Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Amigos and Amigas it’s that time of the year and they are racing this weekend here in beautiful Baja California.
It’s the Baja 500 by SCORE!!!!! I’m at mi casa (home in Punta Banda, south of Ensenada) for the race. Why BC aren’t you involved amigo??? Well the 500 is a two pit race for the top race teams (Trophy Trucks) so they don’t need me for such a short race (I’ll be involved in the Baja 1000 in November). So some of you newbies are thinking “whose this wacko and what’s he talking about?????”
Here’s a short history course on how side by sides got developed.
  • When Yamaha came out with the Rhino, some dudes said “hey, let’s race one in Baja” this was around 2005ish and they broke. The lure was cast and a bunch of crazy people started modifying their Rhinos and soon SCORE open a class for them to race in.
  • The problem with the new class was they never finished a race in Baja. Remember they were racing modified Rhinos and the aftermarket support did not exist.
  • Around 2008 (I think) the UTV class finally had a team that actually finished a Baja race (I think it was the Baja 1000) and it was an Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 team from Oregon. Lord almighty did the other UTV manufacturers wake up!!! Keep in mind that thru the years I have been involved with off road racing in Baja since 2000, so I’ve watched these UTV manufacturers struggle trying to finish a Baja race and they finally did.
  • After the epic finish by the Arctic Cat team Polaris really started to focus on the off road racing scene especially in the premier events held in Baja. Can Am woke up too and the race (races) were on!!!!! Arctic Cat silently disappeared from the scene and Yamaha and all the Rhino fanatics appeared prepared to race to win. Me being involved with the top division here in Baja (Trophy Trucks) I never paid much attention to the side by sides until the Matlocks (Wayne and Kristen) got involved with Polaris. Things changed!!!
  • Polaris developed the RZR and things changed down here. All of a sudden you had factory teams fully supported with the goal of not only winning the UTV class but rising up to beat many of the other race vehicle classes........ and they did!!!!!
  • Each year since 2014 it’s been crazy down here for the races. The introduction of the turbos has really put pressure on the other race vehicle classes. Imagine you are racing down a trail in you 1600 car (limited travel buggy with a stock Volkswagen engine) and getting nerfed from behind by a Polaris RZR 1000 or a Can Am X3. Score adjusted the starting order so the top UTV guys didn’t have to struggle with these prehistoric race vehicles.
  • Things are only get better for us consumers and Polaris comes out with their compromise vehicle, the General in 2016. What were they thinking???? No one will buy these, they have an antiquated design and little to none suspension. Well hold on Amigos and Amigas. The average person is not a full fledged off road racer so there’s a niche for these vehicles. With a few chosen modifications you can cater your rig into a pretty decent rig for what you want to do. Welcome to your General.
So I hope I didn’t bore you to death and you gained a little insight to your rig and how it came about. I’ll be watching this weekends race down here using the SCORE website tracking and I’ll be pulling hard for number 11 Rob MacCacheren (Trophy Truck) and his son Cadene who is racing a Polaris XP 1000 Turbo.

Cheers Baja Charlie
PS I’ll update the race results on Sunday

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amigo and Amigas
The race starts in two minutes
You can follow it on your smart phone or tablet just go to the SCORE international website and follow the race
cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One heck of a race so far
Go to SCORE international website and check it out!!!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well amigos and amigas
The Baja 500 is over and yes once again there is controversy over who won the overall race. No worries in regards to the UTV classes there is no controversy. Polaris has a good day with first place wins and 1 second place finish:
  • Class-UTV unlimited (Turbos) was won by Polaris with a 1st, a 3rd and 4th. CanAm got 2nd
  • Class-UTV Non-Aspirated (same engine as your General) Polaris with a 1st, a 3rd and 4th. Honda got 2nd and 4th
  • Class-UTV Pro Stock (pretty much bone stock) Polaris with a 1st, a 3rd and a 4th. CanAm got 2nd.
  • Class-UTV Open (highly modified) CanAm with a 1st and Polaris a 2nd, no others finishers
It was a heck of a race with a ton of tough places. I know because I’ve run almost the entire course a bunch of times on quads, my Arctic Crap, my XP 1000RZR and my General.

I hope a bunch of you amigos and amigas watched the race on the SCORE website yesterday. You can bet that Polaris gained a bunch of knowledge on what works best for all their models as they were one of the primary sponsors and new innovations into their lineup will be forth coming.

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS it’s 75 and sunny today here, time to go relax with a cold refreshment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts