Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close to ordering parts to make my own sound system. A few questions. I'm looking to do a 4 speaker system. 6.5" speakers for all 4 and I've found what I think I want. 4 6.5" kicker marine speakers with built in led lighting. Here's the first question..what size amp for these? Each speaker has a max power of 195 watts and an RMS of 65 watts. I don't know what all that means and I figured y'all could point me in right direction as far as amp size goes. Also would you get a two channel amp and plug two speakers into each channel or go a 4 channel amp and each speaker have its own channel? Not planning on running a head unit or any other speakers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
While I'm not nearly smart enough to answer your questions, I have had the very same ones over the years. I was in the process of putting together a plan for an audio system in my 2016 General when I came across Side X Side Audio. The link is below. Before going down the road of starting from scratch on your own, I'd suggest taking a look. My system is being built right now and the customer service has been outstanding. Just an idea. I did the math on what I was planning vs. what they charge--it was cheaper to go with them. And that will give me more time to ride!

SidexSideAudio ? audio systems for side by sides and utvs

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
What jmkirkland said if you don't know what to get or what works together go with somebody that does and save the money and time on things that don't work together!

Reactions: gmman5

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jmkirkland I looked those up and your right! Great deal for what I think it was gonna cost me to build mine. I wonder if they will upgrade the amp for you or if you have to run a different amp yourself for the subs if you want them. If anyone knows let me know. If not I'll give them a call Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jmkirkland have you got your system back yet? Either way do you know how it mounts? Bolts to roof or on pro fit cage?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have it back yet--being built now. It mounts to the inner "lip" of the pro fit cage so it does not interfere or attach to the roof.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a light bar and mirror attached to the front roll bar. Any issues you think I'll have running those and this system as far as space for mounting?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I should have mine on Monday so I can answer then. I do have some concern about the mirror. I went to the Seizmik rear views mounted to the cage just in case.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok--I now have my sound system installed and it does not attach to the front portion of the roll cage so there is room to mount a rear view without any issue. The front speaker box does hang down a bit so you would need to be sure that the mounting arm for the mirror was long enough to clear it. I'll try to post a pic soon.

BTW--the system is awesome--and the customer service was top notch. Install took a bit of time but it was just because I'm picky and take my time. I really suggest you look at the sidexsideaudio systems if you want a different option.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Post some pics I cant quite see it from here sure it does look good thought >:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am not expert on car audio but I know alt about production live sound and electronics. You can blow speakers with undersized amps that are distorting (clipping). So if you plan to play this loud, and I assume you will, get a decent sized amp that plays clean. For 4 x 65 watt speakers, I would go at least 200 watts x 2 channels. Of course you can blow the speakers if you turn it up al the way for long periods of time and the amp is rated much higher than the speakers.

Should the speakers be wired in parallel having 2 channels or do you do 4 channels. One thing to consider here is the impedance of the speakers and the amp. 2 speakers that are 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel create a 2 ohm load. If you do this, make sure your amp works at 2 ohms. If your speakers are 8 ohm, then that creates 4 ohms in parallel. Amps will be rated on the power at a certain impedance e.g. 200 watts per channel at 4 ohms. It will produce less power at 8 ohms.

RMS power is the real power you want to consider for your speakers and amps. They also rate peak power. RMS (root mean square) is the true power. There is also the point that cheap amps and speakers sometimes don't really meet what they say they do.

If any of it distorts (speakers, or amp) turn it down before you damage something.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
TripleOG--here is a pic that shows the Seizmik rearview that clears the stereo bar just fine. Also--the I have a RAM Mount mounted to the passenger grab handle--it's the type with a U bolt that is meant for motorcycle handle bars. It's infinitely adjustable and works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the pics. That helps a lot. How do you like the sound quality? We're the two speakers down by the seats extra or do they come with the set up? I called them and spoke with them for about 5 min about what I wanted to do and I guess I still don't understand. My understanding was the base set up is the 4 speaker top. You can add a head unit and rgb led light gets onto them for extra(the route I'll go). Then if you want to upgrade the amp and add the extra 2 8" speakers or subs that's extra. Is the two extra speakers down by the seat extra on top of that? Sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The sound is awesome and the build quality is great. It is loud if you want it to be but the sound quality is great at any level. The 2 speakers down low are subs--and they are extra. Here's the breakdown--

1. The 4 speaker "soundbar" is the starting point--it has 4 6 inch speakers with the amp built into the box. The starting point would not have the head unit--it would simply have a bluetooth receiver that you run from your phone. There is no doubt that just this piece alone would be far superior to the MTX soundbar and would be more than sufficient without adding more.
2. The 2 speaker set in the roof is add-on "pod"--for additional cost. They are 8 inch speakers. Adding this piece means that the amp is upgraded. These are the ones that are probably overkill--and aren't really needed. I love them and the quality of sound but they aren't a must to get you what you want.
3. The 2 speakers down low are 8 inch subs. They are add-on--the package is 2 8 inch subs in enclosures along with the amp--also mounted up inside the upper box (to keep out of water). I love this piece and believe it's more than worth the cost--it creates the depth of sound that I was looking for. They do not impact leg room and are up out of the way. They sound great.
4. The RGB lights are add-ons--a total "extra" that I jumped on during a moment of weakness.

I shopped around a lot and I simply couldn't beat the price when I started piecing together components--not to mention the time that was saved. I'm picky and had a picture in my mind of a system that was a bit over the top. That's what they put together for me and I love it. You certainly don't need all of the pieces. I've had the MTX bar and have been around rides with every soundbar out there (wetsounds, bass tubes, other MTX)--the base 6 inch speaker set up will outperform any of those--no doubt. That's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.