Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 General XP 4 Trailhead Edition
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had both. I've had the Polaris hard doors for 3 seasons. They work pretty good but they are really heavy which I think is a big part of way they vibrate so bad on bumpy roads and such. The windows open they say but basically, I'd be afraid to drive with them open. I've got them so they seal up pretty good after a lot of adjusting but the tops still want to vibrate in and out when going on anything that isn't smooth. I generally put them on in late oct and take them off in late march. It takes about 1.5 hrs to switch them, adjust the latches, and then I still have to store them. There are plenty of times in April and May I wish I could easily take them on and off. I think the noise in the cab about doubles with the hard doors on to.

I keep seeing everyone talking about the Polaris uppers I know they take some work to get adjusted but seems like the frames would be a lot easier to bend. I also like the idea that the window can be rolled down or easily remove the uppers. It would be nice to throw them back on if its cold or rainy in the spring or fall to. Seems like there are still plenty of people looking for hard doors with them being on backorder it might be a good time to make the switch. Curious if anyone has ever had or been around both.

· Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
5,022 Posts
Well...I had the dealer install the Polaris Heater/Defroster when I bought mine back in May 2016. That heater will drive you out of the machine in a snowstorm, so I've never considered
upper doors.
Wind gets ugly while its raining...put on our good rain suits. This past May, up above O'Haver Lake on Whale Hill...30 minutes of small, but hard hail...heater and rain suits was all it took to be comfortable. That was about 10,000 ft elevation.
Pirate

· Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...I had the dealer install the Polaris Heater/Defroster when I bought mine back in May 2016. That heater will drive you out of the machine in a snowstorm, so I've never considered
upper doors.
Wind gets ugly while its raining...put on our good rain suits. This past May, up above O'Haver Lake on Whale Hill...30 minutes of small, but hard hail...heater and rain suits was all it took to be comfortable. That was about 10,000 ft elevation.
Pirate
I have the Polaris heater in my 22 also, it is a lot warmer than the inferno I had in my 21. I also have the tusk seat heaters so as long as I can keep the wind off of me, I'm not too worried about staying warm. I do need some sort of uppers to keep the snow out when I put tracks on, and it gets to -30f here and even with a side wind blowing in at 20 degrees it's hard to stay warm. I just like the idea of the convenience of taking the uppers on and off quickly compared to the full doors.

· Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe RC
150 Posts
There are several companies that make upper door kits. If you read forums and search, you will find that every brand has likes and dislikes. You will find that some/many owners of all brands will complain about fit and/or sealing. Lately I have read that several owners have had the clear plastic windows crack at low temperatures, some have problems with stitching, and others have problems with zippers. I don't know of any brand that does not have owner complaints.

My Spike uppers are about 2 1/2 years old. Mine fit pretty good, but the upper front corners catch wind at high speeds are start to pull out. Probably every brand that I have read about have some owners with this issue. Often straps are added, I added some bungee cord to help on mine. Some owners say they trailer with them on at 70 mph. I would bet most owners of nearly every brand would not recommend doing that.

You will get many opinions of what is 'best'.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
5,900 Posts
I have the Polaris heater in my 22 also, it is a lot warmer than the inferno I had in my 21. I also have the tusk seat heaters so as long as I can keep the wind off of me, I'm not too worried about staying warm. I do need some sort of uppers to keep the snow out when I put tracks on, and it gets to -30f here and even with a side wind blowing in at 20 degrees it's hard to stay warm. I just like the idea of the convenience of taking the uppers on and off quickly compared to the full doors.
Nothing like a good North Dakota "breeze" blowing at 30-50 MPH.
Don't miss that wind or cold at all. Do miss the good ice fishing though.

· Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are several companies that make upper door kits. If you read forums and search, you will find that every brand has likes and dislikes.
Yeah, I've read all the information. I think the biggest issue is the inconsistency of the Polaris cage makes designing a door that fits right away every time almost impossible. I'm down to keeping my hard doors or running Polaris uppers after reading everything. Although I saw Only Generals teaser and they look like they are going the right direction with their design.

Nothing like a good North Dakota "breeze" blowing at 30-50 MPH.
Don't miss that wind or cold at all. Do miss the good ice fishing though.
You aren't kidding about the ND breeze it has been ridiculous this year. 12F, 35mph winds, 1ft of snow, and cleaning the driveway a handful of times all before Thanksgiving has me rethinking my life choices the last two weeks.

· Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No your not
I see you have full doors guessing you have some of the same issues. Have you ever been in one with uppers? I've seen them firsthand but never been in one. I know my ranger with soft doors was a lot quieter then my General with hard doors.

· Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,649 Posts
I have not….I also didn’t install these, the hack dealer did. I believe I can get them better than they did. I bought another set of hinges and bushings and strikers to make the swap quicker. When I put my half doors back on they weren’t right either. Got them pretty good now so I may try the full doors or sell them…need to talk to the mrs first

· Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not….I also didn’t install these, the hack dealer did. I believe I can get them better than they did. I bought another set of hinges and bushings and strikers to make the swap quicker. When I put my half doors back on they weren’t right either. Got them pretty good now so I may try the full doors or sell them…need to talk to the mrs first
Its frustrating because you spend all that time adjusting and then turn around and swap doors. I bought a second set of hinges also but you still have to adjust the strikers every time.

· Registered
5,900 Posts
Yeah, I've read all the information. I think the biggest issue is the inconsistency of the Polaris cage makes designing a door that fits right away every time almost impossible. I'm down to keeping my hard doors or running Polaris uppers after reading everything. Although I saw Only Generals teaser and they look like they are going the right direction with their design.

You aren't kidding about the ND breeze it has been ridiculous this year. 12F, 35mph winds, 1ft of snow, and cleaning the driveway a handful of times all before Thanksgiving has me rethinking my life choices the last two weeks.

We were born and raised on our farm/ranch in central ND and I often wondered how many times we moved the same snow. Move it here today, blows that night and move it there tomorrow.
When people tell me it is windy here in AZ, I often laugh because in ND that is just a breeze!

Reactions: lueck89 and kc81c

· Registered
2021 polaris general xp
3 Posts
First time writing on here. I javelin a 21 general xp with seizmick uppers and I love them . You see alot of negative comments about fit. They may not be perfect but they work great and they have a lever that goes on the upper part of the door that closes them tight No rattling. I don't ride much in the winter but I do plow with it and it makes a difference. And no I don't have a heater. I run my doors most of the year here in New Hampshire. Until it's to hot then I take them off . But the plastic windows do zipper down and velcro. Install takes a little time but taking them on and off is a breeze. Hope this helps

· Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First time writing on here. I javelin a 21 general xp with seizmick uppers and I love them . You see alot of negative comments about fit. They may not be perfect but they work great and they have a lever that goes on the upper part of the door that closes them tight No rattling. I don't ride much in the winter but I do plow with it and it makes a difference. And no I don't have a heater. I run my doors most of the year here in New Hampshire. Until it's to hot then I take them off . But the plastic windows do zipper down and velcro. Install takes a little time but taking them on and off is a breeze. Hope this helps
I have always had good luck with seizmik as a company it's to bad they don't make their doors for the 4 seater.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts