Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wondered about this too. My rhino constantly got hot idling around so I been watching the general. Fan seems to cool well and i been running 205 (ish) down to 190. but I don't know where it is "too" hot for that motor. Looked in manual but it seems lacking in details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondered about this too. My rhino constantly got hot idling around so I been watching the general. Fan seems to cool well and i been running 205 (ish) down to 190. but I don't know where it is "too" hot for that motor. Looked in manual but it seems lacking in details.

I hear ya! The manual is severely lacking in that aspect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Most details. Like bolt sizes to change oil, diff oil etc (Allen head) was looking to grab some new Allen sockets and assumed it would be metric then I saw someone post 5/16 (I think) that info is usually in a manual..... So i guess I'm flush on metric Allen sockets.. My first Polaris experience. But when I drive it ... I have no complaints!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most details. Like bolt sizes to change oil, diff oil etc (Allen head) was looking to grab some new Allen sockets and assumed it would be metric then I saw someone post 5/16 (I think) that info is usually in a manual..... So i guess I'm flush on metric Allen sockets.. My first Polaris experience. But when I drive it ... I have no complaints!!!

Tools are not a problem.
But the basic info. is very appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
allen size

From what i've seen 8mm & 6mm to perform oil, front diff, and tranny. 6mm does oil 8 mm does the rest. Info from polaris ranger general 1000 maintenance on you tube

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I'll probably install a fan override switch like I did on my RZR 800.

I've gotten to where I just leave the fan running all the time. System voltage isn't affected.

And temp runs in the high 170's to low 180's.

Pirate

·
Registered
408 Posts
I usually ride monitoring the temp on the display and see the fan kick in around 204-205. Some RZRs had voltage reg problems. When voltage dropped the fan cut out and engine temp rose. I don't expect that with the General since it is not effected by the voltage reg recall, but if something happened to the fan or radiator, I would see it very soon and hopefully shutdown before damage.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I usually ride monitoring the temp on the display and see the fan kick in around 204-205. Some RZRs had voltage reg problems. When voltage dropped the fan cut out and engine temp rose. I don't expect that with the General since it is not effected by the voltage reg recall, but if something happened to the fan or radiator, I would see it very soon and hopefully shutdown before damage.
I must provide an update. Saturday was approaching 90 degF in WV. The ride had a lot of mud and although my radiator was not "clogged" it had some small amount of dirt on it. Climbing a steep rocking hill in LOW range yielded me a temp of 221 deg F! I was very concerned as I had never seen it this hot. It cooled down when I could go to high and speed increased. No issues as a result of the temp, just concerned

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
But if operating temperature is a concern...get the Factory UTV fan override switch and flip it on when getting into conditions that require stomping on the gas and going real slow...that keeps the temp at the lower end of the temp range.

Did it all the time in my RZR 800...and have installed one on the General...works great!!

Pirate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts