Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Sorry guys not been on here much in the last couple of weeks been busy in the Garage when not working playing with yet another way to spend money. Got called to a road runoff and guy slid off the road and hit a stump with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee well a bad hit and only Pl/Pd insurance. he paid towing cleaned out his things and handed over title for it. Well after looking at it for a couple of days thought way to clean to send to scrap so it got put into my garage. and been working on it in my off time. Pulled the pass frame horn off the front of engine and close to its proper location the stiped the front found harmonic broke timing cover broke chain and cam gear broke oil pan front lip bent thought I could straighten that but all else looked good so thought buy the parts get engine back together and if runs then go on well before I got parts removed the low pinion front axle because it was bent well getting worse now but still doable also found a small dent in oil pan so thought just pull it well bye this time found a parts jeep with all body parts needed and same color also a high pinion axle in front also needed so $300 later I now have two jeeps and no looking back. back to fixer got oil pan off and oil pump is also broke off of block that little dent in side just deep enough to break oil pump so now new HV oil pump chain and gears timing cover gasket oil pan gasket and engine running. so can move forward :grin2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
geez .. Jeep. Just-Empty-Every-Pocket

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mite as well follow threw now been 3 weeks ago I started this jeep thing and have made great head way with my free time got it back on its own drives really nice so just like the General cant leave stock so the second phase starts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to start a Iron rock 6.5 long arm 3 link lift should work and did just fine. Got hood vents on to control temps on trails and now working on a front bumper kit to mount the winch. Now what tires and wheels thinking something to match the General wheels with BFG Krawlers. :grin2: The ones on it now are some used I picked up 255/70/16, then gears and lockers and who knows what else now to install slip yolk elminater I just got

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dang Dude, nice work. I'm not allowed to use the names .. Jeep, Boat or Shelby.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks like one a friend has, the darn thing just keeps on going. While his parents have a newer Jeep Compass that has been in the shop more than have been in it. Including a new motor, front end etc.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ummm....why work on a Jeep instead of a General?

I don't understand? Like when I was biking...I don't have money for drugs, alcohol, accessories for the truck...it all goes into the Harley. You know HD...Hundred Dollars!!

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummm....why work on a Jeep instead of a General?

I don't understand? Like when I was biking...I don't have money for drugs, alcohol, accessories for the truck...it all goes into the Harley. You know HD...Hundred Dollars!!

Pirate
The jeep just came along couldn't just let the crusher get it and I love to tinker. I have not really missed the mud/play truck but when I saw how clean this thing was I had to do it the G is and has been the top pass time and will be. But there is always the time when a 4x4 truck is also Nice. and the Jeep has its place also So now have the best of both world's>:)

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the slip yolk done and rear shaft installed got bumper finished and mounted looking to keep the same colors on Jeep as on the G so the orange made it to the fare lead also got orange d ring's coming and going orange on steering upgrade linkage and same look on wheels for it as the General!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well just thought I would do 1 last update on the jeep build. New gears, lockers front and back tires wheels led lights and now have another option to play with other then the General!

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
No worries guys, I have a tow strap and winch if you get stuck.
My Rubi is a sleeper
4:88 gears
4:1 atlas transfer case
35” Goodyear Duratracs
Bilstein shocks
Chipped computer
Eaton lockers front and rear, a course the axles are Dana 44’s (reinforced)
Electric Sway bar disconnects

A perfect tow vehicle and my name is on the Infamous “El Hill” plaque located next to the famous hill at the Rincon Indian Reservation ( now closed) Driver baby!!!!
There’s only eight names on the plaque put there by JP magazine 14 years ago and if your a broken parts collector it’s a wonder land.

I love my Jeep, always had one since 1968,

But alas this a General forum and even though they are not true four wheel drive, they are a blast to drive on the rocks.....bang! Bang! Bang! And like the Eveready Bunny, “they take a licking and keep on ticking”

Cheers
Baja Charlie
PS “Jeepy is in the corner”

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts