: Pwrwrkr

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I'd like to expand on the Slide in box rack idea. You could incorporate a drawer in the bottom to carry shells, vests, and other stuff. Just pull the rake out when the hunt or bird season is over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.