Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my Blue General a couple days ago. I have a question about the air intakes. I took the hood off and noticed there is no opening to the outside air. Am I missing something? I thought the openings on the sides of the hood allowed outside air to go into the intakes.:confused:

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
If you look around the space under the hood, there is plenty of openings for air to get in.

Keep in mind that "efficiency experts" often do a home efficiency inspection and then tell you the tiny cracks around windows and doors add up to about a 3ft x 3ft square opening in a wall. So there is plenty of open space for air to get to the motor intakes.

Although I have had wild thoughts of getting a late 60's Mopar vacuum operated ram air scoop...wouldn't that be cool?

Pirate

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just picked up my Blue General a couple days ago. I have a question about the air intakes. I took the hood off and noticed there is no opening to the outside air. Am I missing something? I thought the openings on the sides of the hood allowed outside air to go into the intakes.:confused:
The hood leaks like a screen door....have no fear.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
are the two pipes sticking up under the hood both air intakes?
One's is an engine air intake and the other is a clutch breather intake

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yes both are air intakes, one for the engine and one for the clutches. Also the intake on the outside just behind the drivers door is also a clutch intake.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
But get a couple of these from Outerwears to put over both the ones under the hood:
20-1094-05

Install them like this:

I seem to recall the hose clamp is already there. Be sure to wiggle the Outerwears all the way down and the hose clamp around where the
ducts come up through the "under hood deck".
The Outerwears fabric stops anything larger than 5 microns. So you may find a little very fine dust in the CVT and the same on the outside of
the air cleaner element.
Oh, and get one of these to fit over the air cleaner element:

This will stop virtually all the dust coming from the under hood air intake from getting into the engine.
Again, you may find a little fine dust on the Outerwears sleeve...but not much.

Me, I have four of the small Outwears and two of the larger Outerwears. If its been a dusty day riding,
I take them off, wash them in a little left over dish washing soapy water, rinse and set to dry. Don't wring them out,
just set to dry on a towel. They will dry quickly. But I just change them out, wash the dusty ones, let 'em dry and put them in Ziploc
bags for the next time.

I change air filter elements yearly. They are that clean! But inspect for tan on the outside, you can shop-vac that off. See tan on the
inside, change out the element.

Blow the dust out of the clutches, belt and CVT housing. Do this every couple of days when on a week long riding trip. And when
you get home!

Thus, you'll keep the dust damage to almost nothing, and lengthen the life of your engine!

Oh and there is one of these "grilles" on each front fender...they provide plenty of air to the clutch cooling and combustion air intake:

Just sayin'

Pirate

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My two pesos worth
Having owned a 2015 XP1000 RZR and a 2017 General and serviced them both in regards to air cleaners and CVT blow out maintenance, here’s what I found.

RZR Engine Air Intake System

The air intake system sucks!! Every 100 miles the air filter needs to be cleaned. Put a pre-filter on the air cleaner and wham! You just lost 10hp.
Why? I don’t have a clue as to why but it is. There is a modification you can do for a mere $400, a S&B Particle Separator. No more problems, clean the air filter once a year. Great product but loud. Did I mention it’s LOUD!

The General Engine Air Intake System

Totally different than a RZR, it works great! Pre-filters no discernible performance difference and I’ve gone on 600 mile trips and performing my after trip servicing the filter looks brand new???
I don’t know why but it does. No S&B Particle Separator needed.

The CVT air intake systems

The RZR wins! The General just seems to suck up dust more. I just put Outerwears pre filters on my intakes, a mountain fit frogskin on the grille (Pirate has a great tip on sealing it) and a blow hole CVT exhaust fan from Ole Todd at Hunterworks. I have a short 320 mile trip coming up at the end of the month, so I’ll update on what I find in my after trip servicing.

Well that’s my story and besides .... it was just two pesos

Cheers Baja Charlie

Note: S&B was working on a CVT System like their Particle Separator System for engine air but it looks like they stopped their development???

·
Registered
2019 General G2 Ride Comand
174 Posts
Thanks Pirate for the info. I ordered a set of Outer Wears for Air and Clutch Intakes and Air Filter. Spent three days of trail riding on very dusty trails and gravel roads and after blowing out the Clutches I read this thread about Filters, perfect timing as they say. Currently free shipping...

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Do you know which one is engine and which one is clutch. I believe the one on driver side is clutch but not 100% sure
I don't remember. With the engine at idle one side has suction, that the engine side. If you have someone rev the engine, that side will increase. The other will develope suction that will also increase with engine speed but will be nothing at idle, that is your clutch side

·
Registered
317 Posts
Blew the dust out of our clutches, air filter assy, and intake tubes for the first time this spring (880 miles, 150 of which are our miles...). As expected LOTS of dust came out.

I had the 2 intake outwears and side clutch intake vent cover ready to install right after that. I’ve probably put on 40ish miles so far so I’ll check out the dust situation again soon to see if it made an improvement. Takes 30 minutes so I’m hoping to only have to do it 2 or 3 times a year based on our relatively low miles we put on.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
But get a couple of these from Outerwears to put over both the ones under the hood:
20-1094-05
View attachment 65711
Install them like this:
View attachment 65713
I seem to recall the hose clamp is already there. Be sure to wiggle the Outerwears all the way down and the hose clamp around where the
The Outerwears fabric stops anything larger than 5 microns. So you may find a little very fine dust in the CVT and the same on the outside of
the air cleaner element.
View attachment 65714
This will stop virtually all the dust coming from the under hood air intake from getting into the engine.

Me, I have four of the small Outwears and two of the larger Outerwears. If its been a dusty day riding,
I take them off, wash them in a little left over dish washing soapy water, rinse and set to dry. Don't wring them out,
just set to dry on a towel. They will dry quickly. But I just change them out, wash the dusty ones, let 'em dry and put them in Ziploc
bags for the next time.

I change air filter elements yearly. They are that clean! But inspect for tan on the outside, you can shop-vac that off. See tan on the

Blow the dust out of the clutches, belt and CVT housing. Do this every couple of days when on a week long riding trip. And when
you get home!

Thus, you'll keep the dust damage to almost nothing, and lengthen the life of your engine!

Oh and there is one of these "grilles" on each front fender...they provide plenty of air to the clutch cooling and combustion air intake:
View attachment 65715
Just sayin'

Pirate
Would I order these the same part numbers for the 2020 xp? I haven't picked it up yet so unable to look. Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Polaris General Hunter
113 Posts
Would I order these the same part numbers for the 2020 xp? I haven't picked it up yet so unable to look. Thanks
Yes,
The air filter and clutch/air intakes haven't changed for the 2020 models, including the XP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
20-1094-05
View attachment 65711
Install them like this:
View attachment 65713
the air cleaner element.
View attachment 65714

bags for the next time.

you get home!

View attachment 65715
Just sayin'

Pirate
Thank you for the tip on the pre-filters. I just ordered all three of them. The dust we encountered on the trails in the Rockies is extremely fine and gets everywhere. I am sure these pre-filters will help. I appreciate the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts