·
Registered
2022 G4 XP Deluxe General Misconduct
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
Well, we are finally doing it.

We are going to U-Haul the G4 to Hot Springs for a day,
Then on to the Mississippi at Helena, AR.
Drop off the U-Haul and ride the Trans America Trail all the way to Tahlequah, OK.

We'll float for the weekend before heading home to Noble, OK.
Our G4 is completely street legal with DOT tires and all the other requirements.
We have the roll map, paper maps, and GPS (Smartphones) so I figure we should be prepared enough in that area.
We aren't new to camping, so that's nothing to worry about.
Just changed all the fluids and broke in a new belt as well as got the spare tire mounted.
Is there anything we should be concerned with?

Just making sure we are crossing all the T's.

Thank you for any advice. (places to stop, places NOT to stop, etc.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ok, so here are the prelim. plans. (If you know of a better place to stop, please don't hesitate to jump in here)
Mon. Bear Creek Lake Rec Area
Tues. Woolly Hollow State Park
Wed. Wolf Pen
Thur. Devils Den State Park
i thought i read that devils den didn't allow sxs? i would question other state parks i would think. when you say your sxs is street legal, do you mean it can pass a state inspection or it has license plates exactly like what is on your car? i have seen some videos of people fighting the system and getting their sxs truly road legal with the same type plates as on their cars. if this is the case, i would think you would have good arguments to go where you want to.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought i read that devils den didn't allow sxs? i would question other state parks i would think. when you say your sxs is street legal, do you mean it can pass a state inspection or it has license plates exactly like what is on your car? i have seen some videos of people fighting the system and getting their sxs truly road legal with the same type plates as on their cars. if this is the case, i would think you would have good arguments to go where you want to.
Yep, completely legal for road use with a tag, blinkers, horn, hazards, DOT tires, windshield, stop/tail lights, etc.
Yeah, it's not much of a fight in most states anymore.
Here in OK we just get them tagged like any other MV.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yep, completely legal for road use with a tag, blinkers, horn, hazards, DOT tires, windshield, stop/tail lights, etc.
Yeah, it's not much of a fight in most states anymore.
Here in OK we just get them tagged like any other MV.
so jealous of some of you guys. tx is about the most unfriendly sxs state. plus, 98% of the land here is privately owned. so our only riding are the parks. after riding arkansas, hatfield and colorado, trailering a couple hours for a 1500 acre park just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so jealous of some of you guys. tx is about the most unfriendly sxs state. plus, 98% of the land here is privately owned. so our only riding are the parks. after riding arkansas, hatfield and colorado, trailering a couple hours for a 1500 acre park just doesn't do it for me.
You could always make them tell you why they won't.
I had a sandrail that OK said "We don't tag sandrails."
I made them tell me why not.
DOT Tires? Done.
Signals? Done.
Stop/Tail lights? Restraints? Mirrors? Done and done.

How does TX define a "Street-legal Moto vehicle"?
Meet all of the requirements and ask them again.

This is how I got my Sand Rail legally tagged in OK without saying it was a VW BUG with a donor VIN.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You could always make them tell you why they won't.............
i think it could be done. my biggest hangup is i bought it in oklahoma and didn't pay any sales tax. that would be the first thing i would have to do and so far the cost just wasn't worth it to me. though i keep inching my way that direction.

by the way, nice job on the map. i didn't know you could get google to do stuff like that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We made it back.
Overall, great experience, Buggy ran flawlessly.
Camper Cabins in the State Parks is the way to go!
Day 1 was driving Hot Springs to West-Helena and camping at the MS State Park.
Day 2 was super hot and long / boring. From Mississippi River State Park to Woolly Hollow State Park.
Day 3 was super hot and long / into the Ozarks, so not boring. From Woolly Hollow SP to Devils Den SP.
The gravel/rock mountain roads are HARD on the buggies loaded down, but we made it.
Day 4 was recovery day at Devils Den, although there was nothing to do since everything is dried up and the caves are closed.
Day 5 was on to Tahlequah and floated the Illinois River.

Ran into 2 Park Rangers that asked about the street legal process, but all other LE just waved as we passed.

Good time, won't be doing it again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WON't do it again? that's a trip i am dying to do. why won't?
My wife wasn't a fan of the heat (102 on day 2), dust, and rough trails.
Had the weather cooperated a bit and Arkansas not been BONE DRY, it wouldn't have been so bad.

We did it, and may do another trip across Arkansas, but it will be in the Gladiator, not the General.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad it went well (other than the weather) that's a trip I'd like to pull off. Maybe I can have my wife drop me off and I just drive home on that route. Might take my boys with me.
Thanks Dustin,
All in all, I enjoyed it and even with the weather, it was better than setting at home for a week.
An adventure to be sure.

We loaded into a 20' U-Haul truck and unloaded in West Helena.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts