Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well now I'm leaving town tomorrow going to Detroit and I wont be able to work on the general until I get home sat...grrrrr I'm suppose to have my windshield here and the rear glass. I called another shop and was asking about the doors being back ordered and the parts guy me talk to the mechanic. the mechanic said the glass windshield they have will not fit in the frame, I ordered the tip out and he was trying to install the fixed glass lock and ride windshield. he said they couldn't get the glass in or the wiper mounted on the glass and he said the tops of the doors will not go in and that these doors will not work with the lock and ride windshields..hmmmm just curious if anyone else has been having issues with glass or door uppers fitting. thanks boys

·
1,560 Posts
Waiting on my front glass, wiper and heater. Don't know if an off the shelf window will work. FJ has his installed maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I will let you know soon. I just started installing my tip out glass on my Deluxe, but have not set the glass in the frame yet. You have to remove the roof off, front visor, and sound bar to install the hinges. I would have been better off had they never installed these when assembling at the dealer.

The cage is similar to my Ranger where the front cross member bolts to the side roll bars at the top. I suppose if its too tight at the top, you could add some washers where the front cross-member attaches to the sides to widen the top of the cage. Some mods on the Ranger forums recommended washers here to prevent creaking of cage as it flexes.

Hopefully no issues.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok I finished installing my glass tip out and my rear glass panel. I have lots of pics and will try to upload some in a couple posts.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here are a couple photos showing the gap on the left and right side of the lock & ride as well as the bottom fit.

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
408 Posts
It was a little bit of work to install this windshield on the Deluxe. First you had to remove the roof, the visor, and the sound bar. I had to tie up the sound bar to prevent unwiring it. You have to drill a 4 holes in the plastic on the visor to accept the studs on the hinges. You also have to drill 4 holes in the top of the dash for the latch.

The fit was ok but could have been tighter inside the lock & ride cage. My Ranger was certainly tighter. The latch is much improved over the Ranger. Ranger had a single pin that stuck up from the dash, the General has a real positive latch that won't let go. It is rather violent to snap the handle down into the latch or to release it. It seems your going to rip the dash off, but the latch has a metal plate below the dash and a heavy plastic plate on top that sandwiches the dash between the two. Of course the tip out has 3 positions; shut, tip up, and full open. The heads of the screws that hold the latch are too small. I added washers under them so they would not tear through the hole in the latch plate.

I noticed that the weather seal around the widow lays on the lock & ride cage on the sides and the bottom, but the window is too short to lay for the weather seal to lay on the ouside of the visor at the top. Instead it squeezes up against the bottom of the visor and sorta wants to bind the hinge such that the window wont rest against the bottom unless pulled tight and latched.

All said, I think its a good windshield. Its been my experience about everything accessory has some quirk that needs attention.

If anyone has any questions or needs other pics I would be happy to provide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool thanks for the write up and the pics.

Reactions: bluesbass

·
1,560 Posts
Thanks! I'm in the process of putting in the heater. Good to see what it takes to put in the window. I have to take the whole dash out! All the nice switches I put in for the lights have to come back out. Thankful the heater came in first. You rock bud! Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fjk I clicked on your last pic and my phone got bombed with popup ads from photo bucket

·
Registered
408 Posts
Those tires and wheels look great. What are they and what size? Is it lifted any?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a queation for those of us installing our tipout windshield ourself. How do you know where to drill the holes for the latch? Is there a template or dimples on the dash where yoir suppose to drill? Thanks guys

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a queation for those of us installing our tipout windshield ourself. How do you know where to drill the holes for the latch? Is there a template or dimples on the dash where yoir suppose to drill? Thanks guys
You essentially use the latch plate as the template for where to drill the holes when the windshield is closed. The directions have you installing the hinges first, then shutting the windshield with the bottom latch plate attached to the lift handle. This places the latch plate on the dash where it needs to be when the windshield is closed. At this point you mark a couple of the holes through the latch plate, onto the dash. I drilled and attached those two bolts, then opened the window and drilled the other two. Directions supplied with the windshield are pretty clear on this.

You also have to drill 4 x 3/4" holes on the visor to accept the hinges. There are marks on the back of the visor for this. I had to file a little to get the hings pins to clear the hole in the plastic, but no big issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts