Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1,960 miles on mine. Not easy on it, but I know a lot who are worse on there's. Broke an axle, it's the 2nd one. Now it looks like a wheel bearing is out also. Still have about 3 weeks on the original 6 month warranty. Will it cover the bearings also. They did the first axle. I didn't buy a golf cart this is bs

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I'm curious, what we're doing when you broke the first axle?

And what were you doing when you broke the second?

Which axle or axles did you break?

Asking for more information.

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
375 Posts
The dealer told me paved roads eat wheel bearings

I fail to see how paved roads can have any detrimental effect on wheel bearings. I think your dealer is mis-informed

What absolutely kills wheel bearings is water/mud. My previous ride (Odes) had poor seals on the bearings and no way to grease them. It didn't take long for the grease to get washed out and ruin the bearings, and I RARELY do mud or deep water.

I recall one guy b!tching up a storm on the Odes Forum about how his wheel bearings were shot after only 100 miles, but if you look at his youtube videos, he did miles in headlight deep water. He complained about how much the bearings cost and how long a wait it was to get them from Odes. I got mine from some bearing warehouse online. Premium EBC sealed units with secondary lip seals for all for corners for like $90.

Grease is the life of wheel bearings. You cannot beat the crap out of any unit (and water/mud runs is beating the crap outta it) without paying the price in either maintenance or repairs. Its your choice.

Tim

·
Registered
104 Posts
I fail to see how paved roads can have any detrimental effect on wheel bearings. I think your dealer is mis-informed

What absolutely kills wheel bearings is water/mud. My previous ride (Odes) had poor seals on the bearings and no way to grease them. It didn't take long for the grease to get washed out and ruin the bearings, and I RARELY do mud or deep water.

I recall one guy b!tching up a storm on the Odes Forum about how his wheel bearings were shot after only 100 miles, but if you look at his youtube videos, he did miles in headlight deep water. He complained about how much the bearings cost and how long a wait it was to get them from Odes. I got mine from some bearing warehouse online. Premium EBC sealed units with secondary lip seals for all for corners for like $90.

Grease is the life of wheel bearings. You cannot beat the crap out of any unit (and water/mud runs is beating the crap outta it) without paying the price in either maintenance or repairs. Its your choice.

Tim

Exactly. Mud water and pressure washing will make them wear a lot faster. Paved surfaces is gonna be the least of your worries, accept for tire wear. Your dealor may have meant high speeds for a long period of time getting them hot, other than that it makes no sense.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Id be ecstatic if the wheel bearings in my Ranger made it that long. I just greased all mine with an awesome new tool from Two Guys Hobby, hoping to prolong their life until winter. Took about 50 pumps each rotating the bearing to get them clean and full.

I will be greasing all new wheel bearings from now on, and if I get a General 4 I'll do them the minute it comes home. The biggest issue with all the bearings (oem, All Balls, ect) is a lack of grease from the start. I understand packing them full can be bad, but where we ride it's the only way to keep mud and silt out. Just be sure to use a high quality grease, I use Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty in everything with excellent results.

That tool was probably the best $100 I've spent. If any members in the Anchorage, Alaska area want to borrow it just let me know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Id be ecstatic if the wheel bearings in my Ranger made it that long. I just greased all mine with an awesome new tool from Two Guys Hobby, hoping to prolong their life until winter. Took about 50 pumps each rotating the bearing to get them clean and full.

I will be greasing all new wheel bearings from now on, and if I get a General 4 I'll do them the minute it comes home. The biggest issue with all the bearings (oem, All Balls, ect) is a lack of grease from the start. I understand packing them full can be bad, but where we ride it's the only way to keep mud and silt out. Just be sure to use a high quality grease, I use Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty in everything with excellent results.

That tool was probably the best $100 I've spent. If any members in the Anchorage, Alaska area want to borrow it just let me know.
What brand is the tool you used is there a website?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got the bearing greaser also. My question is. A grease gun will put out 12,000 lbs of pressure. You can blow the bearings. I've heard 6 to 8 pumps to 20 and up. Too much is as bad as too little. Where is the happy medium

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First axle = bad mud
2nd axle=. Probably jumping
Greased all 4 bearings today and could even tell a difference in the way it rolled. Never went over 10 pumps tho

1 - 13 of 13 Posts