Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed recently a noise.
Its definitely coming from the rear area.
My troubleshooting has gone like this;
I coasted down a hill and with the engine idling, the noise picked up in frequency.
I jacked it up with the wheels off the ground and ran them. Definitely coming from the rear area.
With the rear wheels off, still heard it.

At low speeds, it almost sounds like a rub. Like a "scuff scuff scuff" sound.
But at higher speeds, it sounds much more staccato and solid.
I've felt the CV joints, they feel solid.
There is about 5800 miles on this General 1000 4. Its a 2019.

So based on my attempted process of elimination, this is not the engine and its not the tires/wheels or brakes.
But that is about ALL I can be sure of.
I hope to God its not in the diff.
I hope its something much easier/cheaper to fix.

Anyone else heard a noise like this?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Have you kept your clutches blown out?
Could be something in the clutches needs replacing. Have you looked at your clutches?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a brand new clutch, it was replaced days ago. But I think I may have noticed this noise from before the clutch drama I just went through. I also switched out the tires and wheels to a much less aggressive tread for Spring/Summer/Fall. So its less road noise and I think that might be why the noise I describe seems more pronounced.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Both clutches new?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, just the Primary.
I also just noticed the noise is not at all present until I've driven about a mile or so. Might only be audible when hot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you applied a small amount of brake pedal while moving? Ours makes noise from the brake pads rubbing. Needs springs. Found some for the front, but the local ACE hasn’t received any lately. Hellman #93 spring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it doesn't increase or decrease with the application of brake. I also tried it coasting in neutral. The noise increases frequency with speed even though the engine was idling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are the symptoms of a failing secondary clutch?
My primary clutch failed and I had to get it replaced by the dealer. If the secondary is going, I'll try and do it myself.

·
Registered
2021 G4 XP Deluxe
31 Posts
The secondary clutch does not require any special tools to remove or disassemble. If it were mine I would take it apart and see if anything looks worn, cracked, or broken. I am also going to take a guess here and suggest that you still have the square pucks rather than round rollers on the secondary (these will be visible as soon as the CVT cover if off). If they are the square pucks and they haven't already worn into the clutch body swap them with round rollers. Visit hunterworks.com and you will find several videos on the secondary clutch that will walk you through how to disassemble it. There is a press that you can buy to assist with the disassembly but I have taken a bunch of them apart without it just by holding down the backing plate while taking it apart (I did recently buy the press since I have 4 Polaris machines and it makes things easier).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I will check all of that out!
Do you think a Primary clutch going bad would mean that the secondary is also due? Is it about use and miles?
This has about 5800 miles on it. Is 5800 typical for a primary clutch to go out and in my case also the secondary?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
All depends on the riding and conditions of the riding, also maintenance on the clutches by keeping them blown out. Dust is very hard on clutches!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts